Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best kit to build 1964 GTO?

The monogram 1/24 kit is nice - although pretty typical for the era, simplified but separate suspension,etc. It is readily available and cheap too.

Revell Monogram's kit is of the 2dr "post" sedan, where the Polar Lights version is the hardtop. As for accuracy, Monogram's kit is a bit off proportionally, and much too squarish, boxy. The Polar Lights kit, while a snapper, has a much more accurate body shape to it, and it's 1/25th scale.

Art

DSC00965.jpgI was building Arnie "The Farmer's" '64 GTO a few years back and used the Monogram kit as I compared it with the Polar Lights kit also and I think that Monogram's was much better. As far as 1/24th & 1/25th, if you put them both side by side you'll see very little difference as far as scale goes.

Paul, here are a couple pics of the Revell/Monogram kit from one of it's more recent reissues.

HPIM2182.jpg

HPIM2181.jpg

HPIM2179.jpg

I've seen the Polar Lights kit in person, and in my opinion the only way it should have been mentioned was if the title of this thread was "Worst kit to build build a 1964 GTO"!!!

EDIT: This is one of the 2 in 1 reissues Dave mentioned, and if you'd like a pic of the box for it and what the other version looks like, let me know. I think I still have the box here somewhere.

Edited by highway

Personally, I preferred the Monogram one over the others............it just seemed more "right" to me.

Here's my stillborn '64 convertible that I never finished..........the acetate windows have now warped among other things. I may take it totally apart sometime and redo it. Don't look for that anytime soon though............... ;)

P2180007-vi.jpg

P2180008-vi.jpg

P2180006-vi.jpg

Edited by MrObsessive

Oh Boy!! This thread turned into a smorgasbord of awesome looking '64 Goats!

My vote goes to the Monogram kit as well. Admittedly, I haven't seen the other two kits in person, but my father and I are Pontiac and Chevy nuts and I think the R/M version looks nice and goes together ESPECIALLY NICE.

Here's a molded in red monogram that I built. (I didn't have any trouble with bleed through BTW)

100_3298-1-1-1.jpg

100_3297-1-1.jpg

(Wish it was at least wearing the GR-RRR license plate in those pics. The motor wasn't even glued in yet! LOL I'll have to take some new shots of her one day...)

Bill, that convertible is just BEAUTIFUL!! B):wub:

Like everyone said, stay away, far away from the Polar Lights/AMT's 64' 'Goat kit (heck, the PL Cornet is far better than that POS!)and get the Revell-Monogram one (due to be rereleased soon under their "Classic Crusers" lineup in white plastic)...Or if you got big bucks to spend, the orginal AMT kit from 1964.

The only thing the Polar Lights kit is good for is the interior/seats/dash, chassis, suspension parts, maybe the wheels & tires, and exhaust... to maybe use on the AMT 64-65 kits. But the PL body and engine (worst phonco motor ever imo!) are only destioned to be ether discarded in the trash bin, or used as test parts mules for paint/primer.

I've also built the Monogram kit and enjoyed it. My only gripe was that the rear quarters were so pinched in the rear that it kept squeezing the chassis further up into the body. I ending up using a piece of carboard folded accordion style into the trunk area to keep things square. I built this when I returned to the hobby in '01.

000_0096.jpg

000_0093.jpg

Like everyone said, stay away, far away from the Polar Lights/AMT's 64' 'Goat kit (heck, the PL Cornet is far better than that POS!)and get the Revell-Monogram one (due to be rereleased soon under their "Classic Crusers" lineup in white plastic)...Or if you got big bucks to spend, the orginal AMT kit from 1964.

The only thing the Polar Lights kit is good for is the interior/seats/dash, chassis, suspension parts, maybe the wheels & tires, and exhaust... to maybe use on the AMT 64-65 kits. But the PL body and engine (worst phonco motor ever imo!) are only destioned to be ether discarded in the trash bin, or used as test parts mules for paint/primer.

Odd that you would say that. The Polar Lights '64 GTO compares FAR more favorably to reference pics than the Revell Monogram kit. OK, so it's a snapper, so what? Scale and shape wise, it's pretty much right on the money. Same with the original AMT '64--but that one is in mega-bucks territory.

Art

Odd that you would say that. The Polar Lights '64 GTO compares FAR more favorably to reference pics than the Revell Monogram kit. OK, so it's a snapper, so what? Scale and shape wise, it's pretty much right on the money. Same with the original AMT '64--but that one is in mega-bucks territory.

Art

No it is not Art. See the banana shape in the body of the PL attempt? How can you not see that? It is not a trait shared by the real car, or the other kits. It is horribly distorted and nowhere “near the money”. Did you have something to do with this kit? Is that why you are trying to defend it so vigorously?