Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Aah Chris, been a while since I paid you a visit here son.....glad to see you ain't been slacking off....... :)

Man, this build has come along in leaps and bounds, and now the body work.......

Can of soda.................check!

popcorn..................check!

Comfy seat.....................check!

Righto mate, I'm set......bring it on. B) :D

Arron.... Thanks bud. I have been thinking about how I was gonna do this for a little while and what I have come up with I think will work pretty good. I didn't get it all done tonight but on my way there.

Alyn... Thank you for the kind words and glad you are enjoying the build up of this.

Greg.... How's my favorite Aussie Mate doing?? Its great to see you back here. Thank you for the kind words. I still have a ways to go but I am making some good progress that I have been happy about.

Ok Fellas.... Little more work done today. I was really hoping to have finished the body support for the rear but I didn't quite get there. I wanted to share a couple of pics to show a little of what was done.

Here is the Body Mount Pads and the start of some of the support Tube/Rod, I still have to shape one of them as well as make two more of these for the main rod that you see in the pic bellow:

DP-Army-Vega2795-1_zps534a1190.jpg

Here I was trying to locate some of the supports. I still have two more that will mount to the rear of the body:

DP-Army-Vega2784-1_zpsbfd57e77.jpg

Bill... thanks man... i am trying ti keeo making progress every day.

Mike.... thank you bud. I cant wait to have the back panel glued in and supports done. Its going a little slower than i was hoping. I thought I could of gotten it done yesterday

Dave... thanks man

Edited by Mooneyzs

Danno... thank you bud.

Dave... thanks bud.... yeah I have to admit that I am getting excited with getting to some of the body details done. I think I needed a change up from the chassis or more so a break from it lol. Hope to have the rear done and start on the front pieces this week.

I really want to work on it tonight bit have some house chores I need to do when I get home. hopefully I will get a little bench time tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Arron.... Thanks bud. I have been thinking about how I was gonna do this for a little while and what I have come up with I think will work pretty good. I didn't get it all done tonight but on my way there.

Alyn... Thank you for the kind words and glad you are enjoying the build up of this.

Greg.... How's my favorite Aussie Mate doing?? Its great to see you back here. Thank you for the kind words. I still have a ways to go but I am making some good progress that I have been happy about.

Ok Fellas.... Little more work done today. I was really hoping to have finished the body support for the rear but I didn't quite get there. I wanted to share a couple of pics to show a little of what was done.

Here is the Body Mount Pads and the start of some of the support Tube/Rod, I still have to shape one of them as well as make two more of these for the main rod that you see in the pic bellow:

DP-Army-Vega2795-1_zps534a1190.jpg

How excellent is that !

Great detail, Chris. You know no bounds

Dave... i think it would be a pain to do in 1/24th but it could be done. Its a little easier in 1/16th ;). Little more room to work with lol. The body just pivots on the brackets on the chassis with the tubing.

Alyn...thank you. I am hoping to possibly work some more on these tonight and this week. I will have to take some better pics of the rod since i soldered a piece of tube on the end for the bolt to go thru. I am currently tryng to figure out how i will be able to solder the rods at the correct angle i need them to be in the installed position.. but i have an idea i hope works

Hey Fellas.... I know this update has been way over due. I haven't been able to get to the bench much in that past few weeks. And I sure have missed working on this project and I actually was able to get a little time yesterday to work on this. I have got a little more work done on the rear body bracing. I was able to get a few of the pieces soldered together as well as getting the mounting point glued in. I now need to work on getting the rear body panel glued in so that I can finish the other two mounts that will go to the back body panel. I am hoping to get it done today or tomorrow. Anyway here are a few pics, they aren't the best pics but just a couple to show the progress. I still need to sand and file the solder joints down. Thanks for looking

Here is what I have done on it so far. Got the two support mounts soldered to the main brace. I still need to make the two that mount to the back body panel and then I need to make the mounting pads for the sides:

DP-Army-Vega2799-1_zps137f9876.jpg

Here is an up close shot of one of the braces. Solder joint is a little bulky but will get sanded and filed down:

DP-Army-Vega2800-1_zps86938e15.jpg

Here is a close up of the body mount pad glued in place. yesterday when I was working on this I said what the heck and just glued it in lol. Now I need to do that to the back panel...lol

DP-Army-Vega2802-1_zps9134fc75.jpg

Hey guys.... thanks for all of the encouraging words. I got the rear body panel glued in yesterday and wanted to make sure it was good and dry before proceeding. So i had set it aside after i was done gluing.Tonight I will be able to finish up the rear body bracing when I get home from work. I cant wait to get this part of the body done. I do have to admit that I really happy with how it is turning out so far.