Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Gran Turismo

PatW

To continue with my aircooled engined builds, I've just finished this kit. Similar to the Meyers Manx kits I build this has no roof on the beach buggy theme

The kit is moulded in blue (I have rattle can sprayed the shell with Plasti-Kote Metallic Blue) plus a sprue of clear and another of chrome. The kit comes with two engines, the VW 1800cc and the Chevy Corvair, so being a Beetle fan I have built the VW engine although it is not particularly well made and has little detail............

1_zps65a2c262.jpg

61_zpsee5c5fea.jpg

62_zps97863968.jpg

It was easy kit to build although the body comes in six parts and the only slightly difficult area is having the attached the bottom of the door sills when the top half is on the chassis........

50_zps6b1324d1.jpg

I have added my signature tailpipe by using small plastic pipe with a slash cut piece of alloy tube fitted over it see third photo down.

Edited by PatW

Thanks guys yes it shares most of the kit parts with those you mention Jason, so you get the front and rear nerf bars, extra steering wheel, Corvair motor and roll over bar.

Yes Maxicoop the good old Plasti-Kote rattle cans ride again. The colour and finish came out well with a few coats of Plasti-Kote gloss clear and some AutoGlym Resin Car polish on top!

Bob your right again strange shape quite high up. you would have thought that with that shape it would be more of a sports car and be lowered, but no, the beach/dune buggy theme is still there. But if your mixing a lot of the same parts from the Manx/Gypsy and Imp kits it would be the same height.

It says in the intro on the instructions that this was like the others an actual kit car of a similar era, but on internet searching no vehicle of this name or shape appears at all!

I added my exhaust tip as the pipe shown on the box is not offered in the kit, but thinking back I could have made one from the artwork!

Also I remember an exhaust like that when I was looking for a performance set up on my own road going Beetle in the mid-70's but I chose one with the four tubes into a collector and a quiet pack muffler, like the one below...

VWQuietPackSystem_zps558aaa6c.jpeg

I'm now starting on a Matchbox Porsche 356 racer kit.

Edited by PatW

I've got a salvageable glue bomb of this that I've spent many sessions eyeballing for ideas on what to do with it. Nice to see one box stock. Looks neat.

This should also be in the thread about let downs after opening the box. Very dramatic graphic on the cover, but a stubby head scratcher inside.

The first time I've ever seen one of these outside of the box. Always wondered about it. Never knew what it looked like beyond the rear 3/4 view shown on the front of the box. Mixed feelings about it after seeing yours. You say they indicated it was based on a real car? I'd be very interested in learning more about that. And seeing pictures of the fullsize vehicle.

Scott

Thanks guys, yes a strange shape I must admit. It always bothers me when you only get a rear view of a model on the boxart. I thought well damnit all. I bought it from the USA so it cost a bit, with shipping etc. But it solved my suspicions as such, that I possibly wouldn't have known without buying it,But...............I searched its images on google just a few days ago and there's quite a few on there!

I just love building cars with aircooled motors, I'm now doing a Matchbox Porsche 356 Speedster which should be on here by the middle of next week.

Edited by PatW

Thanks Jason, now I'd like a real one of those!

I think your right with the design of the Gran Turismo, they tried to copy the SR2 but got it pretty well wrong.

I've just Googled Images of the SR2 and it looks good with the lift up doors and with Centreline rims!