Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 AMC Gremlin

Erik Smith

Here is AMT's 1976 Gremlin. Paint is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green. Almost box stock - I added plug wires. This was a relatively quick build and I really just wanted a stock looking Gremlin on the shelf. There are some "gremlins" to work out in this kit, but I really enjoyed the challenge - something I would have tossed on the floor 20 years ago...

The front clip was about the only kit piece that was modified - it is too wide. Rather than cut it once in the center, I cut it twice, about where the body parts separate on the 1:1 car. A blades width plus some clean up was all that was needed to narrow it properly. Most of assemblies fit rather vaguely - no real locating points for the interior tub or the frame in the body.

But...I think it is what it is and I like it...

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5238.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5241.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5250.jpg

Gorgeous Gremlin , Erik !

I've wanted to try Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green , but I didn't have any idea how it'd look . Now that I know , I'll have to go grab a can of it ! ( I have used the Green Metallic . Matter of fact , that was the very first Tamiya spray I'd ever tried !

Which kit supplied its tyres for this ?

Gorgeous Gremlin , Erik !

I've wanted to try Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green , but I didn't have any idea how it'd look . Now that I know , I'll have to go grab a can of it ! ( I have used the Green Metallic . Matter of fact , that was the very first Tamiya spray I'd ever tried !

Which kit supplied its tyres for this ?

Tires are from the kit

Very nice build on this kit. I built it also. Pretty narrow front buckets aren't they ?

They are narrow - annoyingly so, but I really fought myself to keep the build simple and out of the box.

No worries about the wheels, Ben. To each his own - I actually came across a reference shot of a 1:1 with painted wheels and I liked the look, so...still do!

Thanks for all the comments!