Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tommy Grove F/C

Pro Tech

I have been working on this for a few months now (cleaning mold lines, stripping chrome etc. etc.) and started to do the mock-up (white glue) build. This is the Johan Mustang F/C kit that I will be using to build the Grove (Duddie Ford car) using alot of my (Pro Tech) parts and Chuck Boerner's decals. This is a great kit but there is some problems that needed to be corrected such as - rear end had to be lowered in chassis for correct body/ride height. Also rear needed to be moved forward to center to wheelwells on body. To make it more correct for the Grove car (not the Mickey Thompson car as the kit was designed for) I made new side (tin) panels. The actual car ran a 427 but not wanting to get involved in doing a motor swap I am going to stick with the 429 which Grove ran in his earlier F/C. I will post more pics as I proceed. Thanks for checking it out.

TommyGroveFCmockup3.jpg

TommyGroveFCmockup2.jpg

TommyGroveFCmockup1.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

http://protechmodelparts.com/

Thanks guys!

Ed, when using the white glue for mock-up there is a couple of things you can do when you have a problem with it holding. First you can put some on a piece of paper and let it tack/thicken up and it will help to hold the part until it hardens completely. You also can use a hair dryer to speed up the process. One thing when you do a white glue mock-up is you can only glue a few parts at a time and let them completely dry before moving on.

Joe, those are tires I cast in resin from the Johan funny car kits. I don't really like the ones in the kit with the separate inner sidewall. Also alot of the ones in the kits are warped and hard to bring back true.

Charlie

Pro Tech

Well here it is with the body finally fitted to chassis. As stated in prior post the read end needed to be reset in chassis, more forward/more up to fit wheelwells. I also revised the induction sys. to Hilborn as the car actually ran. A little more work and this will be ready to break-down and start the painting process. Thanks for looking!

TommyGrovemockup4.jpg

TommyGrovemockup5.jpg

TommyGrovemockup6.jpg

Charlie

Pro Tech

• 8 months later...

Thanks guys! Well I finally got some more done on this build. The engine is finished (less wiring/plumbing, belt etc.) and added the following Pro Tech parts for detailing, Supercharger Pulley Set, Oil Breathers, Plug Boots and Nuts & Bolts. I also scratch-built the fuel blocks/fuel pump then gave the entire engine assembly a light wash. I also built-up the mag with a Pro Tech dist. kit cap/wire boots along with the kits mag base. The clutch can was detailed with Pro Tech Nuts & Bolts. Thanks for looking!

Charlie

Pro Tech

TommyGroveengine3_zpsd0e6f3ed.jpg

TommyGroveengine2_zps2aa5781e.jpg

TommyGroveengine1_zps9dd84732.jpg

79dfc628-a66b-4f14-9fe7-2e74292c7975_zps

Edited by Pro Tech