Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jungle Jim Tribute, MOPAR Style

Nitrozilla

The Greatest Showman known to drag racing was Russel James Liberman. About 1973 or so, he came to his senses and switched to Chrysler / Dodge / MOPAR powerplants. That was, unfortunately near the end of his life. I think in those days it would've been too much of a shock for him to make the body switch as well. Not a shock to Jungle Jim, but to his legion of Chevy fans.

This is a "what if" build that shows what it might have looked like if he made the complete switch. Granted, historically early being a 1969 Charger, but I have to work with what I've got. lol

Using the Revell Hawaiian, it's gonna be a detailed outa-da-box project. I'll be using 3 sets of Slixx decals. Two for the Jungle signage and another for the "Dodge Charger" nose.

I will be making the following changes / additions / modifications / stuff / things.

Blower hat doghouse on interior tin (Nature abhors an open front windshield on funny cars.)

Frame plate beside engine block

Fill Chi-Town hatch groove.

Install hinged roof hatch.

Make aluminum header brace.

Upsweep headers.

Install rear wings / canards.

Make replacement gas pedal.

Plug wires on engine.

Chute release and chute cords.

If I missed something, I'll point it out later. This list is subject to changes at management's discretion.

Feel free to share a Jungle pic or memory as we stroll along.

Peace, out.

Edit: The actual year he switched was 1969 and is corrected in a later post.

Gallileo003.jpgGallileo012.jpgGallileo009.jpg

Edited by Batzilla

I must have got some bad info or misremembered what happened on Jungle's motor change. Thanx for the correction Ken. It makes me period correct then for the model I'm using. To back you up, I found this:

"One of Liberman's strengths over the years was that he was the leading banner carrier for the underdog Chevrolet contingent. There was some grumbling from die-hard purists in 1969 when he was finally forced to set aside his beloved rat motor in favor of a Chrysler Hemi, but he actually built upon his popularity by adding improved performances to his already established standards of showmanship."

I'd love to have those Pam and Jim figures. If anyone has left over figures from a non-Jungle build, we can talk.

BTW, the figures look good, but Pam still needs more putty.

sacriledge..Jungle Jim in Dodge clothing, that's blasfemy.

in the other hand, it is looking very good, have to try the opening hatch

one day in my builds, will like to see what else have you done

can you post a link top your album...thanks

Lanny: Thanx for the nice Pam pic.

Drag: Thanx for the nice Pam pic comment.

JB: Thanx for the nice "Wow, Pam is alright" exclamation.

Sheesh, I knew this was gonna happen !! Does everybody have Pam on their brain? Can we please get back to the model???? THANK YOU !!!!

Oh, here's my favorite pic of Pam:

Um, know what? Probably shouldn't show any of my favorite pics. I like being part of this forum and those might change my status around here.

You're right. Back to the model.

First, almost final steps of the hatch. Since I Dremeled out the roof I needed a blank for the hatch. It was too thin and was below roof level. A piece of solder as a molding seemed appropriate and worked like a champ. Hatch sanded to contour of roof.

Next instead of removing the inside nose ribs and mold ejection marks, easier to cover them up. A trick I learned when making the interior panels for the US Dart.

Don't think the interior tin is supposed to be "viable" outside the body, but had to put it together prior to paint. I'm thinking Tamiya Clear Blue over Silver?

Speaking of paint, anybody wanna suggest a body color? Only qualification is it has to be a shade of blue in a paint bomb, no airbrush yet.

Gallileo030.jpgGallileo027.jpgGallileo035.jpgGallileo037.jpgGallileo038.jpg

So, um, ANNNNYWAY, noticed during a test fit that the top front of the rollcage was smack dab in the middle of the hatch opening. A 6 year old would probably make it through.....sigh.

My first attempt to correct it was to shorten the top and side braces, then bend back the front. Wasn't enuff though, so the only solution was to replace them.

Also got the canard bracers done. Just need to pin each end, drill some holes in the frame and ready to paint the wings with the body. Starting on the header bracers next.

Ken, I'm thinking real hard about the laquers. No primer required? I have to anyway to make sure the body is good. And please tell me about the mid coat. Not familiar with that process.

