Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speedy Thompsons 1957 Chevy "Southern 500" winner

MarkJ

Revell Black Widow kit. Testors 2 part lacquer. Decals created by me and printed on Testors ink jet clear decal paper. Exhausts and Rollbars made from Evergreen styrene 3/32" tubing. Bungi cords from elastic jewelry cord.

Fixed some more photobucket links.

57speedy8.jpg

57speedy10.jpg

57speedy17.jpg

57speedy18.jpg

57speedy16.jpg

ltftside.jpg

ltsideup.jpg

rearup.jpg

rightrearside.jpg

rtside.jpg

rtftup.jpg

frontup.jpg

engine.jpg

Edited by MarkJ

This is very nice model again! But how did you make those hooks to those things, holding that hood in place? And you can open the hood still! Is that not so tight that you can take that thing off from that hook on the hood and then the hood opens...? Or what. Have that Black Widow and need some information...

Very cool! I love these old racers- yours is very well done.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Did those front steelies come with the kit?

2. Did you cut the slots open on them or detail paint them?

Regards,

David G.

David I used the wheels from the kit but the tires were too small so I used tires from an amt 55 chevy kit.. The wheels are detail painted. They come with slots in them but not cut all the way through. Thanks for your interest in the model.

This is very nice model again! But how did you make those hooks to those things, holding that hood in place? And you can open the hood still! Is that not so tight that you can take that thing off from that hook on the hood and then the hood opens...? Or what. Have that Black Widow and need some information...

Niko, The bungi cords are made from elastic jewelry thead that can be purchased at any craft store such as Hobby Lobby. I removed the outer sheathing from the thread and then colored it with a silver sharpie felt tip pen. It easily stretches over the hook in the hood and the trunk. Thanks for your interest in the build.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice job ,I gotta put the bungie cords on mine then i'll post my Black Widow.I was looking at your gallery pics and I notice you like Chevys with the#4 in the numbers .They all look great.

Rex White is my all time favorite driver and he used the #4 most of the time. The others are just a coincidence.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 4 months later...