Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 iHobby show - Round2 2013 Announcements

Tom Kren

I guess I was part of the problem rather than the solution.

I doubt it. The problem is old-fashioned trade shows can no longer compete with the internet, both from a cost and marketing standpoint. I bet Revell's facebook pages gets more views/visits in a single day than their booth would've gotten the entire weekend at iHobby.

I doubt it. The problem is old-fashioned trade shows can no longer compete with the internet, both from a cost and marketing standpoint. I bet Revell's facebook pages gets more views/visits in a single day than their booth would've gotten the entire weekend at iHobby.

BINGO!!! I love the hobby trade show. I had been going since it was RCHTA back in the 80's. I met many folks and am glad I did. (even Neil Young!)

But I kinda applaud Revell for the guts of not going, saving the large expense of a trade show (maybe spending the savings on new tools)

It's called CHANGE.....the only constant. When you can spend big dollars to reach those that will come to Cleveland or ZERO dollars reaching anyone with a smart phone or computer......no brainer.

Why do so many assume cost was the factor on attendance. It may have been. When I asked Revell why they were not going, the indication was Hobbico, their parent, made the decision. For all we know there may be disagreements on how the show is run. But Revell said they were still supporting the Make and Take, which is a considerable cost just there.

Even at last year's IHOBBY there were a bunch of empty booths and some vendors packed up after the trade days. To me, the big opportunity is exposing the youth (of all ages) in the public days. Don Yost and Matt Wells were the only aftermarket vendors I recollect at last year's and saw on the list for this year

But they are in reality only reaching a very small percentage at the hobby shows and most of them are already into the hobby to begin with.

They are reaching 100's of times more online than they could ever dream of reaching through the shows and it costs them nearly nothing to do it.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

But they are in reality only reaching a very small percentage at the hobby shows and most of them are already into the hobby to begin with.

They are reaching 100's of times more online than they could ever dream of reaching through the shows and it costs them nearly nothing to do it.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

I don't disagree with what you just said. There is such a thing as "marketing" across multiple channels to reach the broadest audience and widest demographics. You can have annocements and videos all you want to orient people. "Hands on" is where you can get an extra level of satisfaction

"Hands on" is where you can get an extra level of satisfaction

And that seems to be what the Make & Take booth satisfied- the hands on building experience.

I'm not saying cost was the only reason Revell, Inc. didn't attend, and I don't even think it was the main reason. As you hinted at, I think the tipping point for attending vs. not attending may have been a year or two ago, and the largest car model oriented manufacturer chose not to attend (for whatever reasons), but the significance (to me) is their absence, not why they didn't attend.

DSCN2288-vi.jpg

After reading through, all I can say is this: I hope this is a quick mockup advertising the fact that they are going to release an all new tool, 1/25 scale 1953-ish Ford COE Box Van... If this is the case, I'm good for at LEAST a case of them! Box trucks, tractor-trailers, fire engines...the possibilities are endless and AMT would sell Tens of Thousands of them!!! I'm not holding my breath, but I will be keeping my eyes open for further developments!

Two downsides for a manufacturer not displaying at the iHobby show is that some hobby shop owners attend the show searching out the new items for their business. Yes, they can see things on the web, but the opportunity to visit with factory reps and give feedback is lost (see Donn's comments) when they are not there. The same can be said when the general public is denied access to the model companies.

As social media and internet popularity continues to grow, more companies will use them to promote their products, just a simple fact of life.

Mike ,

I agree ! But because the puddin' heads and bean counters say it's so does not make it the right thing to do .

The train , RC , and slot car crowd were well represented and they did quite well saleswise . Quite a few people walked out of the exhibit with said merchandise under their arms , quite happy with their purchases .

What it costs these larger companies to attend these shows is mere chump change when it's compared to their annual gross intake .

Yes , the Internet is a wonderful tool . Without it , there would be no international sales for my business , for that matter , very little sales at all !

However , nothing beats hands on , face to face , greet the people , show off the merchandise , sales formats ! If I can do both , so can the big boys !

