Model Cars Magazine Forum

So many firsts with this kit. In the past I've only ever built cars and bikes using rattle cans and brushes,

This model is different in lots of different ways

So, first armour, first time I've used an airbrush, first time I've made a (albeit simple) base, first attempt at weathering.

The kit is from Eastern Express (?) and was truly awful to build! More flash than I've ever seen, and I've got more parts left in the box than I used! Just couldnt get the tracks right, gave up in the end so i could move onto something else. No brushes used at all, I used tamiya acrylics.

il3JF7K.jpg

SlU5gFK.jpg

rD1qomM.jpg

4qPrt8i.jpg

AFa1H0r.jpg

CgsKsgE.jpg

MIl5C3m.jpg

zLcKjqD.jpg

h22D7Ie.jpg

Y0TgCU3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eGYXhl0.jpg

Not a bad first time build at all. I'm sort of left wondering about the color is all. Russian armor mostly means 4BO Green. I do like the peeling paint effect.

If you continue into the "dark side" of modeling, and like Russian KV's, get one of the Trumpeter kits. They are the standard by which all are judged in this genre.

G

I tried to copy the colour of the tank that was on the box, so it ended up being a custom mix of about 4 different paints.

I used masking fluid for the chipping, painted the green undercoat and then stippled some masking on with a firm brush. Painted the top coat then removed the making fluid to show the paint beneath.

Just got a Revell Marder 1A5 in the sale, so hoping that will come out better than this one.

Thanks for the comments guys

Mark thats lesson #1, beware box art!

Actually reversing the colors would be "technically correct" but you got it looking good as is. I only comment about the color in that you mentioned this being dark side build #1. Nice first try on the chipping too.

I'm anxious to see the Marder built.

Edward that is a good one for sure.

G