Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tornadic storms are forecast for the Chicagoland area.

Yeah, I saw that. The storm changed directions and missed Chicago. That storm was the one that caused massive amounts of hail damage in Nebraska and Iowa.

Woodhouse a dealership in Blair Ne, over 4000 cars damaged, 162 Million dollars in hail damage.

The thing that bothers me most Wayne, is that a lot of people will ignore the warnings and try to drive throughdeep and/or swiftley moving waters. Many people die from drowning, and police and fire rescue have to risk their lives to keep them from drowning.

For now, west central Missouri has clear weather predicted until Sunday.

The pics showed cars in the middle of the street up to their windows and beyond in water.

Flash flooding claims at least three a year out here in the desert. We only have an average of 5 inches of rain annually but it comes in one week. Some times it comes in one day. There's no place for the water to go then but over the streets.

G

• 2 weeks later...

Chicagoland, expect Severe Weather tonight. Pay attention to the sky and make sure your weather radio is on for alerts. Could be powerful winds and possibly tornadoes in the area. NWS will probably issue a Tornado Watch soon for the threat.

Be safe and and find a shelter if the weather turns nasty!

From the headlines it looks like the Upper Midwest had a derecho yesterday...not a weather geek, but this is the first time I'd heard that term.

Yeah, that's the newest fad here. I've lived here all my life and never has that word been used in weather forecasts until last year.

Yeah, that's the newest fad here. I've lived here all my life and never has that word been used in weather forecasts until last year.

Kind of like how 'haboob' is relatively new in use here in the desert SW...they used to just call them dust storms, I think...

Kind of like how 'haboob' is relatively new in use here in the desert SW...they used to just call them dust storms, I think...

I looked it up. Apparently a "derecho" is basically a line of strong, land-based thunderstorms.

Sort of like we've been getting here since, oh... forever. But I guess "derecho" sounds way cooler than "severe thunderstorm." :lol:

BTW... if you read some of the stories online regarding our weather last night, you'd think Chicago was completely blown off the face of the earth. They really like to get into hyperbole in some of those weather stories... always making it sound way worse than it really was.

From accuweather.com...

"Today's instantaneous communication of weather extremes by way of social media commands the use of attention-grabbing terms. There is a risk of overuse of terms like derecho or blizzard. However, the term "strong or severe thunderstorms" is used so commonly today that we felt many people may disregard a potentially life-threatening event if we stopped there."

So what he's basically saying is that they have to be on the edge of hysteria just to get people's attention these days... :rolleyes: