Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950's Diner Diorama

Sixties Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. This is a fun project! It's about 95% done! Here is an updated photo. I named it the Starlite Diner, and added the sign, awnings (paper), and a picnic table & umbrella around back (left side). It's just about ready for the cars and people! Here's the latest photo of it on my workbench.

4599706549_5e42af7674.jpg

Smell the coffee!

Dioramas are a lot like model train layouts; they're never really "finished". You can always add more details, but at some point you call them done, and leave it at that. So I'm calling this diner diorama "done" today. I set the diorama up in front of the local elementary school for a photo session. I tried to get the effect of the diner being located along the street. I rounded up some of my old models and sat them in the diner parking lot. The '49, '57, and '60 Fords, '58 T-Bird, and the VW bus were all built by me in the 1960's and were kept untouched since then. The '57 Chevy and the pink '56 Crown Vic are recent builds. Some G scale figures were placed here and there, including several sitting at the booths inside the diner. Here are some photos taken from different angles. I still have 56 Ford pickup and 51 chevy convertible kits to build to display on it. This was a fun project for me. It was great to recreate a pleasant little piece of the past. I hope you guys like it!

4609961484_3c20ca1cd5.jpg

4609961682_cdf2c349a6.jpg

4609352685_09b104b610.jpg

Here's the dio on the card table ready for photos.

4609352937_d1d9ff748d.jpg

4609962216_33eb8c527e.jpg

A giant head!! I was goofing around on this one!

4609978388_2d5958015c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sammy, Sam, Sam. That is so very nice. Thanks for stopping by my post and "alerting" me to this forum, and of course your thread. Maybe I shouldn't be using 1:1 sites for my photos. Inspiring my brother, thank you for sharing with us.

By the way, what did you use for the asphalt? It's a current quest for me and yours looks, ur, uh, perfect. Yes, that's it. Perfect.

Edited by Tradeshowjoe

By the way, what did you use for the asphalt? It's a current quest for me and yours looks, ur, uh, perfect. Yes, that's it. Perfect.

Thanks, Joe. It came out better than I thought it would. The dio base is some cheap 1970's vintage paneling I tore off a wall in our house when I redid it two yrs. ago. It's a mahogany luan or something, about 1/8" thick. I flipped it over and nailed it to a 2x2 frame. I sprayed it with flat black, then sprayed on a thick coat of Rustoleum Multi Color Textured paint. The color was called Aged Iron. It's sort of a gray with whitish flakes mixed in, so it doesn't look like new, too perfect pavement. Paint was all from Wal-Mart.

Sam

• 4 weeks later...