Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 5 Window-Red White & Black theme

carchub

I'll post pictures of the body soon when I get the color scheme finished, but for now I need help with wiring the engine (It'll be my first time, but I've a good plan already).

HNI_0047.jpg

So far, my plan was to use picture hanging wire (was my only quick + cheap option), "drill" the spark plug holes on the valve covers, and glue the wires through the holes.

HNI_0048.jpg

HNI_0049.jpg

BUT: Now I can't figure out how to glue them on the Distributor Cap!

HNI_0050.jpg

Edited by carchub

It's is a tough one. That is why a lot of us buy the distributers already wired.

One thing you could try is to drill the center of the distributer out and put the wires into the middle with CA.

I have always wanted to try making boots from slightly thicker wire and gluing the boots to the posts on the distributer.

Good luck, let us know how it works out.

I have drilled eight individual holes and I have drilled one large hole to glue all of the wires in and there isn't much difference. I always make boots of slightly larger black wire to run the wires into first. It adds a bit more realism and helps to hide the drilled hole or holes.

Later-

I'm not a cheapskate but I just can't see spending $5-10 on a pre-wired distributor when you can do it yourself. It's a little bit of a pain, but worth it. I take a flat file and file the tops of the wire posts on the distributor flat. Don't take off too much, just enough to get it flat on top. Then I take a pin and make an indentation directly in the center of all eight posts and the post for the coil wire. This is so the drill bit won't walk. I then very gently use a drill bit in a pin vise to drill out each individual one. Try to drill perfectly straight. I have good results doing it this way. Looks much more convincing than drilling the whole center out and sticking all the wires in together. You can actually do the proper firing order this way and it doesn't look like a cup that sprouted wires.

Ken

Somebody posted here to take Evergreen round round rod and glue 8 pieces of Evergreen half round to it. After drying drill out 9 holes (one for the coil in the center). It looks good.

There's also the Fatkidd way for distributors. Using telephone wire insulation. Glue 8 pieces of insulation (with the wire still inside) to Evergreen rod. Slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over the insulation. Pull out the wire and insert ignition wire. I'm going to do a photo tutorial on this method one of these days.

Thanks for the ideas and tips, guys! I tried drilling out the center...not too happy with it, so I might go with filing it as Ken suggested. I may not be able to go as far, I have a limitation with drill bits and what not, but from the beginning I knew this would only look good if every wire had it's own place. (Love that description, Ken, "a cup that sprouted wires", HA! I totally Lol'd).

Worked a little on the engine, next post I'll get pics of it up.

For now, I went as far as I want with the body (to be honest I'm actually waiting for some dirt out of my grandma's backyard, it is the perfect powdery-tan substance =D), until then, it'll sit. I also got to work on the bench seat: tell me what you think!

Well I was just going to post in-progress pictures of the seat, but they've gone. Accidently clicked+dragged in the folder, which made copies. When I deleted the copies, so went the originals...so I only have the 'done' picture of the bench....=(

HNI_0071.jpg

HNI_0072.jpg

Here's the seat...a couple of Q-tips, some painter's tape, and a toothpick later

HNI_0073-1.jpg

HNI_0074-1.jpg

HNI_0075-1.jpg

NO there isn't any earwax on the 'fluff'... :D I actually dipped them in the separated fluid of some Testor's Flat White.

Edited by carchub

I'll post pictures of the body soon when I get the color scheme finished, but for now I need help with wiring the engine (It'll be my first time, but I've a good plan already).

HNI_0047.jpg

So far, my plan was to use picture hanging wire (was my only quick + cheap option), "drill" the spark plug holes on the valve covers, and glue the wires through the holes.

HNI_0048.jpg

HNI_0049.jpg

BUT: Now I can't figure out how to glue them on the Distributor Cap!

HNI_0050.jpg

I was given the advice on this forum to go to the local electronic store( radio shack) and get some motor wrapping wire. It's about 3 bucks for 50 feet or so. I will never use anything else if I wire an engine. Looks very real and scale and stays where you put it very well. A few choices of colors. And I also drill the center out of my distributor and lay the wires over. If you want to try a cheap plug boot, try getting a cheap pair of ear bud head phones and using the black rubber wire insulation. It's a little on the big side but looks ok on the bigger valve covers of the hemis. It's hallow once the wire is pulled. Great looking coupe, very authentic.

Edited by moparmagiclives

Enjoying watching this build. Detail Master make really nice turned alloy with phtoetch distributors. A bit fiddly, but worth it.

I have also used alu tube sleeved over a kit distributor. Cut the height of the kit part, cram 9 stripped wire outers into a section of tube, leaving the centre one a bit taller that the rest, whack it onto the kit part and glue it. Stuff the (trimmed to length) plug wires into the empty wire sleeves.

Here's a pic of one I made:

55FordPanelVan13.jpg

Wow man that looks great...I was just fiddling with the whole thing I had together last night, and now I took it apart to restart. Realized I shoulda done it the right way the first time around instead of doing it three times...I'll figure it out. Plus with the battery, alternator, and coil, where do the wires go for that? I'm surprised I've gone through two quarters of Automotive class at my highschool yet I don't know where all of those things connect. Could someone help me out? =D

That's the solenoid on the starter motor you're pointing at. The coil wire comes out top center of the distributor. You could mount the coil itself on the intake manifold or on the firewall. If there isn't a coil in the kit you can easily make one from Evergreen rod or even a piece of sprue from the kit. 1:1 size is about that of a can of V8 (the kinda tomato drink) in diameter and maybe 1 1/2 " taller. Way back when it was very popular to wrap the coil with a Coors beer can - because we couldn't get Coors in the Chicago area.

Ah that makes sense! I'll totally make one out of some sprue, and most likely put it on the firewall, as I don't think I could make it look right on the manifold...another build maybe. Thanks so much Jim! Does it matter where on the firewall I put it? I'd suppose not, just more towards the bottom would be good..