"Drag Racing Is Far Out!" - JJ

Remember this pic of the rollcage?

Gallileo009.jpg

Now try this on for size.

2007-01-06011.jpg

And in color. Wow, lots of touch up to do.

2007-01-07002.jpg

The aforementioned canard struts. Notice how many times I've used that word and avoided the deadly "Rolls Canardly" joke? I'm so proud of me.

2007-01-06003.jpg2007-01-06001.jpg

Joe......your "Jungle Jim" tribute model is coming along GREAT!!!!......I have always been a "Jungle Jim" fan ever since I saw his cars run at Lion`s,Orange County,and Irwindale drag strip.......I too,built a tribute "Jungle Jim" model a few years back......I hope you don`t mind me posting it on your thread?.......thank`s.

DSCF1152.jpg

John, anything is welcome from JJ stories to JJ pics and especially JJ builds. I revisited your post on this car as a refresher for inspiration when I started this build. It reminded me to put a "JJ" decal on the front spoiler. lol

Brandon, get busy on that Hustler. They may be out there, but I haven't seen any variant builds of the CTH. That'd be kewl.

Edited by Batzilla

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I took an official "Lazy Day". Did get work done on the canard bracers and the hatch. I even made a new hinge out of aluminum tubing instead of the plastic one shown earlier. Smoother operation, smaller, more realistic size. Header supports are also done.

About time to start prepping the body. I'm going to putty in the hood and trunk lines, possibly also blend in the rear spoiler. Then there's that CTH hatch line that's gotta go too. I'll have pics tonite. Now I'm off to drive over the new Hoover Dam Bridge. Oughta be kewl.

Thanx for hangin' in there folk's. I've been busy and no end in sight, but here's the promised update only 2 days late.

Got the body work done and ready for primer. Haven't decided whether to try the Testor's lacquer for the first time or play it safe and stick with Tamiya acrylics. The acrylics are tried and true, plus gave me exactly the look I wanted on my Chi-Town Hustler. Flip that coin and I really want to see how the Testor's Star Spangled Blue looks with Wet Look clear. Guess we'll all find out soon.

Lastly, here's the header braces, the canard brackets and the hatch, also ready for paint.

So what am I waiting for?

2007-01-09001.jpg2007-01-09003.jpg2007-01-09004.jpg2007-01-09009.jpg

Sweet, I got my "Frampton Live" cookin', the chassis touch up is done, final test fit on the canards, reshot the silver on the tin and it's got the first coat of Tamiya Clear Blue. Note to self: Use sparingly.

Also got the inside of the body shot. This will get masked off, then primer, Gold undercoat and Blue. (Yes, on the outside.)

I mentioned using a pair of Deoras for the US Dart transporter. Naw, I think it would make a cooler Jungle hauler. Besides, the Dart spends most of it's time with it's nose in the air. lol

Lastly, I need a recommendation on how to knock the shiney off the tires. I shot them with Krylon Matte Finish and it worked fine on the wheels, but actually made the tires shinier.

2007-01-10001.jpg2007-01-10002.jpg2007-01-10003.jpg2007-01-10004.jpg2007-01-10005.jpg

Woot !! Everybody's patience is about to pay off. Especially mine !! This is a rockin update.

Found a pic today that illustrates the restraint I had to use when I decided to put wings on.

The tinwork is painted and ready for installation.

The header braces are in place.

The canards are also ready. I won't glue them in place until decals and gloss coat, so ignore the droopage.

The shine on the tires is gone.

2 minor set backs. The body needs more putty. It's like I didn't do it at all. :angry::mellow::unsure::lol:B) (Sorry about the focus on the body shot, I'm medicated.) Also, the wheelie bars broke, which is fine because they had severe mold mismatch and the upper strut was flimsy as all get out. Is broke? I make fix. I'll use aluminum tubing and wire to make new struts.

See y'all again real soon now, ya hear?

benito-big.jpg2007-01-12007.jpg2007-01-12001.jpg2007-01-12003.jpg2007-01-12009.jpg