Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

Looks like that fresh chassis will be a nice swap over to the 93 cobra.

Not if both are true to their stated scales. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see LX and GT hatchbacks in this same 1/25 scale series, and I would think someone will have a resin LX hatchback conversion ready by the end of 2013 for use with the LX notchback.

The 1993 Cobra is 1/24th, along the same lines as every other Ex-Monogram casting. Casey is correct in that this chassis, if it is scale correct, will not work under those cars. It will, however in theory, work under the old AMT and MPC offerings and maybe even under those horrid Revell 1/25th scale pieces they offered in the early 80s (You know, the 'Am I a Mustang or Capri?' kits).

His lightbars sell for $15, or did a year ago, give or take a few months past the year mark

And worth each and every hand-made, individually customized penny. I said easy, I didn't say CHEAP! ;) I'd have to look but I think only the NC, SC, GA Chimneyville set has more than one Mustang applicable set of markings.

And worth each and every hand-made, individually customized penny. I said easy, I didn't say CHEAP! ;) I'd have to look but I think only the NC, SC, GA Chimneyville set has more than one Mustang applicable set of markings.

I know James, I was posting that for everyone else , I have never bought one of his bars, but I have seen and read that they are worth the money

Out of curiosity, if one wanted to take an existing 1/25 Fox Mustang kit and mate it with the forthcoming Revell kit to make an LX hatchback, which would be the best kit to use? Can you even build an accurate(?) LX hatch without using one of the resin trans kits? I'm pretty sure the LX notch and hatch tail light assemblies are not the same, and I want to say the MPC '86 SVO's tail lights are the closest, but again, not sure how close they are to the LX hatch's.

Out of curiosity, if one wanted to take an existing 1/25 Fox Mustang kit and mate it with the forthcoming Revell kit to make an LX hatchback, which would be the best kit to use? Can you even build an accurate(?) LX hatch without using one of the resin trans kits? I'm pretty sure the LX notch and hatch tail light assemblies are not the same, and I want to say the MPC '86 SVO's tail lights are the closest, but again, not sure how close they are to the LX hatch's.

I'm pretty sure there is no difference in 1:1 as far the taillights between the 3 body styles. At least not any differences that would be noticable in scale. The upcoming Revell kit will be the first kit w/ '87-93 LX taillights. (I had a 1:1 '86 LX notchback for 6 years along w/ my '87 GT hatchback, but I never took them apart and tried swapping parts.. :)

Edited by Rob Hall

LX coupe had vastly different tail lamps . In addition to their horisontal pattern , they had ambre turn signal / hazard lenses (why aren't these required yet ?!? I despise red-coloured turn signals !!).

All '85-86 Mustangs had amber rear turn signals, IIRC. The '87-93 LX in coupe, convertible, and hatchback forms all had the same taillight design, don't recall any having amber elements.

My '87 GT and '86 LX back in the day:

redandgraystangs-vi.jpg

random '87-93 LX taillight pics..

1987_ford_mustang_lx-pic-33171.jpeg

8579100002_large.jpg

1989_ford_mustang_lx_5_0l_convertible-pi

Edited by Rob Hall

83-86 Mustang taillights are the same regardless of trim level. The only ones different were the SVO units and they were still the same lenses but with the addition of 6 horizontal 1/16th inch stripes. They were Red corners with a red lower reflector. Turn signals were next up top and were amber lensed, then white/clear for the back-up light. The 1993 Cobra used 85-86 SVO tail lights.

87-93 had tail lights that had a red corner with the lower red reflector. the upper bar was clear/white with one bulb (turn signal position) being amber and the other (back-up) being clear.

87-93 GTs had the 'Cheese Grater' tail lights, which were ALL red except for the upper inner corner, which was white/clear (back-up light). The lens was cast with the 'grater' detail and it should be painted the same color as the car.

To answer Caseys question; to make a fairly accurate (body) 87-93 LX Hatch, you could start with cutting the Coupe at the body styling line (from the door casing to the tail lights and across the roof from the aft of the door case to the other side) and graft the same section from the AMT 87-89GT Mustang to your roofless Coupe body. Being different manufacturers, they will not match up precisely but will work. You will have to modify an MPC SVO lower spoiler to make it an LX unit. Use the GT quarter windows. You will use the Coupe kit tail lights.

