Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 chevy gasser

71drolds

man im really bummed out now. my last lead for pictures of this cAr just burned up. i dont think i'll be able to get decals made for it.

Did you try Byron Stack's Gasser Madness site? I'd be amazed if someone there didn't have photos of the car. The knowledge about vintage gassers in that group is off the charts.

http://gassermadness.com/Gas-FX/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

The stance is right on and those transplanted wheel openings look great. Excellent progress.

If I can offer a bit of advice: those look like "wrinkled" slicks - am I right? It's hard to tell for sure in the photo. If I'm seeing it right, it looks like you've got that tire backward. And something to be aware of is that the only time you'll see a tire wrinkled like that is on the launch.....it wouldn't be wrinkled in one direction when it was sitting still. It's something most modelers overlook when they're using those wrinkle wall slicks.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by Mark Brown

The stance is right on and those transplanted wheel openings look great. Excellent progress.

If I can offer a bit of advice: those look like "wrinkled" slicks - am I right? It's hard to tell for sure in the photo. If I'm seeing it right, it looks like you've got that tire backward. And something to be aware of is that the only time you'll see a tire wrinkled like that is on the launch.....it wouldn't be wrinkled in one direction when it was sitting still. It's something most modelers overlook when they're using those wrinkle wall slicks.

Keep up the great work!

your right. they are backwards. opps! the slicks do wrinkle excessively when a car takes off, but under that very low tire pressure, after time they start to wrinkle sitting still. maybe not to the point that these tires are molded, but oh well. i like the way they look squated down like they have low pressure instead of looking like a over inflated slick.

offer any advice you guy want to. im open to opinions and any comments.

your right. they are backwards. opps! the slicks do wrinkle excessively when a car takes off, but under that very low tire pressure, after time they start to wrinkle sitting still. maybe not to the point that these tires are molded, but oh well. i like the way they look squated down like they have low pressure instead of looking like a over inflated slick.

offer any advice you guy want to. im open to opinions and any comments.

Mark is correct...the tires like you have there are wrinkled in one direction only...indicating the car under launch but not sitting still. While wrinkle wall tires do wrinkle at rest, they do so in both directions at the same time.

To help you out here is a photo of a car under hard launch. Note the way the wrinkles always point to the front...I hope this helps you out.. :)

Launch-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here is a photo of a car equipped with wrinkle walled slicks at rest. Notice how the wrinkles are much less pronounced and they extend away from the center in both directions.

Panella-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Keep up the good work with this one! I like the modifications, you have done so far. I like the flip nose and that rear fender from MPC kit, it fits fine to this body. I can't wait to see this Gasser finished, Gassers are my favorites! :P

Nice pic's Terry, I myself never noticed the difference in the shape/angles of winklewalls at motion or rest, I'll have to remember this if I put together a car with winklewalls. Thanks again.

My pleasure. I like to help guys out to get things correct...if that's what they like to do.

i love the orange glass. anybody know how to do that on a model?

You could either use plastic notebook dividers(they come in an assorted color package)available at wal-mart in the school supply section I think. Or maybe you could spray tamiya clear orange #500 on clear "glass". Never tried the paint idea but it should work if you spray lightly.

You could either use plastic notebook dividers(they come in an assorted color package)available at wal-mart in the school supply section I think. Or maybe you could spray tamiya clear orange #500 on clear "glass". Never tried the paint idea but it should work if you spray lightly.

I have tinted windows using the tamiya clear smoke. Works pretty good just gotta spray light and do multiple coats to your liking :)

i love the orange glass. anybody know how to do that on a model?

you can buy colored acetate at the dollar store. its like cellophane from cigarette pack.

i have some that i plan on using for a model but its red

but when using it you can either cut it out and apply it directly to the windows or use t it instead of the windows

Edited by wreckless666

I BUILT THAT KIT WHEN MPC FIRST BROUGHT IT OUT IN 1974??? THE CHASSIS WAS FIRST RELEASED ON A 75-76? DATSUN FLIP-NOSE PICK UP. THEN THE 57 CHEVY CAME OUT ON THE SAME CHASSIS. THAT MIGHT ACCOUNT FOR THE BODY BEING SMALLER "IN SCALE" TO FIT ON THE CHASSIS. I BELIEVE THE 53 FORD PU FLIP NOSE TRUCK (AGAIN MPC) WAS ALSO THE SAME CHASSIS.37 YEARS AGO IS A LONG TIME TO REMEMBER, SO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG GUYS! JUST REMEMBER TO COMPARE THE CHASSIS FROM ALL OF THOSE MPC FLIP NOSE KITS, I THINK ITS THE SAME ONE!!!!!