Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pocher Rolls Sedanca

Cato

looking forward to additional progress, really enjoying it so far

Thanks Mark-life getting in the way a bit but I put in many hours as I can spare. Have improved the fit of the magneto and generator and am preparing to paint the pan, block and transmission so I can assemble the small bits. Waiting for some non-humid days to shoot.

Engine and gearbox detail-

Underlying finishes applied so assembly can begin. Materials used; Alclad II white ally, and magnesium, (airbrushed at 12 psi) 5 different craft acrylics (thinned with Windex and bolstered by Future), Tammy smoke, 2 different Rub & Buffs, graphite, sand and khaki enamels, airbrushed.

Parts are loose in place; the front cover is askew and the cylinder head is backward, with the intake on the wrong side in a couple of shots-sorry. Not to everyone's taste. The stark flash and dim natural light make it difficult to capture but it's more subtle in person:

176Medium_zpsad9bfae6.jpg

177Medium_zpsb8a3de5d.jpg

178Medium_zps00ca24ef.jpg

179Medium_zps4d052aba.jpg

But you are "mixing metaphors" with the very realistically weathered engine and the suspiciously brand-spanking-new looking springs. ;)

'Zackly! I obviously have a split personality-I love art and realism. :blink:

Which will prolly make for a crappy model... :rolleyes:

But the weathering is straight off the reference photos.

Edit: But in my pitiful defense, I think I do have continuity in the weathering; engine, drivetrain and exhaust. Parallel continuity on the art side with bronze parts, ss springs and rods, clevises and levers...

Edited by Cato

Thanks for the support guys... :wub:

18 pages, near 200 photos and I've got the ignition, the whole other side of the engine, and the whole rest of the CAR to go... :wacko:

Edited by Cato

In spite of the praise, I wasn't happy with the terminals and wire I did. Looked clunky and big after a day of looking at it. So I made newer, smaller diameter wires with solder terminals. The pigtail will hide in the frame rail. Eight more hours work. Also added a casting boss that the magneto now bolts to instead of floating.

Before:

194Medium_zps044c10e9.jpg

After:

196Medium_zps5428c3f9.jpg

198Medium_zpse83ba050.jpg

197Medium_zpse707a957.jpg

:lol:

Yes everything gets a little 'distressed' Eric. The starter however has some slight Rub 'n Buff scuffs which look like highlights. But it's very obscure in the chassis behind the 90 degree exhaust collector.

I'm blown away by the weathering on the block and head, especially with that cork gasket. Just amazing...

Thank you Jay. That's actually a copper head gasket. It's located between the cylinder head and the cylinder blocks. It seals the combustion chambers and the water jackets. There's a slight gap in the pictures because the head is just placed on-not glued yet. The cork gasket will go between the valve cover and the one-piece head when it's near finished.

Edited by Cato