Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Charger

Shelby 427 1965

Yeah Troy, I find it's very hit and miss.. It's the one time while modelling that I turn the music off!

Thanks Jason, I was thinking about that.. I'd be afraid of messing up so I might just do light accents of black. I ordered mine off eBay, I'm in the UK though so I'm sure there's people doing them in the US!

Cheers!

Have you considered wiring your own distributors? I find that most kit distributors are fine for making your own. Just cut off the pins, use your pin-vice to drill out where the pins were and glue in the wires.

The wire is cheap. Even in Australia where EVERYTHING is a rip off, the wire is only about $7 for 10m.

Yeeeeah after a week of trying I gave up on that idea. I've some spare engines to try and do that stuff on, I don't wanna ruin this one while practicing! Thanks though :)

I wish I hadda thought of this sooner, but I'd love to have made a '68 1/2 Charger, with the rear end from a '69. As I prefer the front of the '68 but the rear of the '69. If I ever get this kit again (which I might, it's a lovely kit and I never tire of the '68/'69s) I'll ask around in the trade section. Do you think it'd be a direct fit?

Edited by Shelby 427 1965

That looks great!! But may i suggest putting the black in the Keystones? And where did you order your prewired distributor?

260-keystone.jpg

I agree about painting the recesses on the Keystone wheels. Use a 0/10 pointed brush and semi-gloss black (use acrylic if you're worried about mistakes). A few minutes work yields spectacular results.

If you don't make your own distributors or need something more accurate than you can make (in my case HEI) you can't go wrong with M.A.D. http://www.madmodeling.com/store/ccp0-catshow/distributors.html

Great selection of wire and cap colors!

Thanks everyone, means a lot! :) I was going to do that with the wheels, but to be honest after giving them a black wash I was happy with the results as they were. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep that in mind for the next build! It ended up the one I got from eBay was a M.A.D. one, it's perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope! If you look near the end of the instructions for the suspension, you'll see under the "race" setup, there's four block shaped things that go under the leaf springs, giving the room for the big back tires. Any questions you have on your build of the '68 don't hesitate to ask! :)