Model Cars Magazine Forum

Proxxon vs. Dremel Rotary Tools?

Hi Guys,

Just prior to my move, my corded Dremel of 20+ years bit the dust... I had purchased a small batteryj powered Dremel for slow speed work. The battery never lasted two minutes... I have heard good things about the Proxxon. Any of you that have one care to provide some feedback? I am preparing my Christmas list for the wife and kids... Thought that it might be a good addition. Thanks in advance.

Proxxon rotary tools have better bearings in them, so the runout at the collet is much less than your typical Dremel. Translation: a Proxxon wobbles less than a Dremel and is therefore more accurate. And as Tim said, the brushes are easy to change out in a Dremel and will usually fix performance problems, but if your speed controller is burned out then that's a little more expensive to fix, but the Dremel service center in Palm Springs can get you any part for any Dremel.

I have a rather old Dremel also,,worked fine then quit,no apparent reason,,curious? I took it apart and found a broken wire??,finally got the wire repaired,added a piece to eliminate break,and it works great again,,,,,,,hate to replace anything,,right next to the term LOW BUDGET,,is my photo,,,,,just a thought,,,,,