Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some Brick Backdrop Action

RyanSilva

Here is a before and after.

P5153761-vi.jpg

I used craft acrylics, I first started with some airbrushed sienna's and umber colors, I then took dullcoat, put a few layers on, then let it dry.

Then a thin white skim coat of white paint with a sponge, and applied it all over till the mortar was white, I let it dry up a bit then took some water on a paper towel and scrubbed off the remaining white on the high points, it did run through to the bare brick but this aged white from the paint and blended in.

As Part of my previous life (now a retired structural engineer) I inspected thousands of 100 year old New England brick walls. You have GOT IT! This is about the best looking modeled brick I've seen! The colors and random patterns are perfect.

Excellent observation and technique you have there. :P

I've got two questions. One- where can I get a couple of those sheets and Two- how long will it take you to get them painted like that and sent out to me? LOL A really great example of just how much "life" a real modeler can inject into the basic "building blocks (or bricks)" to make them come alive. That is beautiful work.

:):blink: Thanks so much guys

Hey Luke, these are Plastruct 1/24 G scale "rough brick" 2pc per pack -item number 91612 I paid 8 bucks, not bad, considering how easy it is to create a simple life token for pictures! :lol:

Mike, I just realized you are in mass, I am too!

Im over down south, in new bedford. Plenty of brick buildings here to sparked inspiration since Ive been little. Sadly alot are being torn down, but most that are worth keeping have been preserved down here.

Mike, I just realized you are in mass, I am too!

Im over down south, in new bedford. Plenty of brick buildings here to sparked inspiration since Ive been little. Sadly alot are being torn down, but most that are worth keeping have been preserved down here.

My family is from New Bedford, but long ago. way before my time. They went there from Canada for the mills. I grew up outside of Hartford, now outside Pittsfield. There sure is a lot of brick down there!! :lol:

Not trying to jack your thread, just sharing....

I am an action figure customizer, but come here for great knowledge on all things painted and scratch built. Our hobbies share a pretty similar path, and I love cars, so there you go! :lol:

Anyway, I built this "supposed" photo backdrop alley that turned into a full-fledged diorama a couple years back, and here is my brickwork(although not as good as Ryan's.) I don't have an airbrush tank, so this is all brushes and foam brushes.

I painted the base(standard vinyl brick sheets) with a gray first and drybrushed terra cotta, various reds, and oranges. Then weathered with watered down black paint and browns. Not as "3-D" as Ryan's, but it served it's purpose.

DSC00001-3.jpg

DSC00002-3.jpg

DSC00003-3.jpg

DSC00004-2.jpg

DSC00005-3.jpg

DSC00006-5.jpg

DSC00008-4.jpg

DSC00011-2.jpg

DSC00012-3.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Oh, I live in Rhode Island! Another New Englander!

Edited by customcreator