Model Cars Magazine Forum

got Vegetables?

mnwildpunk

• 2 weeks later...

I built a second keyhole garden in the back yard. It's a 6' diameter raised bed with compost basket in the middle. It is supposed to be "fed" from the compost and need very little water. Last year, we got plants, but no veggies. This year, I got the idea that the whole compost/little water idea is hokey. I laid soaker hoses on top and...wow! I'm about to have more Poblanos than I know what to do with! I think I have 9 plants and they sprout more peppers every day. The biggest is only an inch or so long, but I think it will be more than we can eat. Also growing bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, shallots, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, etc.

I really can't wait to make home made Chili Rellenos with Poblanos from my own back yard.

Edited by LDO

Dan will be first always to the farmer's market lol. Do you have a build thread for that?

Thanks....but I built that back about 1995. It's a TD Paddy Wagon with Pie Wagon parts and wheels from a Monogram Woody. The rest is scratch built with the veggies from oven bake clay.

I'm about to have more Poblanos than I know what to do with! I think I have 9 plants and they sprout more peppers every day. The biggest is only an inch or so long, but I think it will be more than we can eat. Also growing bell peppers, jalapenos, onions, shallots, tomatoes, zucchini, spinach, etc.

I really can't wait to make home made Chili Rellenos with Poblanos from my own back yard.

You guys are making me hungry! :D

My dad (RIP, dad) always had his little garden in our back yard when I was a kid. And he kept it up all his life. Peppers and tomatoes were his biggest "crop," but he also did lettuce, cucumbers, onions, beans... all sorts of stuff. He grew up poor, in a small town, when growing your own food wasn't a hobby, but a necessity, and he kept it up his whole life, long after he needed to do it anymore. A nice memory of my dad... :)

A deer once ate a jalapeño plant of mine, peppers included, all the way to the ground.

I have a garden bed right next to my front door. It's behind a hedge like system of plants, so I thought I could plant nice things there and the deer wouldn't dare come that close to the house... maybe in the middle of the night... I didn't count on this... broad daylight...

IMG_0213-vi.jpg

Yea, this shot tells you just how close they'll come in broad daylight...

IMG_0216-vi.jpg

And this guy saw me and trotted up the front step for a handout.

DSC00319-vi.jpg

Some of the other stuff that shows up in my yard...

sheep_close-vi.jpg

Yea, this guy too. An escapee from a local farm.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the first time I've had veggies from my own back yard since I was a kid...back in the 1970s.

I picked one zucchini and 14 jalapeños. The zucchini got bread crumbs and grated parmesan, then sautéed. The jalapeños got stuffed. It all went with store bought steak and potatoes. We do have potatoes growing, though.

Pretty cool, IMHO. I'll try to post a photo later. On my phone now.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's dinner with veggies from the back yard. Sautéed Zucchini with bread crumbs and grated parmesan. Pechuga Poblana; grilled chicken with sautéed poblano peppers and onions, topped with Monterey Jack cheese and green onions...and canned corn. Chicken recipe is a copy of a meal from a local restaurant. Turned out great!