Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden Bird

Lovefordgalaxie

After building a showroon stock 1962 Thunderbird, I got some leftover parts, like a set of custom wheels, and tires. Those parts were going to the parts box, at least untill last Sunday, when I took my 1:1 Galaxie to a show, and ended buying a couple of kits at the swap meet. One of the kits was a incomplete '62 Bird.

The engine was missing the heads the belts, the intake, the air conditioning compressor, and the exhaust manifolds. The wire wheels were missing, as was the chrome bar up front that protects the grille.

The engine parts were sourced by parts from a built Starliner I got at another swap. Not perfect, but pretty decent

The chrome on the Thunderbird kit all had a golden tint, that while a defect on a stock build, gave me an idea.
I have a can of Libra Gold paint from when I did a repaint on my Galaxie, and decided to spray the Bird in that color.
Used the custom wheels left over from my green T-Bird, and just using three basic colors (black, silver, gold) I built the car in two days.
Not much detail in just two days tough.

Instead of foil, I used chrome silver paint on the interior, and didn't have the time to paint the top yet.
The final touch was a custom plate: FE V8 390, and it was done... Right?

Not so fast!!

Here cames a twist:

Even tough I had liked the desigh of the custom "Sombrero" wheels that came with the new edition T-Bird kit, they are the steam locomotive kind: Too big. I really hate wheels any bigger than 15" on a classic car, and like I was afraid, the Thunderbird looked like a locomotive with the big wheels.

I had to make the Bird to look like the handsome car she is, so I got a set of chrome steel wheels from a AMT custom Catalina kit, and four whide white Firestones to match. Once I had them installed, the car got the "real automobile" feeling again, and also a "early '60s custom" feeling too. Like I don't like to do radical mods, I just lowered it a little more, installed some custom spears on the front bumper, and custom exhaust tips. Did a light dry brushing on the chassis, and called her done.

Yes, I think I'm a radical, I don't like modern wheels, or modern anything to be honest, and maybe I was born about 40 years too late.

8434972899_5ee642dc19_z.jpg
Improved Thunderbird by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

8436058252_b103b6b994_z.jpg

8434973947_e5ccf6c348_z.jpg

8436059228_fa6550cd69_z.jpg

8434974937_10afbaef6d_z.jpg

8434975431_c1e6db9f0b_z.jpg

8434976157_34163451f1_z.jpg

8436061820_8492f312b1_z.jpg

Thanks guys!!

I built this one mostlly to save a kit that someone had used for parts, and of course for my inconditional love of Fords.

Jim, that things are chrome spears I used to cover the holes where a chrome bar was supposed to be glued on the front fender. That bar was missing from the kit, so I decided to use the mounting holes to add a custom feature.

she is a beautiful car.. I share your dislike of new wheels. I have always hated the Dub city look.even worse than that DONKs!

Yep, tell me about it. If things keep the way the are, very soon we will see the extintion of the tire as a pneumatic. For me a real tire has to have at the very least a 70% profile, being 80% ideal. Also dislike radials. They look ugly, and are not correct for older cars. The bias ply tires are way more confortable and beautiful to look at, and the suspension components will last longer. On a car designed to use bias ply tires, installing radials will ruin the ride quality, and cut the life on wheel bearings, ball joints, shock absorbers, tie rod ends,etc.

My Galaxie driver has all original parts, including the points ignition, Autolite 4100 carburetor, and the original 292 Y-Block V8. Never let me down. Drives everywhere. I guess the guys back in the '60s really knew what they were doing.

Even tough I had liked the desigh of the custom "Sombrero" wheels that came with the new edition T-Bird kit, they are the steam locomotive kind: Too big. I really hate wheels any bigger than 15" on a classic car, and like I was afraid, the Thunderbird looked like a locomotive with the big wheels.

Yes, I think I'm a radical, I don't like modern wheels

Amen! Nice to hear that I'm not the only one "Who eats worms rather than installs big wheels with low profile tires on a car". :lol:

Very nice T-Bird. I can't believe you managed to build this nice model in Two Days! Turned out fantastic. B)