Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Metal Flake 56 Nomad Revell

Model Car Kustoms

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really interested in your methods for thinning and using the Folk Art paints. You are one of the first builders I see get excellent results with them.

Hey thanks for the compliment! If you (or anyone else for that matter) has any questions (maybe I left out something) let me know,

Here is another video about paint with the FolkArt Paints

http://youtu.be/xOeZeKrthc0

Hello Jason, I recently picked up several bottles of this paint and I have a few questions.

1. what is the exact thinning ratio, I have done it 1:1 and I feel as if it is to thin.

2. what Psi do you shoot it at?

3. Should I use a gravity feed airbrush, I noticed with a siphon feed the flake settles at the bottom.

4. About how many coats should I have before I can see the color,not the flake. I had about nine coats down and all I see is flake.

5. Do I need to have a certain color base coat,I noticed you use black.

6. Any other tips and tricks to help out.

I just watched all your vids on this car.......I like them. Someone told me 1 time the reason I dont have that many comp's/replys is cus most members dont want to watch a vid.........Just look at pics and read what you did.......

So I stoped making the vids. Its whatever......I think your doing a smashing job on the vids. Keep it up, its looking real good. :);)

Hello Jason, I recently picked up several bottles of this paint and I have a few questions.

1. what is the exact thinning ratio, I have done it 1:1 and I feel as if it is to thin.

2. what Psi do you shoot it at?

3. Should I use a gravity feed airbrush, I noticed with a siphon feed the flake settles at the bottom.

4. About how many coats should I have before I can see the color,not the flake. I had about nine coats down and all I see is flake.

5. Do I need to have a certain color base coat,I noticed you use black.

6. Any other tips and tricks to help out.

1. There really is no "exact thinning ratio" for this paint. Many factors come in to play when deciding on how thin or thick to mix it, including the type of airbrush you use, nozzle size, psi, and ambient air temperature.

When I mix I usually go for a 1/1 ratio, sometimes I add a little less thinner, sometimes more.

You will have to fine tune your own mixing ratio, one that will work best with your gun. If your gun can handle shooting the paint thicker (my brush cannot, it clogs my tip) by all means go that route, shooting a thicker paint will allow you to apply less coats to achieve the same effect.

I also use a heating lamp to dry my paints in between coats, so i can shoot thin and dry quickly then re-coat, the heat lamp is what allows me to shoot so thin and still get great results on the final product

check out this video (if you haven't already seen it

http://youtu.be/8SRym9nNeMA

2. Currently I am shooting at 60 psi, though this varies for me (and it will for you), I paint in my garage so the temperature fluctuates, and I will have to change my psi accordingly (40-60 psi seems to be the zone I stay in)

3. I would probably avoid a gravity fed gun with this type of paint, As you have noticed, the flake settles to the bottom of your paint cup, I would imagine it would lead to a massive clog up of metal flake in your gravity fed gun . Your flake will always settle, before coats I will give my airbrush a shake to help to re-suspend the flake.

4. and 5. There is no pigment to the paint, think of it as a clear coat with metal flake in it. The color you see depends on a few things, what base color you use (I used black for this car,), what color paint you buy (the flake color), and how many coats you apply.

I used black for the base on the 56 nomad because I wanted a darker/deeper color (even though I wanted to see as little of my base (black) as possible.

In my case I wanted to see nothing but metal flake.

Here is a video showing lighter coats of the metal flake (2 or 3 coats) on different base coats, using the same color metal flake,

http://youtu.be/s3onCclUfC0

I just watched all your vids on this car.......I like them. Someone told me 1 time the reason I dont have that many comp's/replys is cus most members dont want to watch a vid.........Just look at pics and read what you did.......

So I stoped making the vids. Its whatever......I think your doing a smashing job on the vids. Keep it up, its looking real good. :);)

Hey thanks