Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

Rob, you are correct that 1991-93 LXs wore body colored belt moldings. 1979-84 the belt molding was black, 85-86 it was Dark Charcoal, 87-90LX it was black, and in 91-93LX it was body color. I specify LX from 1987-93 as the GT was completely different trim-wise. Regardless of trim level in 83-84 and 85-86, the trim was the same color. 1979-82 it did somewhat depend on trim/option level, but most followed the black approach.

That should also help answer your trim question, Casey.

Edited by whale392

Rob, you are correct that 1991-93 LXs wore body colored belt moldings. 1979-84 the belt molding was black, 85-86 it was Dark Charcoal, 87-90LX it was black, and in 91-93LX it was body color. I specify LX from 1987-93 as the GT was completely different trim-wise. Regardless of trim level in 83-84 and 85-86, the trim was the same color. 1979-82 it did somewhat depend on trim/option level, but most followed the black approach.

That should also help answer your trim question, Casey.

So what would be correct for the model?

That shoiuld also help answer your trim question, Casey.

Incorrect.1984 1/2's. The gt 350's ALL had white body moldings. Molded in white. Not just painted.

I guess a 225/60R-15 isn't quite Gatorback territory, and they are a bit taller and narrower than I was expecting for a 5.0L powered car, or a highway pursuit car. This LX is wearing 225/60R-15s and they fill up the wheelwells fairly well, so it looks like I was wrong about the tire diameter:

P1050162.jpg

Not sure what you mean by not quite "gatorback" territory. The stockers that were on these cars where Eagle VR60's (gatorbacks). They would be the correct tire for the LX 10 holes and the GT Turbines. In 91 I beleive they wheels changed to the 16" pony style which came with 235/55/ZR16 Goodyears GSC's. 91-93 have a slightly bigger wheel well house for the larger (wider wheels)

Not sure what you mean by not quite "gatorback" territory. The stockers that were on these cars where Eagle VR60's (gatorbacks). They would be the correct tire for the LX 10 holes and the GT Turbines. In 91 I beleive they wheels changed to the 16" pony style which came with 235/55/ZR16 Goodyears GSC's. 91-93 have a slightly bigger wheel well house for the larger (wider wheels)

The ones on my '93 were 225/55VR16 Gatorbacks - never heard of a GS-C factory-available on a standard FOX 5.0, as they were brand-new for '92. The tires could easily plus-size to 245/50, though, and they'd look pretty bad when you did. I think the gatorbacks even carried over to the SN95 Mustangs.

But yes, the VR60 Eagles you speak of were available from '85, as I recall.

On the topic of tires, these links might be helpful:

http://www.sspmustang.org/parts/wheels.htm

http://blog.latemodelrestoration.com/mustang-tire-restoration-product/

http://www.triplewhitefox.com/mustang/1993-feature-mustang-faq#Wheels1

Chuck you were right about the stock sizing. I might have confused it with the GM F-bodies from that era. The actual tire brand varied I guess based on what they had.

Here's something else I'll be curious about: I think AMT's '94 Mustang GT (possibly thru the '96) came with Gatorbacks that were distinct from the ones that debuted on their '89 promo-based line. AMT was still in the habit of doing every wheel in a scale 15-inch diameter at that point, so I distinctly recall these tires being rather too high-profile for the 17-inch 6-spoke design - bu-ut, maybe not for an earlier car...

The body color side moldings were on the '92-'93 LX's only, '91 still had the black moldings.

Tips for builders for year accuracy:

'87-'88 - Build as is out of box, black moldings, delete mass air meter, use two spoke non-airbag wheel from MPC '87-'88 GT kit

'89 - Same as '87-'88, add mass air meter

'90 - Same as '89, add airbag wheel

'91 - Same as '90, add five spoke wheels from Monogram '92 GT convertible, someone should have them in resin by then, if not already

'92-'93 - Same as '91, body color side moldings.

Note - '87-'92 gray interiors were all Titanium gray, '93 only had Opal gray, a darker and bluer gray color.

-MJS

You absolutely sure about that body molding color year, Mike? Because the factory literature I do have lists 91 as the first year for the LX Coupe getting body colored side molding.

