Model Cars Magazine Forum

DOYUSHA 1/12 Lamborghini Countach

Blitz3000

Hey guys.. Here's a few pics of my recently completed Lamborghini Countach LP500s from DOYUSHA. This is the rare Walter Wolf version and I think is hasn't been made for about 20 years. I've uploaded the whole build history in photograph form to my blog if anyone is interested. http://karel.omnieffect.com/?page_id=2

But for now here's are a couple of random photos..

post-4582-1245574497_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574618_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574650_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574699_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574668_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574728_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574744_thumb.jpg

post-4582-1245574757_thumb.jpg

Glad you posted that. I am working on one right this moment that I bought from one of the board members. It's a Fujimi 1/24 5000 Quattrovalvole. It shows in it in white or black on the box with aluminum wheels, but you know I'm going red with gold. It's very detailed and fits pretty good for the most part. Having a little trouble with the timing chain cover on the engine though and the lower pulley hits the differential area. I had to do some filing and shaping. Using Alclad Aluminum and it looks pretty good. I hate it though, it's sticky, like it never dries and some of it was shot over a week ago.

Thanks guys.. Yeah it came together pretty well no real problems or dramas. The suspension was the hardest part on this model for me. The detail is just insane.. But I'm happy with the end results. The suspension and all the doors work perfectly. I tried to build this same model when I was a kid and completely failed. I think the only tips I got for building this one is plenty of patience..

I also bought the 1:16 Lambo Quattrovalvole kit from Fujimi of ebay as well. It's the one that allows you to build the 88 or 86 version. But when I opened the box the roof of the car was squashed down, obvoiusly from years of storage with something heavy sitting on top of the box. Unfortunitely I can't build it because the body is screwed. It's basically a perfect model kit without the body. A shame because now that I've finished the big one I would love to go on and build the 1:16 now..

and to ThatOneEmoKid... nup.. ya can't have it.... :D

http://karel.omnieffect.com/?page_id=2

Hi Karel, and welcome aboard mate. ;)

That's a sweet looking ride you've assembled there man.....very neat, very clean......I like it. :lol:

Look forward to some more of your work, it sure wont be out of place here.

Hey, you going to QMHE in Brisbane in August...? Might spotya there if you do..

cheers

Greg

To Stump: yeah mate thanks for the welcome.. I'll definitely be going to QMHE again and would be happy to catch up with you there.. I've been a couple of times but one day I might actually display some of my models there.. I've certainly built a few..

To KUZTOMMODELS88: yeah I'd be open to the idea of parting with the damaged 1:16 lambo.. it's just the roof that has warped inwards. In fact to the creative builder they could make a convertible out of it or set it up in an accident diorama on it's roof... which would be sacrilege of course but what did you have in mind??

To Stump: yeah mate thanks for the welcome.. I'll definitely be going to QMHE again and would be happy to catch up with you there.. I've been a couple of times but one day I might actually display some of my models there.. I've certainly built a few..

Good stuff Karel.. ;) I'd love to see some of your other work mate, even some Sci-Fi would be in order..... ;)

cheers mate

Greg

Really nice work, on a very nice kit...still the nicest Countach plastic kit B)

Originaly made by Japanese Otaki in the late 70's, (Doyusha will take the mold back in the mid 80's). Testors will also box the LP500S back in the late 80;s.

Remember building the original kit back in 1981 finished mind in the "2nd" version : Blue with gold wheels.

Surely one othe nicest & most detailed kit in Otaki's 1/12 series kit (approx 400 parts), the V12 engine was surely one of the nicest feature of the kit, wheels & Pirelli P7's are also excellent, true that the working suspension is quite a challenge to do...nice touch of the 2 pieces side "vented" rotors...but half calipers!!

Otaki made the LP400 & the very special "Wolf" LP500S edition, especialy tailored for Walter Wolf; only 2 where made the red one in 1975.....destroyed in a accident......Wolf at the wheel? & a second custom factory Blue with gold wheels in 1976.....a third one will be made for Wolf in 1978 on the 2nd generation Countach.

The "Wolf' LP500S was surely the most "kitted" Lambo, especially by Japanese kit makers, at least 25+ kits where made from 1/32 to 1/12 scale.

