Model Cars Magazine Forum

Western Star 5964ss "mystic blue fire"

well this is a little project that ive been working on for a few weeks, straight forward out the box build, of the italeri kit, just changed the rear end slightly with a revel bumper and some KFS mudflap trims.

the paint is candy purple over silver base with blue "flames" airbrushed free hand, in blue white and candy blue, with candy purple and red highlights

GEDC11722_zps549dae38.jpgGEDC11742_zps2200b55e.jpgGEDC1175_zps62184a3a.jpgGEDC11772_zps329449e4.jpgGEDC1178_zps94b792f1.jpgGEDC11802_zpse88aeeee.jpgGEDC11812_zps7335bc9a.jpg

thankyou everyone for your positive replys,

the paint flames were done like this, I started with a silver base coat using acrylic paint from a spray can, then over that with a candy purple from a spray can, (this paint is made by a company called PACTRA and is intended for use on the undersides of clear lexan R.C. car bodies), the flames were painted free hand using a double action airbrush at 15psi, with VALLEJO paints mixed at 50/50, first with a blue

temporary_zpsfe9b1cf9.jpgtemporary_zps24250881.jpgtemporary_zps3b57336e.jpgtemporary_zps05ed7652.jpg

continued...

I then used a white, over the top of that, again working freehand, then sprayed over that with transparent blue, then again with white, going over that with transparent purple red and blue highlights,all the paints used are acrylics by VALLEJO,except for the PACTRA, and the paints were thinned with concentrate screenwash, then three coats of high gloss lacquer

I used a dvd by mike levelle for hints and tips, apology's if I spelt his name wrong,t he biggest issue is splatter, I worked very close to the model to get the fine lines, working in quick motions,and had to keep adjusting the mix to get the flow I wanted, too thin and it splattered, too thick and it clogged, so it was a case of trial and error .

for anyone who wants to try, go for it, this is my second try at it,this might not be the right way to achieve a true fire effect, but its how I did this, I want to try a green fire effect next, but need to clear the work bench, first...lol

Edited by foundationsedge

• 2 weeks later...