Model Cars Magazine Forum

sharing scans of books........

...but that does not allow someone to take a photo they find on the web and post it on their Facebook page for example. That's not a book review nor does it "benefit . . .the public".

Those modelers who go out on the web and find "reference" photos for a model they are working on then save them in a Fotki album which they then share on a model board like this one are, technically speaking, violating the copyright of the that photo's owner.

Well, I guess that's the end of Real or Model?/Auto ID Quiz.

Makes me wonder how photo hosting sites get away with offering mugs and t-shirts to people viewing your photos. My GF, a nationally honored breeder and photographer, tried to stop someone from selling products with her photos on it and had no luck. That is, the expenses of the legal fight far exceeds what the common working slob can afford so everything on the internet is free for the taking. The only price is whether you feel guilty about it.

Makes me wonder how photo hosting sites get away with offering mugs and t-shirts to people viewing your photos. My GF, a nationally honored breeder and photographer, tried to stop someone from selling products with her photos on it and had no luck. That is, the expenses of the legal fight far exceeds what the common working slob can afford so everything on the internet is free for the taking. The only price is whether you feel guilty about it.

That's why I said in an earlier post, you have to pick your battles. Some of them you can't win and the infringers know it.

If you're talking about Photobucket, read their terms and conditions. When you upload your photos, you're granting them a license to reproduce and distribute your images in almost any way they see fit. I'm sure Photobucket isn't the only image hosting site where that applies.

i understand the copyrights. thank you guys. um, if there is all this copy rights on everything, then what makes not to say all the research and pics we all gathered to build a model is wrong? then how would we be able to build exact stock replicas unless we each person can takes our own pics when we see them, but how often do we all encounter cars like a veyron, or a nismo r34 gtr z-tune, or one of the shelby daytona coupes?

i was just curious about sharing the information since some times we cant find stuff like this anymore. and i thought it would benefit our kind of community and others interested in old books, and such, ect.

i cant post a scan of the cover, BUT please REMEMBER these are local library books, so they will have the markings and alot of wear and tear.......... give me a day or two, and witch section should i post t he covers?

thank you everyone.

I'm not even bothering with the copyright portion.

Brandon - how you been? It's been a long time, dude.

alright, kinda took a break from the model scene, since i kinda dont have the extra room to build one, even those i did finish a '92 honda civic coupe, with some body work, mix of integra type-r grey rims and stock oem chrome s2000 rims, lol. s2000 steering wheel, and such..... not perfect at all, because of my limited build space..... witch is none.... the whole front suspension is glued in white elmers glue for an easy tear down and rebuilt when i feel suited...... that was difficult on its own...

but mostly i have been working and playing with FL Studios 10 XXL producer (aka: frooty loops) music making program, so im making my own music and stuff.

Someone mentioned "Fair Use" earlier--and based on the annual statement I get from Purdue University, where I work, (on staff, not faculty) I read that to mean that I can copy, in all fairness, any printed matter (or for that matter, online matter) for my own personal use (say, pics I download from the Web, scan from a book or magazine), at my own workbench, as reference material. I can even share that matter in a talk given in a meeting of my model car club or with others, as long as I acknowledge the source (who created it in the first place, or where it was found --print, recorded, or posted online somewhere).

However, under copyright law, I am under an obligation to acknowledge the creator of such material, that it is borrowed for the purpose of such presentations. I am not permitted to just insert say, written matter in some sort of writing I may do for public consumption (or for that matter, any work that I might present in a classroom) as my own work. That is what is called "plagiarism" (a word which most all of us here surely heard in High School when assigned to write a theme for English Class, or a term paper for a history class. (remember having to learn how to add "footnotes" and a bibliography at the end of a term paper?)

To translate this into our hobby, model cars, I can certainly create in miniature, for my own use, an exact scale model of any car ever produced, as long as it's done solely for myself, even displayed at a contest or NNL solely by myself, and not reproduced by myself (or anyone else) for profit. In other words, I am not allowed, under law, to just pass off something that someone else has written, photographed, or sculpted (after all, automobiles are considered a form of sculpture) as my own original creative work. And, seriously, that is as it should be, IMHO.

With such as the automobile, there is another "fly in the oinment", so to speak: Trademarks. Arguably the two most famous automotive trademarks in the US are the Chevrolet "Bowtie" and the Ford "Script". Trademarks are valuable, they do put the stamp of the manufacturer (or even retailer) on their product, their place(s) of business, for example. Imagine the chaos that would result if anyone could put those, or any other registered trademark on just anything, willy-nilly! The same thing with patents. A patent is granted to the inventor (or inventors, or even the employer of the inventor(s) of any form of technology as recognition that the person or persons who created that technology has the exclusive right, for a specified period of time, to all income (profts) from their invention--this was set into law very early on in this country, to encourage invention, to encourage creativity--and given the sheer number (in the millions literally!) of patents issued by the US Patent Office since the beginnings of this republic over 220 years ago, it has worked to the advantage of all who live in the US. The same can be said of both copyrights and trademarks: "Why bother to create something new if there is no financial reward that can be assured to the person(s) who created whatever-it-is-that-was-created for at least some reasonable period of years?"

So, yes, while you, I, and the other guys (or gals) certainly can copy something for our own personal use, which can mean sharing with others as a means of advancing our art, our creativity (within limitations for sure), we have no right to profit from those copies (meaning selling copies of someone else's work as if they were our own creation), until the end of the period of time that those created items has expired. You and I, and other model builders can certainly build our own rendition of any car, in miniature form, for our own use, even our own display at public contests or model car shows, as our own work, with no real concern that some lawyer is going to come after us for such work. It's only if I, for example, were to take that miniature creation, sell copies of it to others, that I expose myself to any sort of liability.

One last thing in this all-too-long essay here: The courts have held, all the way up to the Supreme Court of the United States, that a copyright or trademark holder MUST protect their rights, their copyrights and trademarks against any and all who might use them for their profit, or risk losing all rights to the items in question, period. That's why model companies are compelled to gain licensing approval from whatever company, or whomever owns that original trademark or copyright. And it doesn't matter what the medium is in which such copies are produced--it is a blanket thing. It doesn't matter if it's a Chevrolet front fender, original-style replacement engine parts, a Zippo Lighter with say, "Harley Davidson" on it, even molded candies, all that stuff and more is covered by those court decisions.

End of rant.

Art