Model Cars Magazine Forum

Urethane Hardeners

Greetings Plasticators! Tired of going to your hardener and finding it hard or gelled in the can $$$$$$$? This is a 1:1 tip we use all the time.

Place your Hardener in the refrigerator (make sure the cap is on tight) this will prolong it's life. I have had hardeners stored for at least a year and it is as fresh as the day I opened it.

Bring to room temperature before mixing.

There is no hazard to health as long as the cap is screwed on tight!!! So NO you and your loved ones will not glow in the dark :blink:

I personally don't buy into the inert gas theory, It may be a great sales tool to sell a product but I would not do it or indorse it!!

As someone who works with thermo dynamics on a daily basis the only way you could remove all the air would be to evacuate the container by pulling it into a vacuum less than the atmospheric pressure of the region you live in.

I have the distinct pleasure of calling Jon Kosmoski founder of House Of Kolor (and now consultant to Valspar) as personal friend as I did beta testing in 1983 on the first version of his striping urethanes.

Jon actually turned on the 1:1 custom paint community to the refrigerator trick years ago as the complaints of hardeners gelling burned his phone off the wall. Jon is like a modern day Mad Scientist and found this trick through experimentation. One of the reasons HOK is the leader in Kustom finishes is Jon is a hand on guy! He is in the booth on a regular basis. I have witnessed Jon Paint Kandy and he is truly the Master of the craft

All the containers of hardener are packaged and evacuated by the vacuum process, that's why when you open a fresh container you hear that hiss! That sound is not purging air out of the container it is actually the sound of the negative pressure in the container seeking equilibrium

I personally find the purge theory to be a Barnum and Baily act and not based on any scientific data.

Respectfully Submitted, jwrass

Well James your certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm sure Mr. Kosmoski knows his stuff, but so do the people behind the manufacture of resins such as Freeman supply and Huntsman, who recommend the gas blanket as a way to prolong the useable life of resin. Whether you believe it or not remains to be seen.

It's no secret that vacuuming is the best way to remove the air, but that is not readily available.

I only added the comment about the gas blanket in addition to what you suggested and one that I too use.

Mike, I'm not trying to be confrontational and I agree we are all entitled to our opinions, You make some good points with regards to resins! and even though solvent based paints contain resins they are of a different type than say the resins used in resin casting. So it's Apples to Oranges. I will admit I am not a expert in resins used for castings and inert gas purge may be great for that process.

I do however know a great deal about the chemistry behind Custom Paint Finishes and I would have to say will blowing inert gas into the container hurt urethane well no! Will it help prolong it's life, I doubt it. Would I do it, no as I don't feel it's necessary. This we do agree on!!! Put it in the frig and let it live.

Spirited debate is a great thing as I believe that's how we learn from one another. I respect your opinions and it is my hope that we will chat again soon.

Respectfully Submitted, Jimmy "RASS"