Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pimp my Panhard - I'm Not making this up!

Junkman

Well, actually I do, but let's pretend I don't.

Case in point is Solido's 1/18 scale Panhard PL 17.

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

Two cylinders for OMGPOWAH unleashage:

pic003.jpg

Which will remain untouched. Yep. Sorry to disappoint you, but there will be no modification to the powertrain.

What I couldn't live with, is the interior:

pic004.jpg

It's basically all there, but the black plastic grimness just doesn't cut it with a loony like me.
It is also IMO out of touch with the era the model represents. Furthermore, the plastic material chosen
was apparently carefully selected for looking as cheap as possible.
I imagine a Solido Board Room meeting like this:

Ooh, oui, Jaques, le plastique for le interior still looks trop expensive.
OK, OK, Jean-Pierre, je will come up avec something qui looks comme rubbish...

Then there is my pet hate of headlight lenses attached with a central stalk:

pic005.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Hence:

pic006.jpg

I carefully brush painted the interior parts semi gloss:

pic007.jpg

pic008.jpg

And used some gloss paint on the instrument panel:

pic009.jpg

So that it looks like the plastic used in the real car.

The historically savvy among you will now point out to me, that this model depicts a late production PL17,

and that they had switched to dark grey materials for the instrument panel, and my answer is, that whoever

wants to paint something dark grey, should take up military modelling.

My Pan-Pan has the early style instrument panel, because I want it to.

Et voila:

pic010.jpg

pic011.jpg

pic012.jpg

pic013.jpg

pic014.jpg

pic015.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Looks really good! I'll bet even all the savvy car nuts don't know what a Panhard is .. I'll admit defeat in this one and I like most European cars over American iron. I think your mostly safe on anyone calling you out on the model, but I know someone here is up to it.. :D

Hey, thanks a zee!

Well, I think a lot of people in Europe have all but forgotten about Panhards, too, despite it was the third biggest French car maker in its heyday.

They ceased car production in 1967, and very few people know, that despite this, the company is still alive and well - building military vehicles.

Nice upgrade work on a neat little car. I recall seeing these in Europe, but never ever have I seen one in the States.

Most of the other, more familiar (to US car guys) interesting small cars we got from Europe (Fiats, Alfas, Opels, Hillmans, Lancias, Renaults, Peugeots, etc.) have, sadly, been recycled into Hondas or Toyotas by now.

Seeing your pretty little Panhard really makes me wish I'd kept my Renault Dauphine Gordini (bought for $15, with a burned valve).

• 4 months later...

Speaking of Panhards: These two cars showed up at the L.A. County Administrator estate auction about ten years ago...

16531299651_80983dd4cf_c.jpg

16531282541_c0227fb0ee_c.jpg

(sorry - poorly lit warehouse) A fiberglass-bodied Panhard Dyna-based sports car and the Panhard-powered Deutsch-et-Bonnet that won its class at LeMans in the late '50s. I have a lot more photos if you'd like to see them; if so should I put them here or under the 1/1 section?

Here you go. First the D-B:

16533022825_b0dc1d02d8_c.jpg

16531283461_0a7a3b4898_c.jpg

15912814623_2663b7f20f_c.jpg

16531951252_e0255e6b09_c.jpg

I recall despite it being a small local auction, it sold to some big-time sports car builder for $95K plus tax and fees.

Now the Panhard Dyna-based fiberglass job:

16533039055_52446ac5a3_c.jpg

16507011976_830620f998_c.jpg

16346743439_739e127d36_c.jpg

16531967852_29d363ae1b_c.jpg

Strange thing was, despite its having been licensed and (I guess) street-driven, it looked like it had never had headlights. :huh: Sold for $18K.

The second car is a DB Panhard HBR5, chassis number 956, rebuilt for racing with a Hollywood Plastics body.

This car initially was one of 20 with the racing DB engine. The original engine was sold to Vince Di Pierro for his DB,

and he won at Le Mans with it. The car now has a hopped up 1962 PL17 M5 engine.

What you see is the racing nose. There was also a street/night racing nose which contained the headlights.

• 2 weeks later...

that's a great model Christian! back in the early 70s I had a neighbor (Hippy Tom) who had a brush-painted two tone forest green and crème sedan thing that looked like a turtle. now mind you I was a big fan of Citroen DS cars and even AMI6, so body design is not usually an issue, but I thought Toms Panhard was about the ugliest car I had ever seen. and he was forever out there working on the engine. but when it ran it was quite a sight to see driving down the streets. I did gain an appreciation for it over the couple years we knew each other.

jb

They certainly are eccentric even over here. To keep one running in the US of A I don't even want to imagine.

Your ex-neighbour certainly qualifies for the terminal nutter award. I wish I could have downed a few at the local with him.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks awesome! Black interiors where not prototypically correct are a pet peeve of mine, and I even tend to avoid them wherever the subject had any alternative whatsoever.

The yellow paint on the headlight "bulb" is a nice touch.