Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk Bonneville streamliner

oldcarfan

This is something I have been working on for a while. Not too fancy, but I like it. It has an interior and a flathead so far, but I haven't decided if I'm going to detail it much past that. Still need a canopy and exhaust and a few other things. I used the Hawk/Testor's body over a scratchbuilt 1/25 chassis.

post-6527-0-43545400-1364850385_thumb.jp

post-6527-0-04939900-1364850407_thumb.jp

Very cool! I've considered on of these for a streamliner project. Is this a 1/24th/1/25th kit? I thought these were 1/32nd. Is it a big enough shell to do 1/25th?

I built it as a 1/25 car. I've heard them listed as 1/32 scale, the body is 6 1/2" by 2 1/2" but it's only about 5/8" tall not counting where it flares over the wheels so it does take some careful packaging. In doing internet research, I came across some pretty small streamliners so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. It works pretty well. One could probably be stretched and widened to add more room inside the body. Think of it as a reverse sectioning!

Edited by oldcarfan

I would love to see a picture if you have one.

Chassis is a save from a gluebomb AMT Watson roadster. It's a lot farther along now, but I don't have current pix. I've gone to a flathead simply because the Hemi wouldn't package without reworking the upper frame rails.

DSCN4619.JPG?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=111964

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hawk actually sold one version as such....

Hawk_Bobcat_Sports_Roadster.jpg

As a kid, when given the choice to buy any of the Hawk streamliners, I chose this one because it looked more real, what did I know about salt flat racing. I liked playing with it for a while, then didn't like it. Now, as an adult, I've wondered what I could do with it for fun again.