Model Cars Magazine Forum

New guy

Hey everybody I just wanted to drop in and say hey. I've just recently, a couple days ago actually, started building models again. I loved building them when I was around 12-15 or so but once I got my drivers license they kind of went to the back burner. I'm now 28, and have kids of my own. I had mentioned something that I wanted to build another kit a while back. A friend of mine got me a Revell kit, an 81 Grand Prix and an 86 Monte Carlo Aero-coupe. They are both #3 Dale Earnhardt cars (my favorite driver since I was about 3 or 4). It was a great gift and I was excited to get started. Well we had our second child a short time after that so I didn't ever start on it and it got put on a shelf in the garage.

I cleaned the garage out this past weekend and saw that box. Monday after work I stopped at Hobby Lobby and picked up some supplies and started on it that night. I've been working on it every night after work so far and I forgot how much I enjoy doing this. I'm not great at it, but it's starting to come back. I remember the smell of that testor's paint and glue like it was yesterday.

Anyway, sorry I got a little long there, just excited to find a forum to share my passion with others.

Joey

Edited by JFortner5

Here's the engine almost completed, still have a little touch up to do and put the breathers on the valve cover.

1707FF94-33F5-45E0-B3FE-C08DB1A0CDD4-101

Here is the primered chassis, nothing exciting yet-

500C9B8D-1773-4FFB-8408-601DD7D29DA5-101

And finally the painted chassis, should be about done drying as I type this-

856242A3-524A-46C2-A6D8-A51A97169C19-101

As you can see my current paint booth is the top half of the box the kit came in. BTW, these pictures are of the Monte Carlo. I wish I'd have started with the Pontiac first to practice on but it's going fairly well so far. I'm a little nervous about painting the body, I've never done a two tone before.

Ill post more when I can, and thank you all for the welcome.

Edited by JFortner5

I've been working on it every night after work so far and I forgot how much I enjoy doing this. I'm not great at it, but it's starting to come back. I remember the smell of that testor's paint and glue like it was yesterday.

Anyway, sorry I got a little long there, just excited to find a forum to share my passion with others.

Joey

Welcome to the forum, Joey, and back to the hobby, too. I think many people here have had a similar experience, and that's one of the nice things about this hobby. You can jump back in at any time and pick up where you left off.

Welcome back !

Your comment about the smells really hit home. I quit for 45 years, but the smell of Testor's tube glue and little bottles of paint was immediately recognizable. Looks like you're off to a good (re)start. Let us know when you find yourself browsing the hobby and fabric stores repeatably for "stuff you can use on your next model". Tha's when the hook is set deep.