Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Dr. Cranky

Thanks, Mark . . . rat rods were not my thing at all until I got rat rod FEVER!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Not only with the concept behind this particular build, but with a lot of great stuff I have seen on the show tables and at real car shows, the folks who build rat rods have a wild spirit and imagination, and I tend to like that . . .

They simply make for a lot of fun at the workbench, and little stress . . . I mean, if something goes wrong or doesn't look right, it's not that big a deal . . . plus it also helps clean out the spares box! ;)

Well, I got up to some bad weather in North Florida this morning but am determined to push on with this little rat rod FrankenSHtein!!!

I've been mocking up the cab and the bed to see how they will look on the frame and to tweak them accordingly into the right stance.

This is the kind of build where the "look" and the paint have to be just right. But I'm not going to worry about the paint right now . . .

0342-vi.jpg

The back is really up in the air now . . . and it meets up with the back of the cab nicely . . . pretty tight . . . and everything sits on the frame just right . . .

0332-vi.jpg

Eventually I will decide wether to glue both components together for extra strength and also to affix the final "look".

0322-vi.jpg

I got a bit more work done on the engine . . . right now I got more concerned with the exhaust system just to get that 1-2-1 look from the illustration . . . I think I found a way of doing it by using plastic strip and tubing . . .

0192-vi.jpg

The plastic rods will provide a pin for the aluminum tubing to slide over . . . like this . . .

0202-vi.jpg

Between the work on the engine and trying to seal up the sides by the front panels and fire wall, most of the morning has been shot . . . but I took this picture just to see how far the project's traveled in just a few days . . .

0142-vi.jpg

The above picture reminds me of some of the difficulties in working from an illustration that is not a blueprint . . . and since there are no measurements you have to go with your gut instincts . . . and here I might be full of hot air (when am I not, right? :blink: ) but some of the lines and angles don't match up between the illustration and the replica . . .

What can I say? You make your cuts and you follow your instincts and for someone who tends to eye-ball it this is as close to good as I can get . . .

Note to self: It's too late to stop now!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::blink:

Edited by DamnCranky

This coming out fantastic! I'm struggling to find the discrepancies between the two. Is it how the bed, cab, and frame meet? Actually, I see that the cab dosen't quite have the rake the illustration has. Maybe a little shim under the back? I dunno, it still looks freakin' sweet to me! :blink:

Some other ideas for the weld lines. Spread some Testors liquid glue, the stuff with the purple label, it used to be in a square bottle. Let it sit for a little bit and then smooth the plastic out a bit with a spatula. Go easy as the styrene will be a bit soft. The glue should melt the styrene just enough to knock down the rough edges and make it look a bit more weld like. This is also something we 'armor' modelers do. One more idea. BMF the welds. Scuff the BMF with 600 grit sandpaper or steel wool to give it a brushed look rather than the shiny metal look. Another tip from the military guys. You can do this before or after the paint. If you do it before you paint, use the appropriate thinner to remove the paint from the BMF. Then just use a dirty wash on the BMF to tone it down even more.

Thanks for all the great advice fellas. . . and they've all been taken to heart. I spent the day building a new body, one that fits the drawing a lot better . . . and I have to say I like the results . . . but you be the judge.

Having said that, allow me to present you with a comparo . . . I would agree that working from a drawing is difficult, but Jairus's illustration has a "feel" to it that my first cab lacked . . . but this new one has it.

You be the judge. Let me know . . . I still think the welds are too lumpy . . . but you know that's a small point compared to the rake and stance! I think I got that now . . . :)

Okay, here's the original (for comparison purposes, remember tan = first try and gray = second try . . . capiche?

First Try:

0142-vi.jpg

Second:

0022-vi.jpg

Here's a side by side sequence to show you a few of the subtle changes . . . but I have to say I like it the second time around . . .the first was just a lazy excuse that didn't come close . . . the second one's got that Jairus wicked rake . . . :)

006-vi.jpg

0072-vi.jpg

0092-vi.jpg

Also, I figured I didn't need those strange riser cleats . . . in short, all I had to do was make a few cuts to fit the frame to the chassis rails . . .

0082-vi.jpg

One of the hardest things to do is abandon the first attempt and start over. I think you made the right call on the body and you won't regret it.

Besides you got to practice your welding again :lol:

Your build looks really good so far. I will have to stay close to my computer this weekend.

You be the judge. Let me know . . . I still think the welds are too lumpy . . . but you know that's a small point compared to the rake and stance! I think I got that now . . . :lol:

The look is spot on now.

For the weld how about trying something like this. First get rid of the strip plastic weld they overwhelm the body. What I have used in the past to simulate welds is a #11 blade in a blade holder that screwed into a soldering iron. Once hot you can use the tip of the blade to create (stitch) your own welds without having to add extra material. Practice on a old body and you will see that you can make the weld as small or large or clean or nasty as you want.

Thanks for the tip, Fred . . . I will try it . . .also, thanks everyone for all the comments . . . they keep me going.

Update . . . some of the work has been going slow because I am working out the front and rear suspension so that this stance is just right . . . I am almost there. Today, I also spent part of the day working on the seat upholstery from a great how-to my friend Hollywood Jim lead me to . . . it's a great how-to and it gave me the right results on the first try . . .

Here's the link if you are intersted. Jim 's a great builder and if you peruse his site you'll see some amaing builds . . .

http://rocketfin.com/mcc/48_woody_2.cfm

I will have some pictures later tonight . . . stay tuned in and thanks for all the help.

All right, folks, I made a little bit of progress and had some fun doing upholstery based on that Hollywood Jim Fernandez how-to I posted earlier . . . I also made a couple of props to make the taking of photographs a bit more fun. . . you'll see what I mean shortly.

Okay, my advice, if you are going to upholster your seats is to look for the Mexican blanket pattern on Google Image like I did and you can find some pretty interesting patterns . . . I went with Saltillo Mexican because it was the closest to the colors Jairus used . . . I think it is as good as I was able to find after an hour or so of searching.

Anyway, you copy the pattern, like Jim says, to your word processor or painter and enlarge it to scale, or eyeball it like I did . . .you print it, and then I sprayed some fixative on both sides of the paper just to make sure the ink would not run . . .

Once you have your blanket on paper, follow Jim's suggestions . . . here's a picture of what I ended up using to get the job done.

0012-vi.jpg

A pair of scissors come in handy too . . .it also helps to cut lines on the paper as you glue it around the edges . . . anyway, on my first try this is what I got . . . which is pretty good, I think . . . now all it needs is a little weathering powders to make it look like it's been sat on! B)

0042-vi.jpg

I like the fact that the wrinkles make it look more real . . . I also held the plastic over a candle flame to put indentations on the cushions, subtle ones cause you have to becareful with the plastic and with your fingers . . .

0022-vi.jpg

The graphics you see are shrunken stuff I plan to use as props . . . for the bedload . . . some records, posters, books . . .

Fred, the closer I get with the camera and see how absolutely right you are about the welds . . . I am going to have to bringing them closer to the body. I will shave the plastic I put on there and use the hot #11 blade suggestion . . . and let me see if I can make it less bulky, though I have to say I think it's cute in a cartoonish sort of way, but Jairus's art is not cartoon, so . . .

Here's the seat in place, and you can get eyefull of those welds!!! B);)

0082-vi.jpg

I also had a bit of fun today on ACME Plate Maker and I fiddled around with a few possibilities for the plate, but finally came down to these two.

My particular favorite is the blue antique plate . . .

0052-vi.jpg

At the last minute I thought of STITCHES, but I like thinking that if you were driving behind this vehicle and the plate read: ITSALIVE, then you come around and see the vehicle you would not be able to stop smiling, or maybe I'm just crazy and have too much time on my hands! B)

I also had to shorten the dashboard to fit the new cab specs . . . so since I was at it I thought I drill out the speedometer and other instruments to create a bit of depth . . . and I also opened the glove compartment . . . I can see a few bolts and nuts and some rolls of tape sticking out of this one . . . B)

0062-vi.jpg

0072-vi.jpg

Slowly, I've been working on the front and rear suspension, and today I got the frame ready . . .

0102-vi.jpg

Most of the time I get headaches from having to deal with suspension systems, my least favorite of any build, but I have to say the elements for this one came together nicely and it all worked towards making sure the stance and rake are preserved . . . of course only time will tell when I get to mock it up . . .

113-vi.jpg

Whe I did, I got a big smile from the results . . . this puppy is going to be pretty low to the ground . . .

0122-vi.jpg

Let's see what that frame looks like with a bit more on it! B)

153-vi.jpg

I really like this next one because I can see it is beginning to look like the illustration . . . if I stopped working on this baby right now I would feel pretty happy with everything I've learned about chopping a body in the last few days . . .

0162-vi.jpg

I think along the way I will have to make a few slight variations from the illustration, like the mexican blanked and probably also that tiki shifter just because the few times I've tried carving one out of round toothpicks it's come out wrong . . . something to definitely worry about later . . .