Model Cars Magazine Forum

FULL BUILD REVIEW: 1/12 Revell Shelby Mustang GT500

Nice. I am going to get one of these when it is released. I saw a nice sliver one at a dealer a few months ago, it had no stripes and no rear spoiler. It was the ultimate sleeper. Since I do not want to have a car payment, I will build in the 1/12th scale. I wish I took a pic of that car that day.

Oh well.

Well after a few nights of polishing with my arms almost falling off I got the paint very smooth. Then I applied the decal stripes. Be careful with them! They are thin, stick very easy and dont work really well with micro sol. But they hardly bleed at all. I used them for the sake of the review so everyone can see how they look. The 1:1 stripes are vinyl so using the decals is correct. But, painted stripes would also look very nice.

P1010682-vi.jpg

P1010684-vi.jpg

P1010683-vi.jpg

P1010685-vi.jpg

I painted the chassis grey and fogged in some Grabber blue basecoat.

P1010686-vi.jpg

David, if you could measure and post the inner and outer tire and out wheel measurements when you hav e chance, it would be much appreciated. This is the first "modern" 1/12 scale kit with modern wheels and tires from Revell, so there may be many uses for the rolling stock.

The build is looking great so far. Will you be adding working sequential turn signal lights, too? :D

Edited by Casey

So let me get this straight.

In 2011 Revell gives us a 1:12 scale kit without opening doors, without an opening boot, whithout bonnet hinges as far as I can see it, but with McPherson struts with springs cast as one piece, a one-piece rear suspension cum axle half, and brake discs cast with calipers as one piece?

Edited by Junkman

In 2011 Revell gives us a 1:12 scale kit without opening doors, without an opening boot, whithout bonnet hinges as far as I can see it, but with McPherson struts with springs cast as one piece, a one-piece rear suspension cum axle half, and brake discs cast with calipers as one piece?

Yup that's the size of it, but while it's not as detailed as a Tamiya 1:12 it also cost considerably less than $100

My sentiments exactly. Looks like Revell's priority was keeping the price down, not making the best kit possible. Probably a smart business move, but disappointing to those of us like Christian and myself that expect better (and are willing to pay for better). Of course one could argue that any competent modeler could add the opening doors and trunk and missing or simplified details...and that's true enough... but still, I would have preferred a far more detailed kit at a higher price than an enlarged 1/24 scale kit at a "bargain" price.

Most of us cant afford these higher prices, While I do buy and collect model cars, die-cast and plastic I still shop for bargains. It seems like 90% of builders want these models to be real. I know building has progressed and some are super detailed and terrific looking. But those like myself don't buy pocher and most tamiya kits for this reason. I give thumbs up to revell for helping us guys out that want to build bigger kits without the high price. Is it really the kit or the low price?

My sentiments exactly. Looks like Revell's priority was keeping the price down, not making the best kit possible. Probably a smart business move, but disappointing to those of us like Christian and myself that expect better (and are willing to pay for better). Of course one could argue that any competent modeler could add the opening doors and trunk and missing or simplified details...and that's true enough... but still, I would have preferred a far more detailed kit at a higher price than an enlarged 1/24 scale kit at a "bargain" price.

Most people who buy 1:12 scale buy because of the impressive size not the detail, and that is why you see a lot more 1:12 scale Revell - Monogram 1:12 scale kits build than Tamiya, doyusha, and Pocher. The business case is there for simple to build large scale kits. If super detail was so important in this market Pocher would still be selling kits.

Most people who buy 1:12 scale buy because of the impressive size not the detail, and that is why you see a lot more 1:12 scale Revell - Monogram 1:12 scale kits build than Tamiya, doyusha, and Pocher. The business case is there for simple to build large scale kits. If super detail was so important in this market Pocher would still be selling kits.

Pocher never made anything but 1/8 scale kits, and they never catered to the casual modeler. They were definitely "upscale" kits aimed at advanced builders, with exceptional detail and priced where they had to be priced in order to make the best kits possible. They never cut corners in order to appeal to the masses (except for their very last release, a 1993 Porsche 911, which was a mere shadow of earlier Pocher releases). And they didn't go out of business due to poor sales, but a rather complicated mix of mismanagement, an ill-fated sale, and a factory fire that sort of put the final nail in their coffin.

I have to disagree with your point that large scale kits are bought simply because they're "big." I think that one of the greatest selling points of a large-scale kit is the detail level possible; far greater than in smaller scales.

I think they missed the mark a bit on this kit. Yeah, I know... it's relatively "cheap," so a lot of people will be happy about that. But they could have put a little more effort into it and also pleased the more advanced builders... adding separate wipers, not molding the brake disks and calipers in one piece (which would have made for easier detailing and a much more realistic final appearance), maybe separate metal springs for the struts... a small PE sheet with emblems, that sort of thing. Sure it may have added a few bucks to the MSRP, but it would have made for a more satisfying building experience.

I'm not down on the kit... having a new, large scale kit is a good thing. But it could have been better, and not for all that much more money.

And, despite the simplification, I would once again defy anyone to look at the pic of the built model in the other thread and then tell me this kit is lacking in anything.

I'd still rather have the big Mustang for $70 than I would the Trumpeter Falcon for $50 ... any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

You're making a comparison that's irrelevant.