The Pony wheels in the 1/24th scale mustangs scale out to 15" versus the 16" they should be. So, by putting them under a 1/25th scale car, they will more closely represent the 16" wheel they are supposed to be.

On the Mass Air Meter, if you were doing a California car, you would be able to do a 1988 as well with the optional parts Mike listed. (As California got MAF in 1988 while the rest of the nation had to wait until 89)

In the GTs, 1990 didn't have the armrest pad in the center console (I believe the LXs were the same way). The armrest returned in 1991-93.

Pony wheels (the 16" wheel) became standard on all LX 5.0s from 1991-on. The ten-holes became an SSP equipment list item, same as the Lies-Neveille (spelling is more than likely incorrect) 130amp alternator and the Silicone coolant hose kit. Later examples had beefed-up floorpans and revised Lower Control Arms (from the 4cyl fleet/taxi use bin in place of the 5.0L units).

As I have already stated, if you want a good breakdown of SSP by year, check out www.sspmustang.org. Places like Corral.net, foxbodyforum.com, foureyedpride.com, ultimatefoxbody.com, and several others are good places to look for your civilian LX 5.0L Coupe info.

Edited by whale392

And you can 'convert' any non-SSP car into an SSP clone by installing the Ford Motorsports/Ford Racing/FRPP Silicone Cooling Hose kit, Heavy Duty rear Lower Control Arm kit, and a 1994-95 GT/V6 alternator (which will require converting your two-wire charging system to a later one-wire (and you will have to clearance your alternator bracket to clear the deeper case). EVERY Fox I have had has the first basic mods done: 130 amp alternator/1-wire conversion, 93+ mini-starter, Heavy Duty LCAs, and bumped timing/TPS adjustment, and a 5-lug swap (using 94-95 parts up front and the Ranger rear axle swap in the rear. I later swap the rears to disc and use the axle/brake disc/brake bracket combo that suits my wheel choice/axle choice/available wheel house room).

Then the first real mod is to have the car pulled completely straight and go in and add through-the-floor subframe connectors with the seat pan brace, rear torque box braces, and jacking rails/matrix system.

The only inherent problem there is the mixing of scale issues. Has anyone actually put those wheels under an AMT Mustang to see how large they look?

Here they are on an MPC '84.

Stock tires from the GT convert kit:

P2190055_zps75c147d1.jpg

P2190052_zps129022ab.jpg

P2190054_zps18112736.jpg

On a lower profile set of Gatorbacks. I don't remember what kit these came from at the moment, but I have four of them.

P2190056_zps6480718f.jpg

P2190057_zps876e8868.jpg

P2190058_zps3863c529.jpg

Compare to my '92 LX driver with stock size 225/55/16s:

P9110053.jpg

fbc6fabb-ee61-44ea-9af9-c753ac571b0b_zps

Almost exact. Ride height and a slight adjustment to the shape of the wheel well would be all it takes.

You absolutely sure about that body molding color year, Mike? Because the factory literature I do have lists 91 as the first year for the LX Coupe getting body colored side molding.

The Pony wheels in the 1/24th scale mustangs scale out to 15" versus the 16" they should be. So, by putting them under a 1/25th scale car, they will more closely represent the 16" wheel they are supposed to be.

Positive on the moldings, many have been painted body color over the years for an update. I just touched on the major visual changes from year to year, there were many more: Seats and headrests, interior color and upholstery patterns, paint colors, rear seat shoulder belts, door panel pockets, etc. A little research would be required to make a year-accurate model.

-MJS

Positive on the moldings, many have been painted body color over the years for an update. I just touched on the major visual changes from year to year, there were many more: Seats and headrests, interior color and upholstery patterns, paint colors, rear seat shoulder belts, door panel pockets, etc. A little research would be required to make a year-accurate model.

-MJS

Yes, lots of running changes and year-to-year differences..the '90 Mustangs, for instance, added the air bag steering wheel and knee pad, but eliminated the center arm rest.. but it came back in '91 IIRC. Also, the pony emblem on the right side of the dash was added somewhere around '90, my '87 GT didn't have it (though I later added it).

Edited by Rob Hall