Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Cautionary Reminder about what is - and is not - an NNL

tim boyd

Tim, Tom,

Please help me out here, if you wouldn't mind. I once knew the names of all six of the Nameless ones. Tom Woodruff, Tim Boyd, Andy Martin, Chuck Hellpie; but who were the others?

Tim,

Thanks for your comments on the Lumina. I had great fun with that, but I have to say Mr. Gustavson didn't seem quite as amused when he saw it! -_-

Danno...the other two were...

- Gary Dale, MPC National Customizing contestant (IIRC, he won third nationwide in 1977) and won Best of Show a number of times at MPC Regional events, and brother of David Dale who we all know is a very active builder these days and not so well known, an MPC Contest winner back then as well.

- Bob Bost, MPC Contestant and winner, representing himself as well as Al Cozby, who also won his share of MPC Contests back then.

Best....TB

They are no longer NAMELESS! Seriously though, I had to look up the definition of Luminaries. These are the best definitions I could find that would apply.

lu·mi·nary

noun \ˈlü-mə-ˌner-ē\

: a very famous or successful person

: a person of prominence or brilliant achievement

Thanks for starting this thread, interesting subject.

Seriously though, I had to look up the definition of Luminaries. These are the best definitions I could find that would apply.

lu·mi·nary

noun \ˈlü-mə-ˌner-ē\

: a very famous or successful person

: a person of prominence or brilliant achievement

Oh dear....that is overstating it by about 2000%. We were just model car builders who loved our hobby and were lucky enough to have won multiple awards at the MPC Contest series from 1969-79. Very famous? Not really. Brilliant Achievement? No Way!

Then, I remembered. It was Mark that picked the word "Luminaries" to describe us, not ourselves! (Smile). (For those not close to this subject, there has always been ongoing, good -natured, back and forth two-way ribbing between the NNL organizers and Mark in his role as Chair of the GSL. It's just part of our shared heritage!)

TB

Hi guys,

After reading about and seeing how the NNL concept took off in the U.S and going to a heap of judged shows here in Australia where people left disheartened with the results and the judging systems I started the NSW NNL Titles.

Originally I committed to running the show for 3 years to see if it'd work and if people would enjoy the format, in April this year we will be running our 12th show so it obviously worked.

While our show has categories and trophies and awards for each one we don't have judges picking the winners. Our show is supposed to be a one day event but over the years it's developed into a whole lot more than that. We now get people showing up on the Friday and Saturday and staying over for the event on Sunday and quite a few stay for the Monday and Tuesday. Because of the way our show has grown we usually have a pizza night at my house on the Friday, take early entries on Saturday followed by everyone going out for tea together, than the show on Sunday after which we usually all go out for tea again.

The social atmosphere and laid back attitude has made our show what it is the early arriving entrants help us set up the venue and pack it up, they're all regulars to the event and have become like a second family to us. They've watched our kids grow and we've shared over a decade of memories and friendship with them.

The way our event is "judged" is every entrant gets a voting slip and chooses the model they like the best in each category, the votes are tallied and the one with the most is awarded "most popular" in its category, not the best or first. This takes away all the arguing and hassles associated with a proper judged event, in all the years running it we've never had a compliant and the show keeps getting bigger and better.

Whether our show is a true NNL because we hand out awards, ribbons and free kits I don't know but the friendships, social side and good time had by all tells me it certainly is in the spirit of the original NNL concept. A no politics/ego's show where the main priority is having fun and enjoying our hobby.

Cheers Rob

IMG_0231-vi.jpg

The NNL East name tags came in yesterday and they look pretty good. We're hoping everyone will want to wear 'em. And this should help folks find one another at the show. I hate it when people say "I was looking for Jiminy all day and never got to meet him." That means the show wasn't all it could have been for those two! So we needed to fix that.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 month later...

Tom - Great explanation of the NNL ideal for those who have not yet been able to attend. Name tags? You with your fluorescent shirts and me in my red shirt,we are easy to find but the rest, you're right. I always get an email after the show saying, 'I saw your models but not you.' The sign-in sheet in the host hotel has a similar function as you can see who has signed in and then page them...usually in the restaurant eating and imbibing :)

Another tradition has started on Friday evening in the hotel lobby with a small demo session going on, either showing a modeling technique or discussing a new model kit. One year I did a small Bare-Metal demo for about a dozen people; one year it was a new truck; last year a new trailer; this year, well, we're waiting, but there will be a gathering in the lobby. 2 years ago I drove down on Thursday and had dinner with some east coast Canadians. I think there will be more on Thursday this year and we enjoy spending time visiting. You can't get enough of the camaraderie at an NNL.

See you in 6 weeks :)

IMG_0355-vi.jpg

Thanks Howard.... Since you liked the new name tags... we've added another thing that will connect people together. Here's our new "Parking Space" placard for models on the show tables. This year we've added a few things. Aside from your name, you can add your city and state or province. There's a spot for your club affiliation, and the biggie, a spot for your cell phone so folks can find you during the show! The real ones will be a little larger, this is just a sample printed from a PDF and my printer wasn't honoring the crop marks. They will also be numbered.

Yea, we try to raise the bar a little bit each year!

Edited by Tom Geiger

That's cool about the cell phone thing….at least for you guys. For most of us from north of the border our lovely cellphone service providers charge outrageous roaming fees so much so that we usually are scrambling to shut our phones off before we cross.