Really nice work, on a very nice kit...still the nicest Countach plastic kit B)

Originaly made by Japanese Otaki in the late 70's, (Doyusha will take the mold back in the mid 80's). Testors will also box the LP500S back in the late 80;s.

Remember building the original kit back in 1981 finished mind in the "2nd" version : Blue with gold wheels.

Surely one othe nicest & most detailed kit in Otaki's 1/12 series kit (approx 400 parts), the V12 engine was surely one of the nicest feature of the kit, wheels & Pirelli P7's are also excellent, true that the working suspension is quite a challenge to do...nice touch of the 2 pieces side "vented" rotors...but half calipers!!

Otaki made the LP400 & the very special "Wolf" LP500S edition, especialy tailored for Walter Wolf; only 2 where made the red one in 1975.....destroyed in a accident......Wolf at the wheel? & a second custom factory Blue with gold wheels in 1976.....a third one will be made for Wolf in 1978 on the 2nd generation Countach.

The "Wolf' LP500S was surely the most "kitted" Lambo, especially by Japanese kit makers, at least 25+ kits where made from 1/32 to 1/12 scale.

I too have a fujimi kit ..you can just see it in the background.The lambo

Arent all these kits the same or are they different molds?

101_0038.jpg

One question though? At what stage did you paint sparkplug wires red.You didnt like the black?

Edited by guiwee

Doyusha (ex Otaki) 1/12 LP 400 & LP500S are 95% similar: same chassis/engine//interior/glass/main body shell.

-LP400 has the factory standard lambo wheels mounted on Michelin X tires

-LP500S kit has extra trees for: Front lower chin, front & rear wheel arches to accomodate the larger Pirelli P7's mounted on large telephone dial mags,rear spoiler, & rear trunk locker latches. the decal sheet also provide the correct decals for both "Wolf" versions.......you get the 4 LP400 wheels in LP500S kit but not the tires!!!!!! both kits had never been updated.

-Fujimi also made the 1/16 "motorized" the first was the LP400 & a bit later the Wolf LP500S versions circa the same time....remember building those back in 1979 or 1980, again both kits like the larger ones are pretty similar, "Wolf" parts have been added to the LP400 kit.

In fact most japanese kit makers did make theyr own molds of the LP400 & later the....the LP500S "Wolf" back then: Tamiya, Imai, Tokyo Marui, Blue Tank, Kawai, Nitto, Bandai, Nakamura, etc. in various scales, Entex did box a few of these kits back in the late 70's.

Fujimi did update the 1/16 Countach kit back in the mid 80'as a 5000s QV model with 80's up to date redesign with different engine/body/wheels parts: wheel arches, spoilers, a few minor main body alterations, magwheels, & Fuel injection engine....Older modelers will remember that Fujimi was the "Champ" of Countach kits back in the 80's, kits in 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, full detail & curbside kits where available......including the "Tuner" ones: Koening! :P

Holy Cow! That is a super sweet Countach with amazing life-like details! I have the 1/24 scale version of the Koenig-Specials variety and it is just as detailed as the big boy version. I hope mine comes out as good as yours!

Thanks man.. :D and thanks also to everyone else for the good feedback.. and to answer guiwee's question re: the spark plug wires.... I chose red because when I trawled the web for reference material I found a number of countach engines had red leads.. I also wanted to paint them red because I felt the engine needed some contrast between the engine itself and the extra parts surrounding it.

Here is the reference pic i used when detailing the engine.. it's from this wiki i found: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lam..._Engine-bay.JPG

post-4582-1245815888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blitz3000

Doyusha (ex Otaki) 1/12 LP 400 & LP500S are 95% similar: same chassis/engine//interior/glass/main body shell.

-LP400 has the factory standard lambo wheels mounted on Michelin X tires

-LP500S kit has extra trees for: Front lower chin, front & rear wheel arches to accomodate the larger Pirelli P7's mounted on large telephone dial mags,rear spoiler, & rear trunk locker latches. the decal sheet also provide the correct decals for both "Wolf" versions.......you get the 4 LP400 wheels in LP500S kit but not the tires!!!!!! both kits had never been updated.