For the interior, the 87-89GT will give up its 'hatch' tub (and steering wheel if you want an 87-89. If you want 90-93, use the Coupes stuff) and rear seats.

Edited by whale392

To answer Caseys question; to make a fairly accurate (body) 87-93 LX Hatch, you could start with cutting the Coupe at the body styling line (from the door casing to the tail lights and across the roof from the aft of the door case to the other side) and graft the same section from the AMT 87-89GT Mustang to your roofless Coupe body. Being different manufacturers, they will not match up precisely but will work. You will have to modify an MPC SVO lower spoiler to make it an LX unit. Use the GT quarter windows. You will use the Coupe kit tail lights.

For the interior, the 87-89GT will give up its 'hatch' tub (and steering wheel if you want an 87-89. If you want 90-93, use the Coupes stuff) and rear seats.

I think I'd start with the MPC/AMT 88 Mustang GT body. There have been a few already converted, and the new coupe should make the conversion easier...

Here is a really NICE version made from an MPC/AMT by Speedfische on the other mag forum... (took me awhile to find this pic but I knew it was out there!)

93Mustang09.jpg

93Mustang10.jpg

93Mustang08.jpg

or you could just make one from the Revell 93 Cobra that was just re-released...

104_2971.jpg

104_2967.jpg

Edited by Abell82

Jason,

Going on the new 90LX Coupe issue, I think the AMT 87-89GT upper hindquarters grafted to the Coupe body would be a good place to start. The models above were converted from the AMT piece and were done nicely. Considering the side trim has to be completely reworked to go from GT to LX, the Coupe would be the best starting point (my own opinion).

The Revell 1993 Cobra (1/24th) would be a good place to start for a 1/24th, but it would need the entire side trim reworked as well. LXs can be made, and there are several ways to do so. I look forward to the new Coupe release for a lot of reasons.

I was on the spotlighthobbies board yesterday and a member there has this kit in his hands already,he posted a pic with the box opened but nothing else,believe his name was dean milano.

Mr. Milano is pretty well connected in the hobby, so to speak, so no surprise he got this advance copy of the kit.

MVC-004F_edited-19.jpg

I got to hold one (an actual production kit, not a test shot) in my grubby little paws, a couple weeks back. Wasn't mine though <_< . It's niiiiiiiiiice, but I don't know the 1:1 well enough to comment on it. "Tamiya-like" is the phrase that comes to mind. You guys will like it, I'm sure, unless the wheel arches or window trim or something is a little off, then it will be the WORST. KIT. EVAH!1!!11!! I might even be persuaded to buy one and do one of the US Air Force's U-2 chase cars.

And some of us are hoping that someone will see fit to carve 83/84 and 85/86 'four-eyes' fascia conversions for those of us that can't stand those crappy looking aero headlights :rolleyes:

They just don't convert to scale very well...

mike

And some of us are hoping that someone will see fit to carve 83/84 and 85/86 'four-eyes' fascia conversions

Which kit (assuming MPC) has the best nose for this conversion? And which years would it cover?

And some of us are hoping that someone will see fit to carve 83/84 and 85/86 'four-eyes' fascia conversions for those of us that can't stand those crappy looking aero headlights :rolleyes:

They just don't convert to scale very well...

Alas, doing an '83/84 or '85/86 from this kit would require a lot of changes...different interior, different side windows, rub strips, front and rear bumpers, hood, side quarter windows, etc. Basically a new body w/ all the trim differences.

Hobby Lobby can be slow at getting new release's , but it would be nice to pick a few using a 40%off coupon

I've been under the impression that HL and some of the other chains only buy overstocks after they get a sweetheart deal. Doubt there will be an overstock on this puppy for a while...

I've been under the impression that HL and some of the other chains only buy overstocks after they get a sweetheart deal. Doubt there will be an overstock on this puppy for a while...

That makes some sense, and can very well explain why it takes them so long for them to get new release's

It technically could show up at anytime, but normal procedure is anytime after the 20th for RPP's. We've done the RPP since it started, I don't remember ever getting anything this early in the month, but since they did get fouled up on last month's new releases making it out on time (due to the havoc that Chinese New Year causes on the Chinese labor supply) it wouldn't shock me if they bumped things up a little to make up for that.