Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do you have a Unicorn subject?

It's all three models currently on my bench. I felt cursed the other night and just turned off the lights and walked away! Here at the very final stages of the builds, I'm breaking things! As I am fixing something I broke, something else snaps! Argh! I'm not going up to the model room!

I just finished an "Eleanor" project recently. It's a restoration (use of the word "restoration" is open to debate) of a badly warped 1950 Studebaker promo. Here is the link to the thread that chronicles the process.

http://tscc-online.lefora.com/2011/01/01/restoration-project/

Also, what/where is the "purple pond"?

The "purple pond" generally refers to the use of a cleanser called Purple Power to strip paint from models. Available at grocery stores, hardware stores, etc. Lots of different alternatives. Some excellent tutorials on stripping paint and chrome at the top of Tips, Tricks & Tutorials section here.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

Edited by sjordan2

I was thinking about this thread the other day and thought I'd add my 1:1 car unicorn!

I bought a 1990 Dodge Caravan and I swear that car was haunted. It kept getting hit! We live in the suburbs so it's unusual to get a dent but every time I turned around this thing had a new one.

+ My wife was sitting behind another car at a light. A truck tried to make the turn into the street and the car in front of her backed up to let him, and backed up right into the front of the Caravan. My wife looked, saw no damage and let the person go. What she didn't see was the damage below the bumper. She creamed the front valence and punched a hole in the radiator. I had to replace the radiator.

+ My wife got a flat tire in a store parking lot. A guy agreed to change it for her. He put the car up on the factory supplied jack and removed the tire. Once he went to put on the new tire, he had to raise it a bit. So He stood the tire next to the hub and raised the car. The jack failed and the car fell down to the ground. The tire grabbed the fender lip and bent the entire fender upward. The guy ran away! I got the crying phone call, and had to go there with my floor jack to finish the job. Had to replace the fender with the two tone paint on it.

+ We were at a wedding. Came out of the church to find a tail light smashed. Someone had backed into it. Damage to the bumper also.

+ My wife was in a store, came out and someone had dented in the drivers door.

And I know I'm forgetting something... there was more.

Finally had enough of it and traded it in on the '96 Caravan we still own.

The JoHan '67 Fury kit. I built one back in '73 and I have no idea of what happened to it. I got another one in 1992, decided to "make it better" by using an Ertl B-body "chassis" and it turned into... scrap :(:angry: (stoopidstoopidstoopid...). In all the years of attending shows and contests since then, I have yet to find another unbuilt kit and I won't buy from e-bay. Oh well.

Me, too (and I am also kind of old). I guessed that a Unicorn subject would be something very cool, beautiful and desirable that doesn't exist. But that's not the turn this thread is taking.

Edited by sjordan2

Revell 71 GTX seems to be my unicorn. It was one of the first models I have started building and everything it was nearly complete I messed it up.

When I originally built it, it was about 99% done and while doing the last touch ups I accidentally spilled testors glue on the roof... I have repainted it at least 5 times since and every time I paint it, I either decide that I don't like the color or I mess up the paint... so far it's been painted red, yellow, gloss black, and flat black... it's even been fully rebuilt and for some reason this time around the hood doesn't fit...

After about 3 years on and off working on it, I decided to put it inside the box and get a new model kit of that car, hopefully that one isn't cursed...

Andrey I've had issues with a Pro Modeler kit of a '57 Chevy. I built the kit, painted it Black (probably the BEST Black paint job I've ever done) and BMF'd it (again one of the BEST I've done) but on final assembly I couldn't get the body/frame assembly to come together properly. Each time I tried either the inner fenderwells would break loose, or the front wheel/tie rod assembly would come off. Plus, when I originally started the model I painted the engine compartment pieces (firewall, inner fenderwells) Chevy Engine Orange because I thought I wanted to paint the whole car that color. Then I changed my mind and painted the car Black with a silver and black interior...... now the engine compartment doesn't look right in a black car..!! Plus, the hood and trunk lid are separate pieces and I didn't make working hinges for them, so I'd have to display them off the car to show the work on the engine compartment and trunk. The model has been back in the box for about 4 years now..!!