-Fujimi also made the 1/16 "motorized" the first was the LP400 & a bit later the Wolf LP500S versions circa the same time....remember building those back in 1979 or 1980, again both kits like the larger ones are pretty similar, "Wolf" parts have been added to the LP400 kit.

In fact most japanese kit makers did make theyr own molds of the LP400 & later the....the LP500S "Wolf" back then: Tamiya, Imai, Tokyo Marui, Blue Tank, Kawai, Nitto, Bandai, Nakamura, etc. in various scales, Entex did box a few of these kits back in the late 70's.

Fujimi did update the 1/16 Countach kit back in the mid 80'as a 5000s QV model with 80's up to date redesign with different engine/body/wheels parts: wheel arches, spoilers, a few minor main body alterations, magwheels, & Fuel injection engine....Older modelers will remember that Fujimi was the "Champ" of Countach kits back in the 80's, kits in 1/24, 1/20, 1/16, full detail & curbside kits where available......including the "Tuner" ones: Koening! :D

Wow man you really know your ****.. Thanks for the info.. very informative.. :D It's nice to be amongst people who enjoy the history of the cars and the kits as much as I do.. almost as much as building them..

The 500 has always been my favorite model. I never liked the older Countach cars, thought they were a bit ugly. But the 500 and newer were pretty awesome.

I wonder if anybody has ever made a kit of the Countach as seen in Cannonball Run. The way cool black one with the wing up front and the extra set of driving lights mounted under that frontal wing?

Now that would be a cool kit, especially if it came with two lady-figures!

To KUZTOMMODELS88: yeah I'd be open to the idea of parting with the damaged 1:16 lambo.. it's just the roof that has warped inwards. In fact to the creative builder they could make a convertible out of it or set it up in an accident diorama on it's roof... which would be sacrilege of course but what did you have in mind??

you read my mind! i was thinking of a convertible! or even try to fix the roof!(depends on how bad its damaged!) and pm sent!

{and accident dio? ok sounds cool! how about the scene in mr.nice guy? that had a gold lambo that got ran over by a hovercraft!}

Brandon

The 500 has always been my favorite model. I never liked the older Countach cars, thought they were a bit ugly. But the 500 and newer were pretty awesome.

I wonder if anybody has ever made a kit of the Countach as seen in Cannonball Run. The way cool black one with the wing up front and the extra set of driving lights mounted under that frontal wing?

Now that would be a cool kit, especially if it came with two lady-figures!

Man that's an awesome idea!!! A cannonball lambo with the front wing.. niiice.. :rolleyes: the ladies would certainly be a plus.. :D

I really love almost all lambos but the Countach versions are by far my fav. Probably because of watching Cannon Ball run a million time when i was younger maybe.. probably because my walls were blanked with countach posters also as a kid. For me it's something about the styling of the car and the time it came out. Not too many real production sports cars can hold the claim of being so far ahead of their time. When Datsun was finished making the 240ZG which Stump is building, Lamborghini began making the Countach.. the working prototype was even built before that in 1972.. That's forward thinking. :D

Also I know of the stretched Countach you mentioned.. you can hire it.. only in America huh.. http://www.losangelesexoticlimos.com/lamborghinilimo.php

you read my mind! i was thinking of a convertible! or even try to fix the roof!(depends on how bad its damaged!) and pm sent!

{and accident dio? ok sounds cool! how about the scene in mr.nice guy? that had a gold lambo that got ran over by a hovercraft!}

Brandon

I haven't seen Mr Nice Guy yet but seeing a Lambo being run over by a hovercraft sounds painfull to watch.. :rolleyes:

I've sent you an email with the link to some pics of the damaged kit..

...........MPC did make the CannonBall black countach back in 1981 or 82, MPC did have the rights for the movies; a few other kits where also made.

Remember that the kit was not accurate at all based on a Japanese mold of the "Wolf" LP500S with a grafted front wing!!!!!!, the real one was a secound generation LP400S. kit molded in black, nice box art :one of the lady driver was on top corner of box to boost the sales B)

Brandon

I think that movie was jackie chans"Rumble in the Bronx"????

An accident dio would indeed be sweet if you guys concoct something

keep us posted!!! :rolleyes: