Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghia/Porsche

ScrappyJ

nice progress Dirk! beautiful craftsmanship my friend, what are the front spindles made of if I may ask??

Hi, Bill- the spindle was machined from 6065 and I used a 00-90 tap on the top and bottom to attach to the upper and lower control arms (I've found that if you use Sherline's sensitive drill attachment to drill and then you put the tap directly into the chuck after you've drilled, the tap is directly lined-up and you can now hand turn the headstock- I also have the attachment for hand turning that looks similar to what they have on the sewing machines). The actual spindle/axle is brass that is pressed into the main spindle body. hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks guys!

Although it was a 3-day weekend, I didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked to. Part of the reason, is that there was a 1:1 car show at one of the Disney resorts on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, which also had a model contest (I didn't compete, but did show some models on the first day, Saturday). I had an event to go to on Sunday and was unable to make it back, so for that and a couple other reasons, I just displayed some stuff on Saturday.

Since Saturday and Sunday were out and Monday morning was breakfast with the family, this left half of the day to get anything done. I did manage to work on the roll bar, which would be bolted to the bottom chassis. The idea was to tap using scale hardware's 1.0, but it didn't work out exactly like I wanted. The four mounting points are soldered to tubing that I cut in half and then made holes for the bolts to go through. The holes were then marked and then I held the chassis on the bed of the milling table, drilled the holes and then attempted to tap (that's where it got tricky because I didn't want the holes to come out of the bottom, so I had to grind the tip of the tap so I could get enough of the tap down into the hole). It didn't work out as well as I hoped because the threads in all holes aren't that great:

photo55-vi.jpg

photo54-vi.jpg

The bottom view. I was also able to get some cross member/structure done. The ones towards the rear where they both angle towards the square center tubing was a challenge. Part of the reason is that I use this mud I had bought from Small Parts, Inc. prior to them being bought by Amazon. It is supposedly heat resistant (which I do think it is) but I think it mostly holds the part in place than prevents heat from getting to it. The problem is that once I covered the other area with it, the solder wouldn't flow at my joints. So I then had to solder the joints at the other end first and then come back to the joints towards the back. It worked out in the end so no complaints.

photo56-vi.jpg

Pics of the attachment points for the roll bar (bad ones at that). I need to break-out my macro lens, but am too lazy and besides, I have no space to set-up a studio.

photo57-vi.jpg

photo58-vi.jpg

Edited by ScrappyJ

Not bad....not bad but, if you really want to impress me....make it all wheel drive :blink:. Just kidding my brother. I'm leaning towards this being my favorite of all your incredible builds.... I know I know, I say this after each new build of yours lol. Seriously the subject matter and what we see so far....BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH!!!! Just love the cooling vents in front of the rear wheel well openings. I will call you later today to let you know whats been going on.

Not bad....not bad but, if you really want to impress me....make it all wheel drive :blink:. Just kidding my brother. I'm leaning towards this being my favorite of all your incredible builds.... I know I know, I say this after each new build of yours lol. Seriously the subject matter and what we see so far....######!!!! Just love the cooling vents in front of the rear wheel well openings. I will call you later today to let you know whats been going on.

Thanks, Bro!!! You missed a show this weekend at the Coronado. It was pretty cool, but not on the level of GoodGuys. I'll be around, so hit me whenever.

Nice work so far. Kool concept. Wish I could have made it to Orlando.

Keep 'em coming! I'll be watching.

Thanks, Tim!!! It would have been cool to hang out, but maybe next time. The MAGS Guys will be having their show as part of the Street Nats in Tampa soon (some time in October). From time-to-time, Bob Jernigan would show up.

Thanks for all the encouragement fellas!

A couple better (still not great, but better) pics of the lower front engine mount. I was also able to work on the rear transaxle mount:

photo71-vi.jpg

photo70-vi.jpg

It's difficult to see in this pic, but the transaxle mount was notched at the bottom in order to accomodate for the headers leading to the exhaust tips (I just remembered that I'd didn't check the clearance last night, oh well...I hope it works :)).

photo72-vi.jpg

photo65-vi.jpg

A few pics with the engine and transaxle sitting where I hope they will sit:

photo76-vi.jpg

photo77-vi.jpg

photo78-vi.jpg

Note the hole similar to the two on the lower engine mount. The idea is to drill and tap and bolt them in. As you can see, the motor and transaxle are cast in resin. I'm hoping to not have to bastardize the kit by bashing all the parts. If all works out, I should still be left with the entire kit (although some of the parts will be off of the trees).

Edited by ScrappyJ

whow !!!!!! IN LOVE !! stunning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!about the seatsmaybe you can try to modifye some seats and make them into the older porsche seats ?? that would look awsomethis model i mean (picture) and yes the picture is of 1/24 porsche seats :)Porsche_911_17.jpg

Those are nice. Where can I get a set of those, Richard? Meaning, it looks like you made those, so are there resin copies?

Edited by ScrappyJ

Well...I got a chance to mount the shocks/struts. As with most things that are scratch built, planning is key. The chassis on this one has been a little challenging and mostly due to not the greatest planning. The rear shocks/struts went on without any issues. The front ones gave me some problems and I had to go back and touch-up machine them. The springs came out of an assorted spring package I bought from Micro Mark many years ago. I had two packages, but for some reason I can only find the one that I already had opened (still a fair amount of springs, but have to be careful not to damage them like I used to).

On to the pics. Front shocks mounted. They are a little difficult to see:

52400523512733-vi.jpg

54400523514700-vi.jpg

50400523510436-vi.jpg

42400523502845-vi.jpg

photo94-vi.jpg

The rear ones:

56400523516882-vi.jpg

59400523519277-vi.jpg