Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar cars that should be cast!

I think people have cloudy memories of the past.

The 80s were a tough time for all the car makers. The K car series were good cars for the time. Car & Driver headlines were "Chrysler digs out with a dandy new shovel." when the first two were tested.

The Daytona turbo was K based as was much of the line up. They were tough profitable cars that were as good or better then anything that the competition had at the time.

Now we look back at those cars and say, "What junk." Which is the same thing the people in the 80s thought of cars from the 70s.

Would I trade My 2006 Charger R/T for a 1989 Daytona Turbo.. Heck nooooo!

But I would trade it for my old 1970 440+6 Roadrunner.

Just my 2 cents.

i'm pretty sure Chrysler would like to forget the dismal K cars. :lol: :lol:

I'm even more sure they realize without the K-car and it's many derivatives, Chrysler Corporation would have joined Packard, Studebaker, Cord, and all the other defunct American automakers almost two decades ago. They may not have been sexy, but they saved Chrysler.

A model kit of an Aries or Reliant...no. I'm not even sure a resin kit would be worth creating, based on projected sales.

I'm hoping Moebius' Ford Pickup kits sell well, and maybe spark an interest at Revell for them to take on a 1/25 scale '72-'80 D/W series and RC/TD project or two.

"Realistic" Proposals :

1.) 1967 Dart GT+S

2.) 1970 Dart Swinger 340

3.) 1970 Duster 340

4.) 1968 Coronet R/T & Super Bee

5.) 1968 Road Runner

6.) 1969 Coronet R/T & Super Bee

7.) 1970 Charger R/T

8.) 1972 Charger Rallye

9.) 1970 Road Runner

10.) 1971-1972 Road Runner

11.) 1975-1978 Coronet / Monaco

12.) 1974-1975 Monaco

13.) 1970-1974 Challenger

14.) 1971-1974 Barracuda

15.) 1972-1993 Pickup & Van

Definetly, the 68' Dodge Coronet R/T should be considered for release. I hope the kit companies are seeing this thread.

The 68' Coronet R/T can easily be a 3 in 1 kit. A stock street version, nascar version (#99 Paul Goldsmith car) and a drag version. This would be a

very flexible kit. I beleive there is a good chance for this to come out and we may very well see this happening.

Unlikely, but I'd have to have atleast 3.

GEDC2660.jpg

GEDC3255.jpg

('69 Fury III Convertible)

Nick

Edit: Only have the white car now and have a set of proper '69/'70 Dog dishes, the below photo is of the white car wearing a '66 Polara Dog dish.

GEDC3325.jpg

Edited by Nick Winter

Well, I'll start off with any Mopar that hasn't been done before.

First the 1936 Dodge Humpback (or Turtleback) delivery truck and an art deco beauty the 1938 Dodge Deluxe coupe.

Then I'd want the 1955 Plymouth Savoy two door sedan and the 1956 Dodge Crown Lancer two dor hardtop.

Somewhere in there I'd include the 1959 Desoto Adventurer and the 1961 Chrysler 300G. Gotta love those fins.

I'd want an all new issue of the 1972/76 Dodge D-100 and or the 1977/80 Dodge D-150 pickup since the MPC truck can never be reissued after the mold was butchered for a one shot monster truck.

And last, but certainley not least, the 1969 Chrysler 300 in both hardtop and convertible configurations.

There are others, lots of others, but this will do for now.

Edited by darquewanderer

I think people have cloudy memories of the past.

The 80s were a tough time for all the car makers. The K car series were good cars for the time. Car & Driver headlines were "Chrysler digs out with a dandy new shovel." when the first two were tested.

The Daytona turbo was K based as was much of the line up. They were tough profitable cars that were as good or better then anything that the competition had at the time.

Now we look back at those cars and say, "What junk." Which is the same thing the people in the 80s thought of cars from the 70s.

Would I trade My 2006 Charger R/T for a 1989 Daytona Turbo.. Heck nooooo!

But I would trade it for my old 1970 440+6 Roadrunner.

Just my 2 cents.

Amen to that.

They were decent cars for their time. I had an 84 Daytona Turbo w manual trans. While not a hot rod by any means, it was still plenty fast and good handling in comparison to what else was out at the time.

Corey

Edited by dimebolt

Re: the K cars- look at what Carroll Shelby did with their derivatives- can you say "GLHS"? I'd like to see a Turbo Spirt R/T and a '67 Sport Fury convertible, and I'll certainly second or third the motion for a late '40's Power Wagon. Also, how about a late '40's Town and Country ragtop woody- so much classier than the '48 Ford (IMHO :) ).

I have a question that might be related here. Awhile back I saw an article with a photo of a car that I think was a Mopar. It was a car that had the body made of clear acrylic plastic. May have been from the 40's. A demonstration factory car of sorts that was going on an auction somewhere. Anybody know for certain what it was? Thank in advance. If whatever it was existed as a kit it would be cool to do in scale. It would be some work though.

Greg

Edited by Greg Wann

I have a question that might be related here. Awhile back I saw an article with a photo of a car that I think was a Mopar. It was a car that had the body made of clear acrylic plastic. May have been from the 40's. A demonstration factory car of sorts that was going on an auction somewhere. Anybody know for certain what it was? Thank in advance. If whatever it was existed as a kit it would be cool to do in scale. It would be some work though.

???

1939-pontiac-plexiglas-deluxe-six-ghost-car-1.jpg