Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Ferrari to Remember

The original Countach prototype (LP500) was shown at the Geneva Auto show in 1971.

Also note that Spark and Technomodel made higher-quality replicas of the Carabo in 1/43 scale. I have the Spark model at home. I saw the original at the L.A. Auto expo in 1969.

Edited by sfhess

The Bertone designs were most definitely unique. Some good and some not so much! This is probably the most "not so much" of the bunch. 5th gear did a show from Bertone last week and I had forgotten some of their better designs. The Lancia Stratos, Lamborghini Countach and Miura and the Alfa Giulia GTC just to name a few. They moved into a angular mode in the 60's and that is when the X-19, Gen 1 MR2 and this beast were designed. The Stratos and Countach were of the same linage but they worked. The X-19 and MR2 weren't offensive but this beast was just horrible. Full width of the spectrum. I suppose when you are doing cutting edge design work you will get both because they were working without bounds. At the time some would have called this leading the pack. Unfortunately it was a dead end street and that is easy to see with 20/20 hindsight. At the time it was not so easy to look forward. Of course we could use a little of that spirit, if not direct design in todays world of shapeless lumps. Heck, 90% of the cars you see on the streets today look like the evolution of a bar of very used soap!

Wow, the molds for this kit really got around. :huh:

$_57.JPG

Well, Casey, I can at least say this one is Italian red. :D On a serious note, this car is honestly butt-ugly in white. Other colors seem to make it a bit more appealling.

Edited by Skydime

I keep looking at this thing and I think I have come to the conclusion that it would not be all that difficult to make this car palatable. To me, the thing that stands out the most is that odd angle on the rear wheel arch. If you fix that, it is not so bad. Perhaps clean up the rear roofline and you might have a presentable car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

You know, in blue it's almost okay. The black/chrome wheels help a lot. The originals are so "cyber-future" it's sad and embarrassing!

It's just that the front end, and the back end, are so at odds with each other. With that odd passenger cabin caught, literally and figuratively, in the middle, it makes for an awkward package. Still, as a future hover car, or maybe a weird post-apocalyptic thing it might have merit. 

I'm thinking that by adding a pair of "flying buttress" sail panels from the rear roof pillar, down to the rear corner like most non spaceship exotics, would help. Would look more like a Ferrari, and less like a Fiat X19.

This is funny, I had thought about getting one of these, glad to see the Airfix is the better kit.  But I couldn't bring myself to get one.  To show how old I am, remember seeing it in Road & Track, thought it was cool but odd.  Same with the Maserati Boomerang.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Ikko Kits? Ick-O Kits? 

"It's like RAY-EE-AIN...on your wedding day..."  :lol::lol::lol:

Isn't it ironic, don't you think...:P

The blue version is almost acceptable, but it is still an unappealing car to my eyes. At least the Airfix kit looks like the prototype, unlike the MPC version (almost makes the ESCI/AMT Ferrari 250 SWB look like a reasonable copy of the real thing...)