Model Cars Magazine Forum

two car garage

GTMust

Yes and yes Robert,

As I understand it, fibre optics need a seperate feed to each light. So nine lights would need nine seperate feeds? I believe this is correct? Or am I wrong?

I've also explored LED's as the actual "light", and probably will go in that direction, but I'm looking for a simple (no-battery) power source. Plus I have to locate the actual LED bulbs and holders for a reasonable price. Checked our local stores - nothing.... and the doll house lighting suppliers are a little expensive!

I found some dollar store key chain LED lights, but they need constant pressure on the switch to keep the light on. Plus the holder is a little bulky. I'll explore that possibility as well when I take one apart. (Right now it's on my key chain and I need it!)

I haven't made this a priority, and I'll get back to it when some of my other projects get finished.

Thanks for the input....

Tony

You can find basic black LED holders for 10-25 cents each online or you can go to radio shack and get them. LED lights are cheap good ones are around .50 cents each online. You can buy a basic wall wart at radio shack (or the Canadian equivalent), or use one you already have. The resistor you will need will depend on your wall wart but those can also be found at radio shack.

The last LED project I used these.

led holder

white led bulb

Wiring LED lights is one of the easiest electrical projects you can do. If you have kids they probably built a battery powered led light in junior high science class. Biggest thing to remember is use the correct sized resistor and NEVER run the LEDs in parallel it doesn't work. Run them in series.

Edited by ra7c7er

Really appreciate the info, Robert.

Stupid as it may sound, I never thought to check out Radio Shack! Next thing on my list when I go to the Mall.

Maybe they have all the stuff I need to power the lights as well.

By the way, my kids are 38, 36 and 25...... But maybe the grandkids can help....!

Thanks.

Tony

Really appreciate the info, Robert.

Stupid as it may sound, I never thought to check out Radio Shack! Next thing on my list when I go to the Mall.

Maybe they have all the stuff I need to power the lights as well.

By the way, my kids are 38, 36 and 25...... But maybe the grandkids can help....!

Thanks.

Tony

You are welcome. Radio shack isn't what it used to be. Even though I am only 27 I can still remember got to radio shack with my grandpa and getting parts to fix just about anything electrical. Now the electrical stuff has been cut down to one little section.

Radio Shack was bouhg tout in Canada (by Circuit City) and is now The Source, so Radio Shack isn't what it used to be!! The Source is still the first place I'd look. Your dollar store key fob might be a cheap alternative for bits and parts. Amazing sometimes what you can find in a dollar store for modeling dioramas!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brian.

I'm afraid it's been on the back burner for a while as I've been working on a bunch of cars and trucks. I need to get some inspiration to get back to finishing it. But it will happen.......

Tony