Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '40 Ford Sedan early 60's style drag car updated 3/29/14

VW93

I thought a WIP on this may help improve my skills. I'm using the Millenium issue '40 sedan for this build. The body had some molding issues that I've tried to correct to the best of my current abilities.

Goal is to have a nice looking shelf model with a glossy finish. Going to spend a little extra time on paint, sanding and polish on this one.

Colors are Krylon Peekaboo Blue gloss for the exterior,rims and under the hood. The interior is Krylon Pebble satin with Krylon Sun Yellow gloss for the suspension. Old's engine will be a flat yellow with Hilborn injection. Chassis is Krylon Black satin.

40FordSedanWIP005-crop.jpg

40FordSedanWIP003-crop.jpg

First color coat and I see that this area needs some attention.

40FordSedanWIP009-crop.jpg

Interior painted, going to do a little detail work on the dash. Also going to try and clean up the seam along the front seat top a little bit. The pictures really show the faults.

40FordSedanWIP007-crop.jpg

Also need to do a better job on the engine seams. Engine is in the tank right now. I use a denture bath container for stripping chrome and small parts. Has a basket you can hang to drain the parts. Just make sure you have an adequate amount of liquid in it when you hang the basket so it doesn't tip over.

40FordSedanWIP011-crop.jpg

40FordSedanWIP012-crop.jpg

Rims painted, just need lug nuts & hubs detailed with semi gloss black. I'm undecided on the white letter or the whitewall M&H's. Fronts are from the Revell/Monogram '50 Ford PU.

40FordSedanWIP006-crop.jpg

Edited by VW93

Moving along with this build. I had a few setbacks with paint and detailing. I will need to reshoot the L/F fender as I was a bit heavy handed with the sanding and have to give the roof a few more coats. The detail painting of the hubs & lugnuts didn't come out as well as I wanted plus the rims really needed some more color on them. They are in the pond awaiting some good weather to prime & paint them again. Also need to prime & paint the engine, steering column & the magneto. Need to research the colors of the Mallory magneto caps, I'm thinking red.

Mocked up with the M&H white letter tires and 50 Ford PU front whitewalls. I had stripped the chrome from the lowered axle and that was painted yellow along with the rest of the suspension. Both hoods were warped and had issues with the trim. Straightened one and filed & sanded to get this fit.

40FordSedanWIP003-crop-1.jpg

40FordSedanWIP005-crop-1.jpg

Interior nearly finished.

40FordSedanWIP007.jpg

Headers need some work, inside of both collectors were hollow. I filled the one collector side with a reworked plastic toothpick, still needs some filing & sanding.

40FordSedanWIP009-crop-1.jpg

This is basically a practise build for the box art versions I'd like to do in the future. Need to find a couple of sets of the original Trophy Series headers that exit behind the front tires for the sedan & coupe kits.

scan0081-vi-crop.jpg

I have a set of the original decals that need to be scanned & reprinted.

40FordSedanWIP010-crop-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments. This is only my second full build in about 30 years. Previously I had just been using bodies for oval track slot cars. I hope to have this done by this weekend, next up either an AMT '32 Ford coupe or AMT '61 Ranchero.

Got a little more done this week. I still have to detail paint the engine, running boards & rims.

Interior finished, glass is polished.

40FordSedanWIP005-crop-2.jpg

I lost some paint again due to some over sanding again.Lost some along both edges and along the area where the fender welt would be on the 1:1 car. I'm thinking of shooting some paint in a cup and touching up these areas with a brush. Also lost some paint on the passenger side trim. I'm going to order some BMF in a few weeks and attempt my first foil work.

The finish is much glossier than the pictures show, I also need to work on my photography.

40FordSedanWIP001-crop-1.jpg

Edited by VW93

After looking over all the areas where I sanded through the final coat I've decided not to touch it up. I'm going to strip the polish from it with some 70pct alcohol as was suggested when I requested help in the Q&A forum.

