Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Cannonball Run CBP

Nick Winter

Well since it's January 1st in here (Now 9:45PM) I started building my '69 Charger Daytona. Well, I can say that AMT's kit definitely has a lot to improve, so I'm not running out of things to do. Parts don't fit very well together and there is a lot of stuff to clean up and ejector marks to fill. It's not the worst possible kit, though, and I believe that it can be built into a nice looking model...Let's see...

Here's the kit:

96f138e0-7232-4eee-9fab-39ae2c74b631.jpg

I started by gluing the nose on place. I can't say that the fitment is good, since there are a couple of gaps that I need to fill. The fender extension parts don't look very good, either, but I hope that with some styrene and putty I can get them good. I'll remove the seam between the nose and body, since I want it to be like one piece. Next step with this is styrene to fill the gaps and lots of putty...

DSCN9882.jpg

DSCN9883.jpg

On the underside there is a massive gap that I want to fill with styrene.

DSCN9884.jpg

Then I removed exhaust pipes from the rear axle. My build will use a NASCAR Style exhaust with exits on both sides before rear tires. The rear axle needs some sanding and other work before I can paint it.

DSCN9877.jpg

DSCN9878.jpg

Engine block halves were glued together, too. Tamiya's Liquid Glue worked well on here.

DSCN9887.jpg

Spoiler parts had huge ejector pin marks... I've seen large ejector marks before, but these were extremely deep. I already put the first round of putty to cover them, but I'm quite sure that they'll need more putty as well (The picture is before any putty).

DSCN9881.jpg

This is where I am at right now. I'll continue tomorrow with some bodywork.

Edited by W-409

Well i checked the stash and all i can do is a 2 n 1 Nova i will use that as the base but use copo parts to make it a non SS

I hope DanB is cool with me also doing a nova if there is any probs let me know OK guys

pics to follow

Michael

Thanks Gene, I am going to do some research and comparison to other kits to find out. The 442 was a 455ci engine, but the Ralley 350 that I will do carried a 350ci with around 310 hp, I believe it was called a 350 Rocket.

Edited by 64SS350

A couple years ago I bought a built up of an XR6 off of ebay. When the kit arrived I found that it was incomplete but there were actually enough body parts for 2 XR6's. One of them was in decent shape, the other was a glue bomb. I will be using the better of the 2 bodies, the only chassis included, front suspension (VW torsion bars) and rack and pinion. It did come with the kits Slant 6, but I will be replacing it with one from the Lindberg 64 Belvedere.

007_zps215720c0.jpg

008_zps59174bbe.jpg

This is the glue bomb body parts

009_zpsb264559c.jpg

This won't be a copy of the 1962 XR6 but a 21st Century interpretation of it. I already have a few changes in mind for it beginning with losing the goofy looking fenders (witch weren't included with my kit anyway). I just hope I have enough of a parts box to fill in what I'm missing since my real parts stash is still back home in Chicago. I might just scratchbuild what I need.

I've watched these for the last few years. I need to watch all those movies again, though. I'd like to actually enter this year with a 1972? Datsun 510. I'm using the last Revell version of this kit, sold as:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2002/september/first-looks/revell_datsun.htm

I'll try to get photo's of my kit this weekend. I started, but put it aside awhile ago. I glued the engine block together and painted the body, but that's it.

I have a Monogram Datsun truck also, but its a 720, and appears to be a 80-83 body style. Too new for the guidlines.

Back at the bench and here is some updates on the Chevell

The interior:

IMG_20140102_115643_zpscl3woyd1.jpg

The chassis pan, I sprayed the textured paint over the primer and then the flat black on top of the textured paint.

IMG_20140102_115658_zps3osd3biv.jpg

The engine block painted body color

IMG_20140102_115722_zpsx8aiqqnw.jpg

The body after a few coats of clear. Still trying to find a good wax to use and will be getting some bmf to try on it.

IMG_20140102_115755_zpsyq4flr4b.jpg

All comments welcomed.

You're certainly off to a flying start Ashley! Body colour looks nice and I recommend you try BMF, it takes a little practice but is far better than silver paint. One thing, it's a bit hard to see your progress because the pics are little grainy - can you try taking pictures in better light?