Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diamond Reo Tray

Here's one i'm working on at the moment. Its the Diamond Reo cut and stretched. The chassis is done. Cab has been painted but interior is still to go in. It will have a right hand drive dash fitted as well as a Bullbar so it depicts a Truck that would of been working in Australia around the 70's/80's. The step tanks are from the Astro kit. The tray is almost finished. I will strip some thin pine on my table saw and cut into strips for the floor then the floor will be weathered. Daryl

post-12826-0-15992400-1385623455_thumb.j

post-12826-0-71136400-1385623459_thumb.j

post-12826-0-05641600-1385623464_thumb.j

Those fuel tanks really make it all fit together. Gotta remember that one for the future. Nice job.

For what it is worth, there is a low cost model railroaders recipe using a mixture of steel wool and vinegar aged in a glass jar for a week or so until the steel wool basically dissolves. Just brush it on the wood and in a few minutes it gives it an incredible weathered effect with just the right colors. I have not done it in decades so you might look into the specifics but the effects beat anything I have ever seen. I used it for doing flooring in boxcars and loading docks. I used it on just about all kinds of wood with real good results.

• 7 months later...

Here's an update on this one. The tray is practically done. I scratchbuilt a pipe bulbar which was reasonably common on trucks here in Oz around the 70's. I use pieces of fridge magnet between the bumper and the chassis hinge to keep the bar in place. It works well. The deck timber was cut from oversize ice-block sticks from the local craft shop. I used Grey acrylic paint mixed with Isopropyl alcohol and brushed it onto the plank. Then while it was still wet I used a tissue to wipe the plank dry. I modeled the exhaust to run under the chassis to represent a hay hauler from the period. Stay tuned! Daryl

post-12826-0-97818800-1405503552_thumb.j

post-12826-0-90736200-1405503560_thumb.j

post-12826-0-19690700-1405503568_thumb.j