Model Cars Magazine Forum

nascar race / Demolition Derby

I agree with what Kyle Petty said after the race. They should have thrown the yellow after Jeff got in the wall, he would have had to come down pit road for repairs and cooler heads would have prevailed. They also muffed it by not throwing a caution after Danica hit the wall (not her fault BTW, 31 'pooned her). But I have to admit things were happening fast. It would have saved a lot of carnage at the finish line. I thought it was cool that Newman crossed the line ahead of BK backwards!

And NASCAR has handed out the penalties from Sunday, and they are

Jeff Gordon has been dock 25 driver points, fined $100,000 and placed on probation tell Dec 31st

Rick Hendrick (car owner) has also been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points

Alan Gustafson, crew chief of the #24 car, also was found to be in violation of Section 9-4A (at all events, crew chief assumes responsibility of his driver, car owner and team members) and has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Brian Pattie, crew chief of the #15 car, violated Sections 12-1 and 9-4A and has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Brad Keselowski, driver of the #2 car, has been fined $25,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31 for violating Sections 12-1 and 20-6.7A (cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete) driver had a cell phone in his possession onboard the race car. All of these violations occurred during the Nov. 11 event at PIR.

Jeff Gordon has been dock 25 driver points, fined $100,000 and placed on probation tell Dec 31st

Rick Hendrick (car owner) has also been penalized with the loss of 25 championship owner points

Alan Gustafson, crew chief of the #24 car, also was found to be in violation of Section 9-4A (at all events, crew chief assumes responsibility of his driver, car owner and team members) and has been placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Brian Pattie, crew chief of the #15 car, violated Sections 12-1 and 9-4A and has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31.

Brad Keselowski, driver of the #2 car, has been fined $25,000 and placed on probation until Dec. 31 for violating Sections 12-1 and 20-6.7A (cars and drivers will not be permitted to carry onboard computers, automated electronic recording devices, electronically actuated devices, power distribution modules, power conditioners, micro-processors, recording devices, electronic digital memory chips, traction control devices, digital readout gauges and the like, even if inoperable or incomplete) driver had a cell phone in his possession onboard the race car. All of these violations occurred during the Nov. 11 event at PIR.

And Clint Boyer's crew and crew chief got nothing for gang-jumping Jeff Gordon from behind??? :o

Who's running the penalty decisions, Kyle Busch?

:blink::wacko:

Jeff was off to side , the pile up was crew members from the #24/#15 team, Jeff was being held back and then shortly after he was taken into his hauler

You did not watch it very closely.

The 15 crew members jumped Jeff from behind after he got out of the car and removed his helmet. You could clearly see in the initial onslaught that the 15 crew knocked Jeff to the pavement ... it was Jeff they were piling on when the 24 crew joined in. His crew responded by taking on the 15 crew. It was then that Jeff was pulled out of the melee and hustled into the hauler.

One of the TV announcers said the 24 crew was holding Jeff back, but the guy he was talking about was one of the crew (he was wearing a helmet). Gordon had already removed his helmet and placed it on the roof of the 24 car, so he was not at the toolbox where the announcer thought he was. Jeff was never being held back ... hate to say it, but Jeff was being rescued.

Really, $25K for a cell phone in the car?? They were just mad about his comments after the race. At least he wasn't texting while driving :o

Yep, there is no freedom of speech in NASCAR

Edit, I forgot, NASCAR did add to the NASCAR rule book after the Daytona 500 that no cell phones, or devices like it or allowed in the race car during any official on track timing sessions ( practice,qual,race) .

The reason why is that you can control a Traction control device through blue tooth, and a TC devices are smaller then a cell phone, so that is the reason for the phone ban in the cars. No TC allowed

Edited by martinfan5

So you have not watch very many race's this year have you?, so what Gordon did today has come from season's of hard racing between him and Bowyer, do you remember what Bowyer did at Martinsville's?, I am not taking sides here, but Gordon should of waited tell after the race.

What the crews did, sure that was over the line, but its expected, Bowyer still had a shot at winning the championship, and Gordon took that chance away, I dont blame the the #15 team for being pissed off, you would be too if you were a crew member, this not the first time crew members have gotten involved, and wont be last

I do see the #15 team being penalized this week, I am never looked forward tell Tuesday

Your right I dont watch very many Napcar races as Im more of an Open Wheel fan IE Formula 1 and IRL but a fan of anything that has four wheels and goes fast. I do however love to build Napcar models. I have watched enough to know that Jeff Gordon has been protected and catered too too many years now that he needs to have his binky taken from him and treated like a man for once. I totally agree with you GORDON should have waited till after the races to address any ill feelings he had with Boyer. Not handled it the way he did during the race. BUt that will never happen cuz hes the Napcar wonder boy, chosen one.

What the crews did was over the line and totally NOT to be expected during a race on National Television. Once again handle it after the races in the garages or hauler areas. Im on Boyers side here Martinfan. I woulda been jacked too but not have handled it like they did. Especially trying to sneek Gordon. Handle it like a man face to face and knukkle up. Its all part of racing IF handled properly.

Nascar better handle this properly and penalize BOTH teams or its just another prooven reason that the 24 team is the catered too chosen crew of Nascar.

Nascar better handle this properly and penalize BOTH teams or its just another prooven reason that the 24 team is the catered too chosen crew of Nascar.

Really, $25K for a cell phone in the car?? They were just mad about his comments after the race. At least he wasn't texting while driving :o

More about what can/could be done with that cell phone in the car.

Bottom line, HE KNEW THE RULE!!! So pay the fine and shut up.

Brad had been warned the last time he had his phone with him in the car not to do it again. While I do like Brad, and would like to see him take the title, he still broke the rules and should accept the punishment.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get punished, a rule is a rule. But $25K seems a little steep for that infraction.

I thought it was the best race for years, it brought me back to the 70s-80s, when u took care of it on the track, i was proud of gordon, even though iam not a fan of his,.

Boyer should have gotten a fine also, he started it.. I've been a Gordon fan quite a while, he was pretty much the first driver of my generation that hit it big in NASCAR.

As far as Brad, he should use a hands-free set up for his cell phone when in the car... :) I can understand his wanting to catch up on his tweets and emails when stuck at the red..I do the same thing at long red lights.. :)

Besides, he's 'Bad Brad', if the kid is going to stake his brand as a 'bad boy', he needs to accumulate some fines...good for the brand image.

Edited by Rob Hall