Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Ranchero - Finished ! 8-31-12

Here I used a piece of balsa wood and some pins to locate the rear axle housing and make the suspension pieces .

Here's the finished rear axle assembly .

These wheels are from my parts box . I'm thinking about painting the spokes a flat gray like the old ET mags .

And the tires from the parts box .

I'm going to start prepping the body next , so hopefully next week I'll have some pretty pictures to post .

Thanks for looking !

BOB .

Edited by TooOld

This one is sweet looking always wanted an old Torino/ Ranchero. Being a chevy guy have had 2 Elky's instead. on my second

one now been sitting in the garage for a few years now. needs an engine and put back together.

Can't wait to see this done . might have to get one of these on my list of to do kits.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

No paint yet , but I have managed to get some stuff accomplished . The chassis is finished and so are the wheels and tires .

Mainly I've been doing body work . The interior and the windows have been fit to the body , so has the rear bumper and taillights .

The hood and front bumper / grille really didn't fit very well at all , so most of my time has been spent working on them . I've added strips to the edges of the hood so it fits the opening better , it still needs some work so it fits flush with the body . The bumper / grille is getting there , alot of filling and sanding on the body to get it this close ! The rest of the body is really straight , just a couple of minor imperfections . This is my first try at a resin body and I'm pretty pleased with it so far .

I hope you like what I've got so far , and your comments and suggestions are welcome .

BOB .

Edited by TooOld

Thanks Ray .

I spent about an hour last night carefully sanding the back of the grille to open it up . This resin is flexible and when it gets thin , like around the grille , it bends when you don't want it to ! It still needs to be cleaned up a bit .

I need some suggestions on what to do with the headlights . I would like to use clear lenses , but am afraid of ruining it by trying to drill out the resin . Any ideas ?

Thanks for looking .

BOB.

Edited by TooOld

I need some suggestions on what to do with the headlights . I would like to use clear lenses , but am afraid of ruining it by trying to drill out the resin . Any ideas?

Drill 'em out. Molded in headlights never look good IMHO. Start with a 1/8" bit and enlarge the holes with a round needle file. It'll be a lot of work with four headlights to do, but the results will be worth it.

Thanks Casey and Bart . I drilled them out with no problems and am going to use the lenses from the Chevelle wagon kit .

The body got it's final coat of primer this morning and will sit for a couple of days before I prep it for paint .

In the mean time I finished the interior last night . I've never spent much time on interiors because they just can't be seen unless it's a convertible . This resin interior is lacking any detail so I added a few things . I made arm rests and window cranks , used embossing powder for the carpet , and added floor mats and seatbelts . The shifter is from the Mach I kit . It's not the cleanest looking , but like I said , it will never be seen anyway .

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated .

Edited by TooOld

Incredible detail Bob.

But I have a question ,,, why 2 different makes of wheels? I see you have Ansen Apollos on the front and some different Torque Thrust style wheels on the back. Is it a replica od a specific car from your past?

Steve , I knew somebody would ask that ! I have the complete set of Ansen wheels , but wanted a deeper dish on the rear , so I just used something close ( A.K.A. parts box ) . And I actually did have an El Camino with ET's on the front and Appliance wheels on the back . They looked almost identical except for the center caps !

Awesome job on a great subject. I will have to get me one of these, I have been gathering parts to build a stock torino out of the johan stock car kit. this would go with it great.

I was starting to wonder if I'd ever get any paint on this one ! I sprayed two coats early this morning and it looks pretty good . I think after it dries for a couple of days I might wet sand it and spray another coat . Have to think about that a bit , don't want to ruin a good thing . That means it will be the end of next week before I can polish it and start foiling it .

Thanks for looking .

Edited by TooOld

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Austin ! I've been working on another kit for a while , but started putting the stripes on the Ranchero yesterday . The first one was looking pretty good when I screwed it up ! Situation normal , decals don't like me . Knowing I had to order another set anyway I decided to try painting them .

Just finished them this morning , not perfect but I think I'll keep them !

Edited by TooOld

• 3 weeks later...