Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jacked '49 Merc Wagon 7/7/17 switched to Fotki

Foxer

Of course I shouldn't start a new build, but I'm actually near completion (!) on a Sambar and HAVE to get something else going!!!

I'm getting old I think cause I keep looking at jacked-up trucks running around here ... I'm a sports car nut thru and thru. I thought it would be cool to do one that's all beat up and muddy from running around the trails here in the Berkshires. One thing led to another and this is what I ended up with .. something different for the Revell Merc Woody wagon AND .. let the photos show ...

boxes DSC 1459

49 merc wagonDSC 1456

49 merc wagonDSC 1457

49 merc wagon DSC 1455

49 merc jack 3 DSC 1473

Yes .. that's a a 1/25 Wagon sitting on a 1/24 TRUCK chassis! The wheelbase is almost exact and only had to remove some side pods and rear of tailpipe to fit it. The truck frame straddles the Merc gas tanks nicely and only needed a couple little notches for the truck frame to drop right in level!

Now the research begins. The Monogram truck tires don't look bad, but I'm looking into something a bit larger. These scale out to 30" od with the rims scaling to 17" in 1/25 scale. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The engine .. looking at just dropping the Monogram truck engine in with some hop up goodies. Will be easiest since it will fi tto frame but might be tight in the Merc fender insides. I'll see when glue on engine halves dries.

The body I'll do a little customizing on but nothing too radical .... not chopping top. Thinking one tone wood and something cheap for paint .. like flat black primer. Some rust and dirt with worn wood too.

Bumpers probably left off or some homemade wood ones. The ribbed bumpers from the Revell Merc custom may be too much, as nice as they are. Maybe some other custom parts from it I can borrow,

So .. that's it at this stage. I'd love to hear any thoughts you might have on this!

Edited by Foxer

that's kool, really kool, and the stance in the photos looks perfect. I kind of like the tires like they are, much bigger is going to start looking like a cartoon. I would look into finding a ARB style front bumper with a winch, I think I saw something like that in the resin section within the past month or two. neat idea!

jb

Thanks for the responses encouragement.

I just sent for Chief Joseph's 35 inch Krawlers and his new 6 lug rims. These should look right and be about as big as I want .. not cartoonish! I don't think I'll have to open the wheel wells but may add some flares when I see how the tires look.

I winch would be right .. still looking for where I can get one ... or I just make it.

Edited by Foxer

Take a look on the truck/pickup part of the forum for bumper ideas. Or get some Plastruct diamond plate for the top and make your own bumpers. A wench would be good, and maybe some driving lights and tow hooks also.

Edited by espo

I got tires from Chief Joseph .. these are beautiful tires! Some of his rims also and they just slid on the Monogram axles. Now I have to decide .. I think the big ones win but need about a 3" lift to clear wheel openings. Or I just enlarge the wheel openings near the bottoms.

Here's both side views to compare ...

49 merc wagonDSC 1456

49 merc big ;tires DSC 1461

Edited by Foxer

I'm thinking on the same lines, José and Rob I won't be gouging into the wood but the wheel openings do need some widening at the lower corners. An eighth of an inch spacer is a 3" lift so maybe that's the sure way to get clearance .. a .08" spacer would do the job.

I do want to put some flares on the openings ... to cover the tires sticking out and for looks too, but I'm keeping the flare blend to the body outside the woodwork

Edited by Foxer

It already looks lifted, I'd try to reshape the lower wheel wells. It looks as if the larger tires biggest issue is with the front edge of the wheel well opening. Before you start cutting you might want to see if it would be better to change the wheel base.