What Trumpeter did or didn't do with their Falcon has nothing to do with what Revell did or didn't do with this kit.

If you think the Revell Mustang is a good kit and you like it, then fine... but I reserve my right to think otherwise.

Pocher never made anything but 1/8 scale kits, and they never catered to the casual modeler. They were definitely "upscale" kits aimed at advanced builders, with exceptional detail and priced where they had to be priced in order to make the best kits possible. They never cut corners in order to appeal to the masses (except for their very last release, a 1993 Porsche 911, which was a mere shadow of earlier Pocher releases). And they didn't go out of business due to poor sales, but a rather complicated mix of mismanagement, an ill-fated sale, and a factory fire that sort of put the final nail in their coffin.

I have to disagree with your point that large scale kits are bought simply because they're "big." I think that one of the greatest selling points of a large-scale kit is the detail level possible; far greater than in smaller scales.

I think they missed the mark a bit on this kit. Yeah, I know... it's relatively "cheap," so a lot of people will be happy about that. But they could have put a little more effort into it and also pleased the more advanced builders... adding separate wipers, not molding the brake disks and calipers in one piece (which would have made for easier detailing and a much more realistic final appearance), maybe separate metal springs for the struts... a small PE sheet with emblems, that sort of thing. Sure it may have added a few bucks to the MSRP, but it would have made for a more satisfying building experience.

I'm not down on the kit... having a new, large scale kit is a good thing. But it could have been better, and not for all that much more money.

Having run a hobby shop in the past as well as having been a dealer traveling to shows and swap meets I have to say that Revell made the right decision. The expensive High detail kits simply don't sell, some of them even when marked down well below cost. The typical model simply won't spend as much for a kit, than the typical forum member, and even we are called cheap sometimes. To the general model building public These big kits are hot sellers for birthdays and christmas presents. with few exceptions the people never bought these for themselves. Same thing with the nearly un-buildable clear engine kits and such. These kits are novelties and are usually released in the third quarter so they are on the shelves before christmas. Keep in mind also for the average builder, while it allows for more detail it also makes mistakes more visible. The less there is to screw up the better.

You're making a comparison that's irrelevant.

What Trumpeter did or didn't do with their Falcon has nothing to do with what Revell did or didn't do with this kit.

If you think the Revell Mustang is a good kit and you like it, then fine... but I reserve my right to think otherwise.

The comparison is relevent because they will be on the same isle of the hobby shop and the consumer will be making a chioce on how to best spend his money.

I think it's very relevant in terms of which kit represents the better bargain ... and the Mustang wins that comparison in a walk, IMO,

Which model is the better "bargain" is open to debate, and you're comparing apples to oranges.

The Mustang is very simplified. It's basically nothing more than a double-sized 1/24 scale kit, with no extra features or details I would expect from a large scale kit, but selling for more than twice the price of a 1/24 scale kit.

The Falcon is an entirely different issue. Yeah, it's inaccurate and overpriced, but saying the Mustang is a better bargain than the Falcon is like saying a pair of jeans at $40 is a better bargain than a shirt at $25. There are two completely different sets of parameters at work.

Well, speaking as a parts geek of the most rabidly OCD variety - opening doors, working suspension and steering, working lights, Pochers, Enthusiast Series, MFH, bring it all - I'm sittin' here jiggling my foot, finger-tapping my desk, doin' the full Kinison with the LHS every fifteen minutes: "Is it IN YET? Y'all GOT 'EM YET?? WHERE IZZIT??" about that 1/12 GT500. And it ain't just the subject that's got me beside myself about the first domestic twelfth-scaler in more than two decades - a 1:12 2010 Camaro or Challenger woulda been just as cool.

I sympathize with craving the dings and tweets of more bells and whistles, deeply. But it's not as if Revell/Monogram gave us the first reason to expect anything different. Look at Monogram's last five 1/12 models - none of them had opening doors. Only one even had poseable steering. The vintage Chevy subjects at least went as far as to offer a couple versions, but Monogram's large-scale philosophy has basically been set since the initial sales sluggishness of the Big Deuce and the color-matching boondoggle of the E-Type Jag; from the 1965 'Vette on, Monogram's big-scales just ain't been much more than bi-scale kits writ large. And I don't see anything as crude as the Testarossa or as misproportioned as the F-40 here.

Would I have LOVED engine hoses, opening doors, and steerable wheels? Eeeyyyooooouuu betcha.

I'll still take five, please.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Which model is the better "bargain" is open to debate, and you're comparing apples to oranges.

The Mustang is very simplified. It's basically nothing more than a double-sized 1/24 scale kit, with no extra features or details I would expect from a large scale kit, but selling for more than twice the price of a 1/24 scale kit.

The Falcon is an entirely different issue. Yeah, it's inaccurate and overpriced, but saying the Mustang is a better bargain than the Falcon is like saying a pair of jeans at $40 is a better bargain than a shirt at $25. There are two completely different sets of parameters at work.

It's only apples and oranges if scale is something that matters to you. What you have here is two different model cars, with similar price points. If I had to chose between the two I would chose the one that most faithfully captures the look of the prototype. If there were a third option like the 1/25 scale revell GT500 I would chose that as it offers similar levels of accuracy and I don't have to fingd the room to display a 1/12 size kit.