Model Cars Magazine Forum

KENWORTH W900 dark custom -- 1st Big Rig build

Here is my finished big rig...It is the Revell Kenworth W900 Snap kit with some custom touches. I made the front just a little lower, by notching the spring mount. Everything else is stock underneath. I made the exhaust stacks from a plastic coat hanger. They had the perfect bend already, and are twice the size of what the kit came with. I was going for the stealth look, and had planned on doing black with dark grey accents...but ended up going with flat black accents. All the original chrome pieces were painted with auto trim black paint. They have a black chrome look, but hard to see it in pics. I decide to change things up with the engine...now I know its not CAT yellow lol, but this is a custom built truck from the factory, and the driver wanted an red/orange engine. The interior is a dark grey with red accents. Installed a white steering wheel and shift knob for some contrast. I decide to leave the mirrors, headlights, cab lights and horns chrome, to give a little depth to the truck, just so its not all black. Everything is snapped together, other than the glass. I planned on putting the diesel fuel only and numbers decals on, but like the look without them. I might add the later on, or make some custom ones. Thanks for checking out my first big rig build. The only thign I have a problem with is the hood doesnt fit tight against the base of the windshield...but it will probably be displayed with hood open anyways :)

You can check out the build up here http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67082

DSCN4410.jpg

DSCN4412.jpg

DSCN4413.jpg

DSCN4414.jpg

DSCN4415.jpg

DSCN4417.jpg

DSCN4425.jpg

DSCN4423.jpg

DSCN4422.jpg

DSCN4426.jpg

Yeah I thought about laying some flat clear over this one...but the flat clear I had wasn't any good....and didn't feel like buying anymore lol. Before clearing the body, it had a satin finish, and looked amazing....I may find me another kit and do it in satin...but I am just glad to get this build done...been planning it for about 6 months. Now I plan on cloning my 1:1 vehicle...thanks again for the compliments guys

it looks good, but did you mean to install the cab lights backward??? I didn't read the whole build so I'm not for certain.

Chad

I installed the center 3 and realized they were backwards, but liked the look of the point, so just went with it....I have thought about reversing them and see how it looks, but will leave it as is for now.

I installed the center 3 and realized they were backwards, but liked the look of the point, so just went with it....I have thought about reversing them and see how it looks, but will leave it as is for now.

Actually its kinda cool looking backwards,it goes with the "Dark" theme....give it that "Evil" look....

• 2 months later...