Model Cars Magazine Forum

A number of the older Ford tractors were Harry Ferguson designs.

The 3 point hitch and the hydraulic system were the only parts that were designed by Ferguson. The rest was done in house by Ford. The tractor pictured is a Ferguson, most likely a TO20.

The 3 point hitch and the hydraulic system were the only parts that were designed by Ferguson. The rest was done in house by Ford. The tractor pictured is a Ferguson, most likely a TO20.

the 3 point hitch that is on the n series tractors are a "Ferguson" 3 point is what i think there called?...but b/w ferguson and ford they had a lawsuit against ford for patent infringments but they battled out for several years and ended up settling for half the original suit....due to the fact most of the patents by ferguson expired!

The 3 point hitch was the Ferguson System. On the 9 and 2 N tractors, there was a badge under the Ford badge stating that it was equipped with the Ferguson System. The badge was chevron shaped. Not all N series tractors had the 3 pint hitch on them, though. Most of those were tractors used for non-agricultural use, mainly industrila and construction. One of the more well known was the BNO 20 and BNO 40 Aircraft Tug. Versons without the 3 point did not have the Ferguson badge. Also, 8N tractors did not have the badge. Up to late '47, Ferguson did own the rights and sales distribution for the factory implements, which was big part of the split and later, the lawsuit.

Something that should be noted, the N seris Fords were not the first tractor to have what became the 3 point Ferguson System. David Brown was the first porduction tractor, plus Ferguson did make some conversions for the earlier Dagenham built Fordsons. Also, before the official split, Ferguson had actually started production of his own Ferguson tractors (the TE20) in England, essentialy in direct competition with Ford. It's common misconception that those tractors were built with Fords blessing, that is not the case. It was also another part that caused the split.

I own two Harry Ferguson's and both are dependable work horses.

A 1950 TO 20 I've had about 5 years that I only use to mow the grass & pasture ...

TO20-vi.jpg

and a 1952 TO 30 I've had over 25 years that does everything else.

TO30-vi.jpg

PS in May 1936 Harry Ferguson made the Ferguson Model A tractor. He produced the TE20 in England starting in the autumn of 1946. Production of a US version, the TO20, started in October 1948. He also developed the first four-wheel drive Formula One car, the Ferguson P99.

Edited by old-hermit

• 10 months later...

Looks like a Ferguson 35.

its actually ferguson to30 or to20 the to35 had two sticks the shifter and a high low the 30 is a single stick like the one in the origanal pcture heres a pic of a to35 1.1 i recently restored

post-11137-0-16588300-1367476458_thumb.j

post-11137-0-65166600-1367476478_thumb.j

post-11137-0-88054100-1367476496_thumb.j

Edited by bug1623

Actually the first pic is a jubilee grill...while the other one is what most other people are familiar with!...

Next time ill get a pic of my grandads teo20!

no its a orginal ford 8n bought new in 54 and been hard at work eversince

no its a orginal ford 8n bought new in 54 and been hard at work eversince

The last 8Ns were built in '52. Technically, the Jubilee tractors are '53 only, coinciding with Ford "Golden Jubilee" 50th anniversary. What you looks to be a 600 Series, introduced in '54.

• 3 weeks later...

One of these days I'd like to scratchbuild one of these, and put it on a flatbed being pulled by a White Road Boss semi-

I would love seeing this build. The lines are fairly straight, but what V-8 engine did white use in these?