FIY all: The WILL be back in Cleveland next year. There is also an option for 2014. Donn's right, where were the aftermarket guys? Price a problem? Share a booth with one or two other vendors. Great way to share the hobby and get product recognition. It's a trade show #1. Money making #2. Get your product noticed by other dealers. It could open up new sales avenues! I'm also a train guy. Although they were well represented, it was mostly beginner stuff. Not much hardcore hobby stuff. But they were trying to attract NEW model railroaders. That was they're mission at I Hobby. It's all in how you look at the show and what you expect vs the overall mission. Aaron Dupont

After reading through, all I can say is this: I hope this is a quick mockup advertising the fact that they are going to release an all new tool, 1/25 scale 1953-ish Ford COE Box Van... If this is the case, I'm good for at LEAST a case of them! Box trucks, tractor-trailers, fire engines...the possibilities are endless and AMT would sell Tens of Thousands of them!!! I'm not holding my breath, but I will be keeping my eyes open for further developments!

That's a picture of a First Gear 1/34 diecast on that box. It's not a C series truck. The C series they are talking about will be the same basic truck as the Stake Truck kit but with a van body. It's a reissue. It was issued as a Hertz Rental version, a Napa version and I think one more but I can't think of it right now.

That's a picture of a First Gear 1/34 diecast on that box. It's not a C series truck. The C series they are talking about will be the same basic truck as the Stake Truck kit but with a van body. It's a reissue. It was issued as a Hertz Rental version, a Napa version and I think one more but I can't think of it right now.

Dang!!

Actually it is a C series truck, the first C series was offered by Ford 1953-56. The C series most know was introduced in 1957 and ran until 1990. Unfortunately I expect the box art was a goof. My first hope is Round 2 will respond to this mistake by tooling up the truck on the box to avoid admitting such a terrible faux pax. Failing that I hope they lock the artist in a small room full of televisions playing Barney the dinosaur episodes, as that is the only punishment remotely fitting the crime.

Actually it is a C series truck, the first C series was offered by Ford 1953-56. The C series most know was introduced in 1957 and ran until 1990. Unfortunately I expect the box art was a goof. My first hope is Round 2 will respond to this mistake by tooling up the truck on the box to avoid admitting such a terrible faux pax. Failing that I hope they lock the artist in a small room full of televisions playing Barney the dinosaur episodes, as that is the only punishment remotely fitting the crime.

My bad, I didn't know what model that First Gear truck was but I didn't think it was a C series also? I am pretty sure that the kit will just be a reissue of the newer C series like the Stake Truck. It's been a LONG time since that kit was issued! The truck itself has been reissued several times without the van body. The van body itself has been reissued many times on the Ford L series "Short Hauler" kits.

My bad, I didn't know what model that First Gear truck was but I didn't think it was a C series also? I am pretty sure that the kit will just be a reissue of the newer C series like the Stake Truck. It's been a LONG time since that kit was issued! The truck itself has been reissued several times without the van body. The van body itself has been reissued many times on the Ford L series "Short Hauler" kits.

Yeah, 1953-56 is the only other Ford C series, the earlier COEs did not have a seperate designation from the conventionals they were based on. Since I have several C-600 stake trucks and Louisville van trucks, this re-issue doesn't do much for me. A 1950s COE would have been really cool and I would have bought several. :(

And that seems to be what the Make & Take booth satisfied- the hands on building experience.

I'm not saying cost was the only reason Revell, Inc. didn't attend, and I don't even think it was the main reason. As you hinted at, I think the tipping point for attending vs. not attending may have been a year or two ago, and the largest car model oriented manufacturer chose not to attend (for whatever reasons), but the significance (to me) is their absence, not why they didn't attend.

Exactly!! However, I bet the folks at the Toledo NNL were presently surprised!

Unfortunately I expect the box art was a goof.

I like to be optimistic, so I'm going to guess Round2 didn't swing and miss that badly when they showed this box/kit at iHobby. Round2 has access to tons of vintage box art, and they can always hop on ebay and buy one of AMT's earlier releases to get the earlier box/box art if needed.

A mistake this huge from Round2 would be, well...

inconceivable2.jpg

Supposedly this is what is coming from Round 2 1st half next year, lots of reissues (sourced from another forum)

Three Stooges 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery - Jan 2013

1967 Shelby GT350 - White - February 2013

1967 Shelby GT350 - COLOR - February 2013

1958 Plymouth "Christine" - February 2013

Buick Opel GT "Original Art Series" - White - March 2013

Buick Opel GT "Original Art Series" - COLOR - March 2013

1:32 Big Foot Monster Truck SNAP - March 2013

1956 Ford Victoria - March 2013

1970 Dirty Donny Dodge Coronet Pro Street - April 2013

M&H Racemasters Small Slicks Parts Pack - April 2013

NHRA Vintage Tommy Grove Mustang Funny Car (Legends of 1/4 Mile) - April 2013

Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine SNAP (New Tool) - April 2013