Model Cars Magazine Forum

1-8 scale 69 camaro pro mod (mike hill's car)

comp1839

Thanks for explaining this process and sharing your incredible work with us. I'm continually amazed at the willingness of folks on this forum to help us all become better modelers.

Well said Rick.... ;) I have been on a couple of other forums, but now I only use this forum because of what you said, and there are a lot of really cool builders on here....

thanks, guys!

chris, tim's a great guy to work with. get in touch with him and see what he can do for you. if i'm not being too nosey, what parts are you thinking about having made?

Dave I will have to get in touch with Tim. when i get somethig drawn up. Nope you arent being nosey at all one idea I was toying around with was a seat bucket and thinking what else could be useful to others. I also have had his Idea for a vehicle that i have wanted to scratch build for years and i had started to model the body and i could print it out and scratch build it from plastic but was considering seeing what it would cost to have it made.

Its been a while since I've posted here but I'd like to say a couple of things. Let me start by saying that I was a founding partner at TDR but am no longer associated with them. Dave and I have become friends through chatting on this and another forum.

During its early development, TDR struggled to find sources for good 8th scale material, in particular modern engines, speed equipment, chassis and parts. Due to the amt of time it takes to measure a 1:1 part and scale it down to 8th, it just wasn't feasable time and money wise to bring some much desired parts to life. There were some challenging discussions amongst us but in the early life of TDR we couldn't afford to give you modellers what we knew would excite you.

A few years ago I met Dave. We have some common interests outside of modelling and we've become friends over the internet and a few phone calls. Like me, Dave is not into the "politics" of modelling and he prefers to build for himself. He was understandably leary of TDR and probably thought we were another bunch of modellers who had unatainable goals. But, thanks to the incredible talents of people like Tim, Dave slowly came around and ordered a few test pieces from TDR for his own builds. It wasn't long before Dave and Tim started working together and the early results are what you are starting to see on this forum and in the TDR catalog.

When I saw this discussion, I had to speak up. We are very fortunate that Dave shares his work with us and his build spec's with TDR and asks for nothing in return. Add to that Tim's CAD design skills and thousands of hours spent in front of a computer screen combined with the hard work that all the other TDR partners do........what can I say, other than we're pretty lucky to have these guys in our corner.

Dave, Tim and the TDR Partners..........Thanks and happy ho ho.

Dave, nice work on the rear housing... I was on TDR today and noticed a complete Mark Williams 11" rear end housing/4 Link/ rear end quad break system and rotors and even the rear end spacers.... you have been a busy bee this holiday season!

Props for making me spend more money.... j/k at least I know these items will be a thousand times better than the resin parts I have.

Hey Guys:

I just wanted to take this chance to thank Dave for his great help. It really takes a unique mixture of talent to bring thise new parts to the modeling community.

Dave has access to all this wonderful high tech racing equipment, he also has the machining background to identify key features that go into making components, and he has the drafting knolege to communicate this info to us at TDR.

Dan Palatnik........the artist who created the Camero body for Dave....... well I just cannot say enough about him. He is a true professional, works for a reasonable price, he loves the old cars with all the compound curves, and he can create these wonderful bodies out of thin air!! Be sure and take a look at his webpage and you will see what I am talking about.

We here at TDR have the ability to take the information generated by these guys, be it Daves hand drawings or Dan's digital masterpieces, and either digitally model the parts fromt he drawings or "flesh out" Dan's computer models so they can be printed for you guys.

Then this information is uploaded to the Shapeways Store, located in the Netherlands, and made avalable for you guys to purchase and have it delivered to your door!!!!!

It is mind boggling if you really think about it. These simple plastic parts have bounced between 2 states, 3 countries on 3 continents!

Oh, also, I just wanted to let everybody know that after all is said and done, TDR will be offering the Camero body in all scales, from 1/43 all the way to 1/8.

Edited by DaytonaTim

Holly shmolly.......... :blink:

Dave, you're going to belt this one outta the park man. :D That rear end member looks nothing short of spectacular. B)

GREAT news on the body too.....hope it all pans out for you (and us :) ) as I can see maybe another 1/12 coming this direction, along with a 1/16 :D ..

So I have to sound stupid for just a second, and I am sure it wont be the last time :D . I have been reading on Pro Mod forums, and as you state Dave they all run full floater and even the other cars some suggest to run them if possible. Can you go into more detail as to what constitutes the rear end as being a floating rear end?

The other question then would be around the rear end housing. Do they most or all run some sort of 9" or 12 bolt GM rear housing instead of the MW 11" Modular format?

Dave... very nice dragster you got there. btw what is the differece between A/Dragster and a super comp dragster? is it the dial in times or do A/drasters not have a throttle stop like super comps? reason I am asking is because i have always wanted to build a super comp dragster model.

yeah, the wife won't let me build another race car. she wants to go for a ride in the next one. so, it'll have to be a street car..........yeah, right,..... a street car. hehe. she better wear some depends when she goes for a ride in the next one..........she ain't gotta clue! hehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious!