Model Cars Magazine Forum

MODELER'S AN fittings

As far I know, no.. it's no longer available....

And besides these ones from Pro Tech , Detail Master , RB Motion, you can find from Hobby Design too.

... and no, none of these come in blue/read :-(

Edited by Drago

Thanks Donn & Alexandre, but Pro Tech etc are not a viable option, gets real expensive real fast for the amount I'm after, see http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72174 cost me a small fortune bringing a heap of Pro Tech's braided line down under. Maybe I should just do box stock or quit the hobby altogether. No, that just ain't gonna work. & Donn love the DVD's, picked up so many useful tips.

Casey, I,ve had them for about 15+ yrs, they were complete. I tried Google to with no success.

Get over to fusionbeads.com and look hex Japanese seed beads. I got 4 or 5 different sizes. The ones I bought (real cheap) are silver lined crystal or something. They have the beads in colors and wonder how close the red and blue would be to AN fittings.

Get over to fusionbeads.com and look hex Japanese seed beads.

http://www.fusionbeads.com/search#!&ea_q=hex%20Japanese%20seed%20beads%20%3B%3B%20productsearch

The problem with beads and hex stock IMHO is that the A-N fitting are rarely hex "slices" with straight cut ends, so you still need to address the semi-rounded ends, stepped shoulders, and spacers/threaded collar details when you don't use machined A-N fittings.

The hex beads Jim mentioned are the best I've seen as far as beads are concerned, provided the are not distorted.

On the flip side of that coin, Casey, is the cost. Scale AN fittings cost what - like $10 for 10 pieces?

Yes, depending upon the scale, about $1.00 each sounds right.

I bought 4 grams of various sizes for less than that and have hundreds of fittings.

Technically you have short sections of hex rod, since every piece is the same, but you do have lot of them.

Using the image below, I see four different pieces-- three fittings and one 90* bend. You'd still need to shape the ends and/or narrow the width of the hex beads you bought, so while you've only spent a few cents per piece, you have to invest a lot of time to make them look like the real parts.

ss_lines_adaptor_90_picture.jpg

I am of the opinion that if you're going to go through the effort to add tiny details to a scale model engine to make it look more like the real thing, those detail parts should look like the real parts. Yes, it's going to cost more upfront, and some aren't willing or able to spend the extra, but even $100 spent on 100 A-N fittings seems a small price to pay compared to spending ten minutes on each bead shaping the ends, reaming out the center bores, and shortening each one to the same exact size as every other similar fitting.

• Like 1