I was happy with the glossy finish but couldn't live with the areas that needed attention. The drivers side door frame, side window frame, and where the body meets the fenders were pretty close to the primer. On the passenger side the panel behind the door had a small area that was down to the primer. R/F & L/R fenders also needed a touchup.

I'll have to wait until Monday to reshoot it due to the rain here this weekend

40FordSedanWIP007-crop-1.jpg

I stripped the rims from the first attempt at detailing, repainted & detailed them again. I'm satisfied with this attempt of detailing the hubs & lugnuts.

40FordSedanWIP004-crop-1.jpg

Engine finished, I reworked the seams. Waiting for the cement to do its job before I install it. I hope to have it on 4 wheels tomorrow.

40FordSedanWIP002-crop-1.jpg

hey frank, this looks really great, like back to my childhood, though of course with one one thousandth the skill back then!

one thing if I could, and maybe you were going to do this anyhow, but you might think about tacking all the body parts onto the car with masking tape, leave them loose so your lines wont fill in, and then give the entire body one or two easy kind of coats, followed by a final color coat just to the edge of running. don't touch it, leave the area. seriously. preferably do it in a warm room like a small bathroom with a heater. then come back to it in an hour and it will all be even color and ready to dry and get a final polish. it will look way better than the real thing ever did!

hope that helps

jb

Edited by jbwelda

hey frank, this looks really great, like back to my childhood, though of course with one one thousandth the skill back then!

one thing if I could, and maybe you were going to do this anyhow, but you might think about tacking all the body parts onto the car with masking tape, leave them loose so your lines wont fill in, and then give the entire body one or two easy kind of coats, followed by a final color coat just to the edge of running. don't touch it, leave the area. seriously. preferably do it in a warm room like a small bathroom with a heater. then come back to it in an hour and it will all be even color and ready to dry and get a final polish. it will look way better than the real thing ever did!

hope that helps

Thanks for the comments. My skills are only just a little better then when I first started building around 1962!!!!

I may your try your suggestion of painting everything as one piece. The only place I can paint is outside and the weather here on Monday should be in the 60's with decent humidty.

I've been warming my paint in a container of warm (95 to 98 degrees) water for 15 minutes before spraying. I had also let the final coat gas out for 48 hours before the final sanding & polishing.

It all looked good until I took it outside in bright daylight & found all my errors.

The Krylon I'm usng can be recoated within 4 hours and then again after 24 hours. I was going to give it 2 or 3 light coats within the 4 hour time frame, and let it gas out until Wednesday. I was going to wet sand it with some 1,000 grit & then hit it with the final coat.

i won't be able to get back to it until Sunday as I'll be at he Charlotte Auto Fair for a few days. By then it should be gassed out enough for a final sanding if needed and some polish.

Edited by VW93

This is another of my favorites from the 60's --- simple kits (good body proportions) and just a few parts ---

You can really do a lot just detailing them a bit with paint and few scratch built parts ---

Nice to see you building this one -- I have a nice street rod version in my display case that I really like ----

Yours is really cool ---

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 4 months later...

I've off the forum for quite awhile due to my computer deciding to fry a few months ago. I was finally able to afford an economy laptop, having all sorts of fun trying to figure out Windows 8 versus my old Vista system.

Here's where I'm at now with this long stalled project.

After several trips to the purple pond the paint is at a point I can live with. I certainly learned the hard way about body prep & sanding.

I still need to paint the wiper arms & touchup the running boards, give the front tires a sanding and a few other small "fixes".

Looking over the whole build there are a few things I should have done differently. On the next build I'll try to incorporate those improvements.

I hope to have this finished in the next couple of days, then a build of the Lindberg/AMT '34 Ford Pickup.

post-12704-0-10027000-1407266234_thumb.j

post-12704-0-14831700-1407266237_thumb.j

post-12704-0-61148600-1407266242_thumb.j