Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duel Plymouth Valiant WIP Almost finished 14/02

IMPALA SS 427

Thanks Charlie.

Here is a link to the other one i was talking about.

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-25-plymouth-valiant-spielberg-s-duel-168486/

Looks like that guy's Val is coming along quite nicely as well :) .

I do , however , agree with the other members' assertions regarding the roof ; it looks chopped ! I know wherein the problem is : the builder added styrene strips along the upper door line , which was unnecessary .

On the other hand , the builder's workmanship is super clean and well-executed . I certainly wish him success as well :) , and would like to see both your build and the other forum's member's version , too .

Keep up the superb work , Impala !

Thanks everyone.

David - The wheels i havn't got yet, i cant find anything close so it looks like they will have to be scratch built.

anyone know of something similar to this:

duelwheel_zps740a48cf.jpg

It is basically done now, but its on its roof with glue drying so i couldn't take pictures. i should have pics soon.

here's the interior for now...

DSCF2820_zps3677a335.jpg

that white stuff is PVA glue for the dash, i took the dash out for the pic as it was in the way.....

DSCF2821_zpsa3db87bc.jpg

I modified the wheel so it was like the valiant an added Davids suitcase on the back seat. the interior isn't exact but its close.

Duelinterior_zps56e18aa3.jpg

more soon.

I have almost finished just need to make some wheels for it and add the licence plates....

I didn't put a driver in it as i have decided to not make a diorama for it yet.. if i need to i can easily pop it appart and add the driver for the diorama later.

the reason for it is i have got a few builds lined up (probably 4 or 5 months worth) and after those are done the truck will take quite a while to complete so there is not much point making a big diorama unless I've got the truck.

Enjoy:

DSCF2834_zps53a5cd75.jpg

DSCF2825_zps0cb02fda.jpg

DSCF2826_zpsfa9f0dc5.jpg

• 8 months later...

Very nice work. I've been following this one from the beginning. One thing, a 1970 Valiant wasn't available with buckets and console. The seat that was in that car was a bench with the split back and a fold down arm rest. The seat backs you have are correct, but it would have a bench lower. In one of the photos at the movie car database site, you can see the column shifter, see below picture:

1971valiant00026.jpg

photo below is of the car after it was burned up. Note the remains of the bottom of the bench seat and the arm rest:

1971valiant00328.jpg

As far as engine.. someone in the thread mentioned slant six, but the car was a 318 V8. The 340 in the Duster kit would work since it's the same engine externally. There were several cars used in filming and at least one was a six cylinder car, but the majority the pictures I've found have the V8 emblem on the front fender edge like this:

1971valiant00061.jpg

Idid not know a console was available in a sedan. As for the hubcaps. Its a simple shape. Assentially a cone shape with the tip bevelled off and nine holes around the perimeter. I would take a piece a piece if styrene..say a 1/8 inch thick, cut it round to the size you need and bevel the edges to make that cone shape. Then drill the little holes around.

A studabaker avante kit has a cone shaped hubcap, while it is not exact, you could drill or paint the holes and no one would really notice, I am sure someone on this site will see this and donate you a set.

KGrHqFlEFHVzis6BR5FnBnKw60_35_zps5ed3ff5

KGrHqFoEFIs1zt3VNBSNKDONJu60_35_zps31784

Edited by shafer