Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP 1911 Chevrolet

That is GREAT news, since the NNL Nationals theme this year is 100 Years of Chevrolet we would love to see some 1911 Chevys there. It would be super if they were out in time for some to be built up for the show. Of course put me down for at least one.

I'm seriously asking- what is it about a 1911 Chevrolet Touring Car that has everyone so excited? It's different as far as subject matter is concerned, but there have a few similar era Ford kits around for decades, or is it the rarity which appeals to people?

Casey, yes, it's the rarity of it. It was only produced ONCE, and they were not real popular THEN. Then they were GONE and about 20 years ago, A young fellow had one and decided to cast it as a stocker OR Hot Rod. Then he passed away and left the kit in limbo.

Now, Kevin Lutz has found one and graciously decided to cast them himself. NOW we can all have one at a reasonable price! THANKS, Kev!!!! :lol::D;)

Casey, twenty years ago, I was building some meuseuem exibits and I was still restoring quite a few 1-1 gasoline pumps . The idea of doing some gasoline stations in scale had been a "faint" idea within me at that time . I was and still am actively seeking out what I call "period " subjects like a 1911 Chevrolet as i am very picky as to what vehicles i want with in my dioramas . Now I know that dosen't translate to large sale numbers to warrant a production of kits . The point I'm trying to stress is this , I buy a lot of shall we say "Mainstream" cars that are considered NON-mainstream by model standards , ie Jo-han 56 Pontiac 4dr ht ..........

Ed Shaver

I'm seriously asking- what is it about a 1911 Chevrolet Touring Car that has everyone so excited? It's different as far as subject matter is concerned, but there have a few similar era Ford kits around for decades, or is it the rarity which appeals to people?

Similar era Ford kits? How many Teens era Ford kits are there? I can think of maybe five, in a number of scales.

As far as what's exciting about it? Well, it's the first Chevrolet, the kit was only produced for one year, and will never, ever be reissued because the tooling was destroyed, and I really don't see Round 2 or anybody making any new molds for it. If anything, any Chevrolet that isn't a Nova, Camaro, or '57 is worth having in kit form.

Not everyone bows at the blue oval when it comes to old cars, I'd like a curved dash Olds and a Stanley Steamer in 1/25'th too.

And as for Fords, how about some pre '15 brass era T's ?

Sorry, that was ment to be an edit.

Edited by Craig Irwin

Craig , jus this past fall, I landed a old Hawk kit , yes , a 1912 Rambler in 1-25th scale . Now common, someone here besides me could do a old General Store with a old pump hanging out on the porch . The same can be said of the Chevrolet Touring car , think of the possibilities besides the Pro Street look ............ Ed Shaver

Ed, I have one of those Rambler kits, and the Hawk Hudson too. In the someday stack. Nice but simple. Art Anderson was doing a ful detail build on the Hudson a few years back. I wonder If he ever finished it?

Edited by Craig Irwin

Hawk made the early Rambler and the HUPMOBILE in 1/24. They are pretty nice but need more detail added. I have them and they are on my someday list. AMT made the New York to Paris 1908 Thomas Flyer but it does not have a stock body. Tonka made a 1914 T touring in 1/24 that is nice as is the Winton they also did. Airfix did an early Daraqc that was marked as 1/32 but is about 1/24.

Brass era subjects in 1/24-5 are scarce! I would also love a Curved dash Olds or Stanley Steamer in 1/25th. There is little demand for them, however.

Craig, I'll second you on the Stanley and Curved-Dash Olds. I'd buy bunches of each, espcially if they came with different bodies. I like brass-era cars.

As to this 1911 Chevy. I remember the price tag (about $50) cruelly taunting a high school sophomore in 1991....that would be me.

And now as a broke 30-something, the same price tag taunting me, but at least this time I can get a little money together.

Kevin, if you make one of these, I will buy one and that's a promise!

Charlie Larkin