Model Cars Magazine Forum

paint on 2010 Shelby GT 500

cobramike

It actualy does not look bad. I would only take it a litle slower with the build up of the paint as i can see some runs.

Yea, those darn runs...The paint that is under the pearl came out what I would call all but perfect, then I decided to add pearl powder to some clear. The way it was reflecting light and color got me way too excited leading to shooting the pearl way to fast, meaning to much volume. By the time I had cleaned the airbrush and cleaned up my other messes, I finally got a good look at the paint and was not happy at all with it. I wet sanded and removed some of the problem areas, but I was getting into the pearl and in some areas I was fearful that I was going to have to strip it all off and start over...maybe I should have. Not real excited about the color, the base color was an attempt at making my own Ford color used on the 2012 Mustang GT called "Lava Red", which came out a nice dark reddish brown color, not what I was after. I decided to make it pop with some Pearl powder and that's where it is currently. Should I start over?

I like the effect. You are closer to mystichrome than lava red though lol

LOL, I was wondering if anyone would catch that it is more of a Mystichrome.

When I mixed the paint, I used Stoplight red mixed with the black, when I was mixing it I was using a paint brush to so sampling and the color in small 2x2 squares over white paper was totally spot on for Lava Red! My wife agreed, my nephew came by and he agreed, as did I. That was dried tests. While I was airbrushing the paint on the car it looked like I had nailed the color spot on. Then it dried...Shaded into a very dark Brown, was nice but not what I was after. That's when I decided to shoot some Pearl on it. I couldn't believe how suddenly the color changed and the paint now popped. I was ecstatic to see how it changed everything! I have been wishing that the kit manufacturer's would come out with a '12 Mustang GT as I still want to do a Lava Red.